Which Beno's for Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monica33flowers, Jun 14, 2009.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Lately I've been having terrible panic attacks and I was wondering other people used that help their panic attacks.

I did try diazepam but it didn't seem to do much....they gave it to me in the hospital.

Do most dr.'s prescribe a benzo for panic attacks or are their other things that work better?

2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Xanax has worked very well for me, I take .25 three to four times a day and have for years. i use to take it when I had an attack but find that taking it regularly works best for me..I tired antidepressants but they didn't work for me, we are all different. I have a friend who takes xanax and paxil, which has worked wonders for her panic and anxiety.

Sure hope you find one that helps and a good doctor willing to work with you.

God Bless,

3. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I am currently taking Effexor XR and I had no problems when starting the med. Then we upped the dose and once again absolutely no problems. Well a couple of weeks ago I was feeling like the Effexor wasn't working as well as in the past. So my psychiatrist upped the dosage only to 75 mg. Shortly after starting the increase I started getting chest pains. I didn't think anything of it cause sometimes that happens with the fibro.

On the fourth day I had a terrible migraine that was nothing like my normal migraines. Saw my migraine dr. and he did the occipital blocks and they didn't help (normally they work great). I told my migraine dr. about the chest pain because it was becoming so much worse. They did an EKG and it was fine.

So, the next day off to the ER for the migraine. They gave me my usual combo --- dialudid and tordol and I felt great. Next day the chest pains were so bad I couldn't even walk up and down stairs.

I did a little research on my own and found that Effexor can have some rare side affects just like I was having.

Today I will see the psychiatrist and hopefully work this out. I've stopped the increased dose and I'm still having bad chest pain all the time. Before the Effexor I was experiencing panic attacks as well but only maybe once a month.
  4. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I take clonazepam (generic Klonepin) for mine I take 1/2 of a
    0.5 mg 3 times a day. I keep it in my system at all times. And it does help to let it dissolve under the tongue so it will work faster.
  5. frankielee

frankielee Member

Oh, how I miss the mountains. We lived in Wilkesboro for 19 years and we are back in Greensboro now. I miss only being 30 minutes away from the mountains. A great get away when I was feeling down. Good to see someone from NC here. I also take klonopin when needed. They also work better for me than antidepressants. I feel relaxed and can think better. I also dissolve under tongue.
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I have to disagree with your theory of what causes panic attacks.

I developed serotonin syndrome on SSRIs even though I was taking nothing else which effected serotonin.

I also developed depression although I was not depressed before taking and was taking for energy.

I used Xanax very effectively for panic disorder. I no longer have panic attacks and any anxiety I might feel is easily managed with mindfulness. I now use it for sleep but at a much reduced dose.

I'm glad you have found a way to manage your symptoms but, as you said, we are all different.

All the best to all,
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

The thing that helped me was an A/d - Effexor XR
  8. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I too am glad to find some one in N.C. Where did you live in Wilkesboro? Do you know Autrey's Flea Market on 421 West?
    I am the manager there and also have a tee shirt shop.

You are still pretty close to the mtns. I used to do craft shows in the Greensboro coliseum.

9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Cathugs and Frankietee, I live in VA but right on the NC line not far from Greensboro or WIlkesboro .. The doc I was seeing for Panic / Anxiety etc was in Winston-Salem, NC.. So good to chat with someone close. Oh, is North Wilkesboro near Wilkesboro?

10. cathugs

cathugs New Member

Yeah,greatgran there is just a bridge separating the two. For years it has been suggested that the two towns consolidate, but the powers that be refuse to do so.
    Wilkesboro is a much easier place to live than N. Wilkesboro.
    The commissioners are always fighting among themselves and with every body else.
    The Wilkesboro side is always pretty quiet. I live out side the Wilkesboro city limits. My little town only has one redlight. Which we are not corporated into a town. They tried to do this a few years ago. It was voted down. We pay enough taxes without adding city taxes.

God Bless. ((((cathugs))))
  11. frankielee

frankielee Member

When we moved there, we lived in North Wilkesboro in a small development called Mimosa park. My husband worked at the hospital. Then we moved to Wilkesboro in a development called The Greens off Country Club Road. If I ever lived there again, I think Millers Creek would be a great area. How long have you been in business? Is the flea market going towards Boone? The place has grown since we left. Of course when we left, the mall was still open, so you can see how long ago we left. It's been about 16 years since we left, but we still have friends. I read the Wilkes record on line every week. I was invited to a wedding in Wilkesboro with the reception at the Walker Center last summer, and I was so upset that I couldn't go because of my health. I have missed out on a lot of things in the last 2 1/2 years. How's the business doing? I read the Wilkes Record on line tonight and the nurse who was the head of nurses at Wilkes Hospital when we were there, Pauline Tedder, died. We were young when we lived there, had a lot of good times.