Which antibiotic for burn infection?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by slowdreamer, Mar 5, 2011.

1. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

From past experience I am unlikely to tolerate these drugs but if the Infection gets away and the garlic and Vit C don't do the job well then...I may have no choice.
    Can anyone advise of an antibiotic for a general infection that is more well tolerated and less destructive to the digestion.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

The only antiboitic I can tolerate is Amocillian. Its a broad range one.

I believe its the one to Dr.Cheney reccommends.
  3. rocky76

rocky76 Member

Colloidal Silver water is a great antiboitic...

And they use it in Burn Units...

Also you can find Band Aids with Colloidal Silver on them...

Its used on the Space Station...
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

A study in Kashmir illustrated the efficacy of treating burns with honey where a high percentage of the population could not afford the standard medical treatments.

Honey has antibiotic qualities, so it's a topical option. We like Active Manuka Honey for burns and more, it's worked well so far and is an essential part of our first aid kit. There are many articles on honey for wound healing and as an antibacterial.

Scientists have discovered a specific protein

and why they think Manuka honey works for MRSA

Honey for mild and moderate burns.

When on long term low dose Doxy I started to have GI tract problems, the only product that calmed those down was Primal Defense, it worked well enough for me to complete the course.

Good luck with finding the right AB should you need one.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2011]
  5. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Thankyou so much Rocky, Tansy, gbs,and gb66..

Just back from the clinic and my wound is healing o'kay, no antibiotics needed at this stage but the above is very useful to file away for something dire.

Tansy I started using honey 3 days ago so it is probably keeping things under control.
    the young intern I had a consult with had never read any" research " indicating honey was useful so he questioned my approach, Duh but then the nurse came in and started arguing with him saying she started using honey when she worked overseas in London and it was wonderful..

Then the young intern said i needed a tetanus shot...more good humored arguments..you could probably hear us in the next room...

I believe tetanus is one of the worst and is sometimes considered a risk factor for CFS..
    Young intern had never read this research. !!!!!

Oh spare me the zeal of a doctor spewed out by the medical school and nurtured by the Pharma Companies...
    A bit tiring but a reasonably satisfying outing.
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Slowdreamer. Pleased your wound is healing OK. Loved the comment about the nurse knowing more about the use of honey than the young Intern, I've often found nurses better informed on a wide variety of health issues.

I agree about the Tetanus shot, had a similar difference of opinion with my GP some years ago. Many years later he's more cautious about pushing immunisation for PWME. In his case it took Jonathan Kerr's gene expression studies to change his attitude towards ME; he used to be against GET etc, and pro pacing, but I wonder if that will change now. [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2011]
  7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I see that you are doing ok, but if things get worse, I want to second the recommendations for silver and honey....both are and have been used in hospitals for a long time and are very safe and have antibiotic properties as well as helping to speed healing

also as to the tetanus shot......I had one a yr into being sick (didn't know about avoiding vaccines then) and it definitely made me substantially worse (& I never improved from what it did either)
  8. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Thanks Aunt Tammie, Lets hope the intern learnt something from my visit..Heh isn't it meant to be the other way around.?
    I will look into the silver.

The Tetanus Question came up when I was being assessed by the Education board . They had to decide
    a) was I really "sick"
    b) was it depression or ME/CFs

This involved a psychiatrist and a highly regarded but eagle eyed and sceptical physician.
    One of the questions was, Had I had a tetanus shot in the period prior to coming down with CFS? so I guess they had their data.. I think tetanus has some connection to the bowel does anybody know/
    For the record at the end of an exhausting interrogation, the physician softened and acknowledged the severity of my condition.
    He then apologized on behalf of himself and his cooleagues for not having a cure...!!!!
    I have never forgotten that session 18 yrs ago .
  9. kbak

kbak Member

I'll tell you what worked really well for us. My DH is an EMT, I use to be one before I got sick. I have been spending a long time learning different alternative therapies to compliment allopathic medicine. My DH got a bad second degree burn on his hand and wrist. I asked him if I could experiment on him with things I heard about that were good for treating burns.

After all it's hard to tell if something works if you don't get to use them in real life situations, so I treated the burn fist with collidial siver and then used raw unfiltered honey to cover the wound and then dress it. Honey (raw) is suppose to be a very good healer. It worked beautifully!! He even had it looked at by a burn nurse, and she couldn't believe how good it looked and the fact that it spared his nerves. She said that with those kinds of burns you usually have nerve damage and he had none.

Now I don't know how long you've had this burn infection so I don't know for sure if this would work on you since you already have an infection and I treated my DH hours after his injury, but it's info none the less.

Good Luck!