Which Is Better: Memory Foam Topper/Feather Bed Topper f/Mattress

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Sep 18, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I am contemplating purchasing either a Memory Foam Mattress Topper or a Feather Bed Mattress Topper.

What I have right now is one of those cheap Egg Crate Toppers which is years and years old!!

What are the pros and cons of each?

Has anyone purchased either online? Are they cheaper online?

Thanks for ANY advice!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  2. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I purchased a 2 inch memory foam topper that helped some.

I had an egg crate too... thats bout the same as memory foam topper.

a year later I got a select Number (air) sleep system. It is the most valuable item I have purchased yet that helps with the fibro "pressure points".

It reminds me of a feather bed when you set the air at a very low number. Malls in major cities might have a sleep number store where you can go and lay on the bed.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2005]
  3. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

But out of your choices, I would first ask you if you have allergies...If so, dont do anything feather...per my allergist. I've heard good things about the memory foam topper, one neg. I did hear on it was you may get too hot.
    Well,,,Hope that helps!!
    JPach
  4. gramaT

gramaT New Member

I would try a CuddleEwe mattress pad. I've heard on here that they are really good. I have a memory foam and its OK but not great.
    Hugs,
    Carolyn
  5. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I tried the Memory Foam topper from Costco. It was o.k. but it kept moving around and hanging over the sides of my mattress. My mattress was old and seemed to sink in the middle, so I decided to just buy a memory foam mattress. I bought a Bodipedic off of QVC of all places. It was better-priced than the ones I tried in the mattress stores and I could pay it off in 4 payments. They deliver and set-up for you, and you can try it for 30 days and have them pick it up if you don't like it! I feel so much better when I sleep, and wake up much less sore and stiff. If you aren't wanting to do the whole mattress thing, then try the topper. It may be just what you need.
  6. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've tried feather toppers, and they are so so. The foam toppers, and they are so so. Every topper, including a good pillow top mattress topper, breaks down eventually after use, or gets dirty and ugly, or slips off the bed, or hangs over the edges.

The key is to get a good mattress and box springs set (not a pillow top), then a good egg crate topper (cheaper than the foam). You will need to replace the egg crate about every 6 months, but in the long run, it's cheaper to do that than to buy a really expensive mattress with a pillow top or a memory foam mattress, etc.

My husband and I purchased a top of the line mattress and box springs, with a wonderful pillow topper. When the topper breaks down, I'm going to flip the mattress and purchase a good (not a cheap one) egg crate topper. We've had these before, and I recommend them. Next time, we'll purchase a good set with no pillow top and go again for the egg crate.
  7. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My daughter bought the Sleep Number bed - the one that is filled with air and you can make your side of the bed as hard or as soft as you wish. Each side is independent of the other.

She bought a king sized bed and paid around $3500 for it.

I'm not sure how that compares to the memory foam or the feather bed, but years ago I tried the feathers and after a while they got hard. I had to try to fluff the thing every day, and it was a bunch of trouble. In addition, I would sink down in the the feathers and wouldn't be able to turn over or get out without assistance.

abbylee
  8. patientnurse

patientnurse New Member

I have been extremely pleased with 4 inch memory foam topper I bought from e-bay a couple of weeks ago. I can lie on my side or back without aggravating tender points.
    Their price is so low compared to what you see in the stores that it will make you suspicious. I bought a full size and with shipping it was around $130.00. They are heavy, so shipping is around $30.00. I used a deep pocket fitted sheet and everything stays put. I would think that if you share a bed you could order the twin size and just use it on your half. It feels so good when you lie down hurting and wake up feeling comfy.
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I ordered a featherbed myself, and can't wait to sink into feathers, ooh la la. I won't have the problems Abbylea mentioned of not being able to get up easily. I had the bestest, fattest feather pillows for 15 yrs, but the shell finally got threadbare. You can actually wash them, if you vigorously sun dry them and beat them up or put in many hours of dryer time, w/ intermittant beatings (good way to get frustrations out, hehe, if you have the energy).

I don't trust what those memory foams are made of. Someone posted taht they knew a bed dealer who warned them not to try it because the materials they are made of aren't really safe to be sleeping on. Memory foam materials are apparently made from stuff that used be considered manufacturing waste products, that is, until someone came up w/ the bright idea to make beds of the stuff.

If you get the featherbed, you know you are getting feathers and cotton. If it's a CuddleEwe, you get wool and cotton. I ordered mine from Sears, the Martha Stewart model was less than $150 on sale for a queen. Zellers (Cdn. chain like a K-Mart or WalMart) sells them for less than $100, but they aren't as well baffled.

Jeanne

10. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I bought a feather bed topper from QVC & sent it back as it was so hot & lumpy - it went flat where we lay on it. Then I bought a 2" memory foam topper from them & it's brilliant - hubby likes it for his arthritis. (We had a foam egg box topper for a couple of years, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the memory foam one.)
  11. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I Love mine, and I admit to having 2 on my bed, and one on the couch. ;o)
    For me they are soft enough, that is my problem, things have to be super soft.
    I don't get hot from them either, and yes a feather works through once in awhile, but I have a Big Mattress Cover, that holds them togeather, and that keeps everything in place.

Then I also, got some 800 count sheets, I do spend a lot of time in bed, either sleeping (Ha? lol) Reading, watching TV, and using my laptop.
    So I need softness around me as much as possible, with the lousy Pain conditions I have.

Hope you find one that will help you get some comfort, seems like we all have a prefernce for different Mattress.
    I hope yours will be a good choice also, for you.
    sharonk
  12. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I think I've had my feather topper for about a yr. now..I love it. I bought it at a discount store for around $50. It was baffled & yup you do have to fluff it every day, but it's worth it.

When I change the sheets I turn it around so the foot is at the head, & shake the daylights out of it...lol..It really provides the softness my body needs. I'm less stiff & sore in the mornings. I also hang it on the clothesline for a good airing every once in awhile.

Good luck in choosing what's best for you..
    fifth
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks everyone for your advice!

I'm going to check out the Cuddle Ewe that was mentioned.

And ... boy would I love to sleep on 800-count sheets!!!!

Hugs to all,
    Janet
  14. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

If you have a mattress that dips down in the middle, here's a tip that I got from a mattress store guy. Try putting enough carpet samples underneath the saggy part of the mattress to correct the dip. You can get the samples anywhere that sells carpet, for like $1 each. Really makes a difference for me! I had back pain every night before I started doing this.
  15. jennypee

jennypee New Member

I'm normally a message board lurker, but I had to respond to this one.

I bought a 2 inch memory foam topper about 2 years ago, for $120 at Cosco or Walmart. It may be the smartest purchase I've ever made, not including Carl The Wonder Dog, my genius chihuahua/doxie baby. The memory foam relieved a lot of pressure-point pain and made it way easier to fall asleep. I even bought a second one for hotels, back in the days when I had money and could travel. ;) I wouldn't sleep without one, even if I knew it was made of crack. I've seen them go on sale at Shopko and Walmart for less than $100 for any size. You can keep the topper sliding to a minimum by putting a piece of non-skid rubber between it and the mattress.

Good to meet you all, by the way. I'm so glad I found you.
  16. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've been wondering about getting the memory foam. We currently have a feather bed, and I really love it. After reading these posts, I think I'll stay with it. I do find it really comforting.

We are in need of a new bed though.....time to get a king size. With two cats and a dog, we need the room!

Eileen
  17. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I recently purchased a 2" memory foam mattress topper and I just love it. My bed is much more comfy now and the aches and pains upon waking are significantly diminished. God bless, Anne Theresa
  18. JLH

JLH New Member

Quit being a message board lurker ... and join in with us frequently!!!! We would love to "talk" with you!! The more the merrier!!!!

Hugs,
    Janet

P.S. I think I'm leaning toward the memory foam topper now - but I haven't checked out the Cuddle Ewe yet!
  19. donnaray

donnaray New Member

I've had a feather bed topper for years and I really do love it. Before I got it I had terrible pressure pain in my hips and shoulders and after I got the feather bed, I have no more pain. I have an allergy cover on mine and my feather pillow. I really do love them and I won't go anywhere without my feather pillow but I've always been curious about the memory foam. Right now can't afford to try it so I'll stick with my feather mattress.
  20. ladyfishme

ladyfishme New Member

I recently got a 3 inch memory foam. The first night was bad!! Had a hard time walking the next morning. But I make up my mind that I was going to try it for a week. It has been a week and a day. It is better but not the answer so far for me.
    Also I work with foam so just to let you know there is big different in the grade of foam. I had my made with a terry cloth cover and nonskid back. Zipper to remove for cleaning.
    Good luck
    Kim