Which is better? Xyrem or Provigil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Sep 9, 2006.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I know I have posted about this before, but I thought I'd try again to see if I get more responses!

I am totally exhausted during the day so I am going to be getting a sleep study done soon. Then my doc can rx me Xyrem or Provogil. Right now he has placed me on Concerta ER...which is basically extended released Ritalin.

I want to know which one has worked better for you...or if you've only tried one, how it has worked for you.

After my sleep study is done I need to decide which one to try first...and to be truthful, I dont want to waste anymore time or money on meds that dont work well.

I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly about both of them.

Also, I have heard that you most pharmacies do not carry Xyrem and you have to get it by mail...is that true??

Thanks in advance!

Hugs,
    Stephanie

[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2006]
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

bump for me
  3. forfink

forfink New Member

Just my opinion, but I've done well every day on on a half a tablet in the morning. My dr. would not allow me to take xyrem.
    Provigil is a hit or miss thing...lots of people on this board do not like it much. For me it helps so much with fibro fog and the feeling I just can't get going in the morning....1/2 tab is pretty low dose.

Good luck, whatever your choice, it's totally personal, whatever works best.
  4. yesnettv

yesnettv New Member

I tried it two months and it did nada!
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

For your replies. I really appreciate it.

It seems like Xyrem is the way for me to go from what Im hearing from everyone.

Its a plus that it helps with the Fibro pain also.

Im just not looking forward to the sleep study. Does anyone know if we can take our meds for the sleep study, or do we have to stop them?

stephanie
  7. Daisys

Daisys Member

I've never used Provigil, but am happy with xyrem. It takes me 20-30 minutes to fall asleep, and I can wake up, or stay awake, if needed. I get 7.5-8 hours of good sleep (including REM) a night. I understand it isn't harsh on the liver or kidneys. I'm alert during the day because of getting enough sleep, so I don't need daytime drugs.

I have an obvious bias toward xyrem because I didn't have any bad side effects. I believe starting low and staying with a dose until your body is used to it before titrating up is key to success. Of course, some have bad side effects whatever they do. I think it's a good idea to at least try it. If it works for you, it's great.

As for the sleep study and taking your sleep meds, it depends on what your doctor wants. Either he'll want to see how the meds work for you, or he'll want to see exactly what your basic sleep is without them.

I hope you get good results.
  8. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me.

I didnt want to have to do a sleep study and Im certainly not looking forward to it. I really hope they let me take something to help me sleep when I go. I am on Zanaflex for sleep so maybe I can take it because it is for spasms also.

This sleep study sounds VERY unpleasant. But I have to do it to get the meds I want.

Thanks!!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I tried Provigal and the first day it was wonderful for 2 or 3 hours. I thought I had my life back. It worked for a few hours for a couple of weeks. What I found that it did to me after the first couple of weeks is that it gave me energy for a short time and then I had an immediate HARD crash. My CFS doctor said that happened to most people but that it did work for some. They said to save it for a special occasion but it did not help enough to justify the after effects for me. It may be different for you.

I was offered Zyrem but I decided not to try it. I am on other medications that affect my CNS and since I have gone into respiratory arrest before, I and my husband decided that it was not safe for me. I use a cocktail of different drugs to sleep. It's probably just as dangerous. What was strange was if I took the Zyrem, I was going to have to wake up after the initial dose and take another dose. My insurance approved it for me but I just did not use it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.