Which doctor should I use?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amaryllis, Jan 8, 2003.

1. amaryllis

amaryllis New Member

I read these boards all the time, but I have never posted before, so here it goes.

I see that so many here use Rheumatologists. I was diagnosed by my GP as having fibromyalgia quite some time ago and in the last year my neurologist has confirmed the fibro diagnosis and added MPS and Peripheral Neuropathy. I do get some really great care with my neuro, but I wonder, should I be seeing a Rheumy? I am a little afraid to switch because I just love my doctor. He gives great care and compassion (sometimes he is the only one) but I also find that his treatment methods are a little slower than I would like. It could just be me being impatient and wanting relief NOW instead of waiting for 6-8 weeks between visits. He has told me many times in the past that if I need to see him sooner, all I need to do is call.

Right now he has me on pamelor, xanax, flexeril, reglan, synthroid, imitrex injections and lortabs. I only take the xanax when I feel a panic coming on, the flexeril he gave me for muscular aches and spasms although it is not really working. Reglan I take only when I feel queasy from migraine headaches, synthroid I take daily, imitrex only for migraines and lortabs for pain. I feel like a total mess most of the time but do feel I am getting great care. I am waiting for another appointment for a sort of physical therapy review and to review the meds he has me on. That appointment will be in another few weeks. My physical therapist works closely with my doctor and recommended that I start taking magnesium, zinc, vitamin B-12, omega 3 fatty acid and calcium to see if that makes a difference in how I feel day to day. I have been doing PT for three months and do not feel as though it has made a difference. I hate popping all of those pills every day but I am willing to give it all a fair try.

If you have read this far and have been able to make any sense out of anything here, thank you. :) In all of my reading as of late I have been able to gather information to ask my doctor about, so thank you for being here! And thanks, too on the threads about magnesium -- it was creating quite the problem with my system and it was this site that I learned all I needed to do was decrease the dose.

Peace,
    ~A
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad you decided to join us, and yes I did read you whole post! It was not long, and very easy to read.

I agree with the others, if you have such a good doctor, I would not change him. No other one is going to give you any quicker help, it just does not exist.

As for the supplements you mentioned, he is right. Most FM/CFS patients are deficient in magnesium. I take supplements, and one prescription drug.

As for the magnesium, I take the 'Pro Energy'(Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate', and also ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) the latter for sleep as well as pain.

Both are available here at Pro Health, great quality, and priced very reasonable too.

A complete B-vitamin is wonderful for us, as well as extra B-12.

If you like, just go to the 'Store' link and you can read all about the supplements, ask for a free catalog and the newsletter 'HEALTHwatch'.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. amaryllis

amaryllis New Member

Thank you all so much. I know it all takes time to find what works best, but sometimes, it is so reassuring just to hear that from people who are suffering with the DD as well.

And, Shirl, thank you. I did take the time to request a catalog from the "Store" here. I have felt most comfortable here with the information that I have read and this seems like a good place to continue on with supplement type therapy as there are so many different brands out there - ugh! - it all gets so confusing sometimes.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to my post. Your thoughts are appreciated so much!

~A
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

What is so good about the Pro Health catalog, is that the supplements, herbs, etc. are designed for FM/CFS. It makes it easier to select what you might want to try.

Also they are of the hightest quality, I would know, I have been taking supplements, herbs, vitamins, etc. for 30 years!

Plus part of the revenue of the products sold goes toward research for our illnesses. Thats always a plus.

You have a good day!

Shalom, Shirl