which antidepressant work Best for Irritability HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by witsend, Nov 8, 2002.

1. witsend

witsend New Member

My husband suffers from extreme irritability and defensiveness which has made my illness so much worse due to stress. He has finally agreed to talk with family doc about medication. Can anyone give me input on what meds might work well for these symptoms. I have been reading about Buspar, Wellbutrin, and Serzone. Has any one had luck with these meds for these symptoms? Family doc is willing but not had a lot of experience. I am so afraid the wrong med might make him worse and what it would do to my already fragile existence.
  2. witsend

witsend New Member

My husband suffers from extreme irritability and defensiveness which has made my illness so much worse due to stress. He has finally agreed to talk with family doc about medication. Can anyone give me input on what meds might work well for these symptoms. I have been reading about Buspar, Wellbutrin, and Serzone. Has any one had luck with these meds for these symptoms? Family doc is willing but not had a lot of experience. I am so afraid the wrong med might make him worse and what it would do to my already fragile existence.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It all depends on WHY your husband is this way. Irritability and defensiveness are emotional symptoms, and it make take a counselor of some type to get to the root of it. These drugs affect everyone differently. Try using the search facility here to look at previous posts on these drugs. Just put in the name of the drug and all posts with that in it should come up. Buspar is mainly for anxiety, not depression. Welbutrin is for depression, not anxiety, and can cause a huge surge in energy. The only one I would definitely tell him to avoid is Prozac, which is notorious for making people irritable.
    I hope you can get to the bottom of it.
    Klutzo
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Can also be caused by our lousy diets. Cut out the sugars and starches and your mood really gets mellow!

Marilyn :)
  5. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

You're lucky your husband has agreed to talk about it with the Doc. My husband is also irritable and crabby all the time because I am sick and haven't worked since 2000.
    I look perfectly fine to him so he feels that there is nothing Major wrong with me and that I should go out and get a job. (Sound familiar?)
    I also told him to get some medication and he Did tell the Doc, but he was given some kind of Sleeping pill instead
    (which he says he doesn't need), So we're back to square one
    again and he refuses to take an anti-depressant.
    The only thing I can tell you is that I have tried a lot of them and the ones that work the best for me are the "Serotonin Reuptakes" like Zoloft or Prozac. I tried Wellbutrin but it just made me crabby and jumpy.
    Your husband will probably have to experiment with a couple of them until he finds one that works the best for him.
    Good Luck,
    LOVE
    HOUSEOFBLUES
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, I take Xanax at night only, but I sure can deal with just about anything when I take that small dose!

This is just a story about my husband and Xanax. He just recently got his teeth pulled. Well he is a big guy, and afraid of the dentist. The dentist is a little man. He was so nervous in the dentist chair, that I think the man was a bit afraid of him.

The dentist asked him would he mind taking a Xanax before he came for his appointments. He didn't like the idea as he does not take anything in the line of meds.

Well, he took a 0.5 milligram of Xanax tablet, and I drove him to the dentist (he was not sure what the drug would do to him!).

When he came out of that office, he was just fine, he even insisted we go shopping, and then in about an hour and a half , he wanted to go eat! I could not believe my eyes.
    Here is a man that is usually a basket case with the dentist, coming and going.

We spent a most pleasant evening! I begin to look forward to his 'trips' to the dentist!

Honestly, it made such a differece in his whole demenor, that I was amazed.

Since then, whenever he gets a little antsy with me, I ask him if he would like a Xanax!! Its a joke around here.

He also tells me to take my Xanax in the evening, as I get tired and can be a real nasty little lady sometimes if he pushes me too much.

Just though I would tell you the story, maybe it might help.

Shalom, Shirl

7. selma

selma New Member

The only one who can solve your hubby's problem is him.
    No sense worrying which med etc. Wouldn't hurt if you gave him the results of your searches for him to decide.
    You can't change him or make him happy. He is Responsible for his own happiness. Happiness is a choice. Take good care of you and that is the only one YOU can take care of, since he is an adult. You are NOT responsible for how he feels. GOD bless you. Selma