Which is better to apply for ssd or ssi? I'm confused......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Right now I'm getting short term disability at work and its 60% of my pay which isnt much. They do have long term disability which I guess would last me until I get approved(if I do) for ss. I just dont know which to apply for I'm confused.Anyone help me....I really dont know how all this works..
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Right now I'm getting short term disability at work and its 60% of my pay which isnt much. They do have long term disability which I guess would last me until I get approved(if I do) for ss. I just dont know which to apply for I'm confused.Anyone help me....I really dont know how all this works..
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

ssi is for people who are poor and disabled that dont have enough work cridents,ssa is if you have work cridets, the best thing to do is just go to the social security web site and read about everything,because even if you are disabled to your emplyor ss says that dosent automatically quify you dumb huh?id start asap,im on my second year of fighting,
  4. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

SSI is for those that don't have enough work credits with low income. If you applied for this they would take into account how much your husband makes.
    SSD is for those that have worked and earned enough credits and it does not matter how much your husband makes.
    You should apply as soon as possible and get yourself an attorney.

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  5. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I was wondering about that, should I get an attoney for my first time appling...Email me if ya want harrymac@charter.net
  6. roro

roro New Member

I have enough credits for SSDI. Will I be able to collect my LTD (which is 60% of my pay) and SSDI at the same time?
  7. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I was just reading my paperwork and I think they consider anything from ss income so they would subtract some from your LTD that you would..lands sake they dont want ya getting too much money to live on ya know. But I was explaining this to my husband and like I told him if I just lived on the LTD fr work, I would have to still pay my insurance which would be 189.00 a month plus pay what the hospital doesnt pay etc..but with the ssd I would think you would get a medical card. Not sure but I trying to learn more to educate myself..
  8. lilrascal

lilrascal New Member

It took me four years to get my SSD approved (and yes, get a lawyer who specialized in this!). During that time I was making 60% of salary from work disability. When my SSD came through I received a very large check for the backpay covering 4 years. I not only had to give ALL - as in every red cent - of it to my work's disability company, they lowered their monthly benefit so my total monthly income(plus the monthly SSD check) would remain at 60%. On the bright side, most of my income is not taxable, so I don't even have to file.
  9. teach6

teach6 New Member

Go to the home page of this site and scroll down the right side of the page. Click on Disability and you will have a good beginning for your information.

I recommend getting a good attorney to begin with. You might ask a local support group for suggestions of attorneys who have experience with your illness. That's what I did. They only get paid if and when you win. Then you'll be getting back pay, so it will come out of that.

I don't know about you, but since I paid into my LTD pre-tax my benefits aren't taxed, which means they go further.

Good luck,
    Barbara
  10. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

make sure you have a doc that supports and will fight for you and one that has done it. Write you worst day info. Have someone else help you write it and make a copy to use as a work sheet. Your doc should be able to help you. Good luck, Kim and Gary