Which is better..does anyone know???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by notthtblonde, Jun 9, 2006.

1. notthtblonde

notthtblonde New Member

My husband is trying to do anything he can to help my symptoms. He was wondering what would be better a hot tub,
    a tanning bed (while not the best for your skin the heat does help) or one of those new deep heat saunas they have come out with. Any help would be appreciated. All are big purchases and hate to buy one if it isnt going to help.
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

... and as long as you have someone to maintain it, I'd get a hot tub. The sauna might be too much heat and tanning really is bad for your skin in spite of the vitamin D you get.

You can also do mild stretching in the hot tub when youre muscles are warm without concern about overdoing it.

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2006]
  3. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

If I could afford a hot tub I would definately get one. I hear they do wonders for pain.

What do tanning beds do?? I have never heard that they were good for us. If they give energy I am running to the tanning beds. I know they are not good for the skin, but I am suffering.
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I would pick hot tub.

A sauna is very very dry heat. Dehydrated muscles and joints could cause MORE pain.

Tanning bed - bad intense UV exposure. It ain't natural sunlight.

The downside to the hot tub is that you have to balance the chemicals carefully or you can end up with yeast infections from the irritation. I know there are a few folks on here who have one and use more eco- and human-friendly "conditioning" products.

5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

The hot tub might help your symptoms in the short run but I believe that a Far Infrared sauna would help you much more in the long term. This type of sauna is much easier on us and the detoxification that occurs ( along with other health benefits) can make quite a difference in our recovery. They are very healthy for 'normals' too.

You can do a search here and read more about them

Kathy.
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

and it is great for short-term relief. However, as pianowoman said, a far infrared sauna would be of benefit for at least a partial recovery. We would buy one if we had the $$$.

My friend has severe CFS/FM and is being treated by a knowledgeable dr. and he told her to get the Solo Sauna from Sunlight Saunas (online).

I use hers from time to time and really like it. It gives me a great feeling of well-being and relaxation. After that it makes me tired because of detoxing. I wish I could use it every day because I think that eventually I could get rid of a lot of those toxins.

Pepper
  7. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I have a garden tub which helps me so much. I just wish that it was a little larger. My DH sees how much my soaks help me and had mentioned buying a hot tub. I am also chemical sensitive and am concerned how that would affect me. He is also not "Mr FIX ANYTHING" and I do not feel like taking care of anything else.

I have never heard of the sauna that you mentioned. I will try to find out more info on that for myself. It does sound nice though.

I am heat intolerant. I have no idea what a tanning bed could do to help me. I use to look healthier when I was able to go but I am sure it wasn't healthy.

I hope you make the right decision.

8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

notthblonde:

I would go with the hot-tub. Swirling, hot water feels so good. However, if you have hypertension you have to limit your time, so I have been told by a sign where I go once in a while.

Hot tub. My vote.

nyrofan
  9. ckball

ckball New Member

and I can not do it without mine. You do not need chemicals, just like a bathtub, with jets :) I have 10 jets and bought it at Lowes for $700. I have arthritis due to a foot injury and LOVE the foot jets.

Also don't spend the extra money for a heater, I had one in my first tub and it kept it too hot. I was always adding cold water. I have issues with hot. If you keep it near your body temp, you can spend hours in it with no BP worries.

They can be installed in a matter of hours by an exereinced handyman. I have personally installed 2 with a friend.

I had a really bad day yesterday physically, yard work, dogs needed baths and I was hurting so bad. I got in the tub for about an hour and went to bed. I really thought I would be hurting terribly today but it was tolerable.

I will never do without mine. Carla.
  10. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I got mine from Lowe's for another health reason and before I was diagnosed with fm. I also use dead sea salt in mine if I'm just soaking and not running the jets. Not sure if it would actually hurt the jets or not, but I'm afraid to try. The "real" dead sea salt helps me too. There are days that I couldn't move at all if it weren't for the tub though!!!
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

I would vote for a hot tub, or the whirlpool bathtub.

But if he has high blood pressure, ask his doctor about how long he could stay in it without it being any danger to his BP.

In fact, I would ask his doc which he/she recommended as the best therapy for him.
  12. gladone

gladone New Member

Hi,

Let me just say I think the tanning bed is a bad idea. Not only bad for your skin but also the heat is not good for most of us. It heats your body from the inside out. No good with this DD.....to hard on your organs.

I would say spend your money on a spa. A better value in the long run with much more option for enjoyment (others can join you).

I have a Jacuzzi and love it. All info I have read on the matter of temp. for folks with are DD is nothing over 104 degrees.

I do pressure point massage in mine 3-4 times a week with the temp. in the range of 98-100.

I say go for it, you only live once.

Enjoy!
    Gladone

13. elliespad

elliespad Member

I would get the Far Infrared Sauna. It is different than a regular Sauna. Is the BEST method to Detox. Doesn't stress your Liver or Kidneys. Do some research on the Far Infrared.
  14. notthtblonde

notthtblonde New Member

Like I said I know the tanning bed is bad...I just feel better with a tan and the heat of it does help temporarily.
    Looks like a toss up between the sauna and the hot tub. I wonder if I can talk hubby into both...Probably not. Thanks everyone for your in-put. I am so glad I found this site. Lots of great info.
  15. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Hot tub---very good!!
    Tanning Bed- very bad!!
  16. pepper

pepper New Member

and the spot where it was found was never exposed to sunshine. However, it was exposed to a tanning bed for many sessions before I went to Barbados. I would strongly recommend staying away from it.

If it is heat you like, both the hot tub and the Far InfraRed Sauna will give it to you. Google Sunlight Saunas and check out the Solo Sauna. You lie down while you are having the sauna and can release more toxins that way.

Pepper