WHICH DOCTOR SHOULD I SEE FOR SHOULDER PAIN?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgp, Mar 2, 2011.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have had ongoing shoulder pain for some time in my right shouder; not the blade, the actual top and upper rear shoulder. I do have carpal tunnel in my right hand, so I am suspect of a nerve condition or something along those lines. I also do know that shoulder pain is very common for fibro sufferers.

My husband says, see the chirpopractor, as does my friend. If I see the regualr internist, I am afraid she will just prescribe pain killers, when I want to squash the source of the pain altogether if possible. So should I see the internist, the chiropractor, osteo/sports injury docs, the neurologist, or the rheumatologist that diagnosed my fibro? I do like all the docs, have good relationships with all of them, but I don't want to waste time and money with the wrong doctor? Which one is the way to go?

Thanks--Laura
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Is it the joint where arm and shoulder meet? It could be thoriac outlet.

mine was diagnosed be a chiro,but I reccommed going to ortho. They told me it was the worst case they had ever seen. I actually loose my pulse when arm is raised up above head.

It is a nerve being caught. does your arm go numb too? carpal tunnel can cause all kinds of problems too.

jen
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I've had problems w both shoulders: very painful tendonitis, bursitis, joint impingement. Went thru phys therapy, anti-inflammatories, cortisone injections, and then finally outpatient arthroscopic surgery.

I saw an Orthopedic Surgeon both times, same guy 20 yrs apart. He fixed me, and the surgery was well worth it. The first time I suffered for several yrs before I gave in and had surgery. The second time, I knew better and didn't wait as long.

I still have to be careful not to overuse my shoulders w repetitive motions, but they're almost good as new for the most part.