Which Probiotic and Transfer Factor to Begin with??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leenerbups, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Continueing on with recent posts about where to start, I was wondering if anyone can give insight as to what to start with when you have FMS and CFS, (with the active epstein Barr virus?
    I have a host of digestive orders too, as most of us do.

How do you take them so you don't detox or "herx" so badly you could sweep us off the floor??

Do you start with something milder and work your way up to stronger? And if so, what would they be?

Thank you
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is the one Dr. Cheney recommends too. I take the one which must be refrigerated because it is cheaper. Others have said good things about Primal Defense too.

Some start out with colostrum to see how well it is tolerated. Some TF's are made with colostrum and/or eggs. There is a TF sold here which does not target specific pathogens; it is more like a souped-up colostrum. I think it's called TF Essentials.

TF C and TF 100 both specifically target EBV.

I would start out with the probiotics and get settled on them before starting out on any colostrum or TF's. Some have Herxed just on the colostrum. The immune response from the TF's, especially those which target pathogens, can be significant. I think it's best to sprinkle about 1/3 of a capsule under the tongue and see how it's tolerated for three days.

If there is no fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, aches & pains, or headaches, go ahead and sprinkle a bit more until you can tolerate a whole capsule. It's better to start out slowly and build up.

Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I have CFS AND FMS as well. I have taken the Jarro-dophilus for some time and my ND has recently recommended Culturelle as well. Apparently it has something that the Jarro doesn't have. She feels there is lot of important work being done on the benefits of probiotics for us. I am in Canada though,so don't know about availability elsewhere.

I am hoping to start Transfer Factor as well but recently started Colostrum alone and have had a lot of pain as a result. I feel that I should be tolerating it before starting the TF. I am going slow with 1/3 then 1/2 a capsule and I'm making progress.

I think with all these things one has to start very slowly and work up. I know that I have EBV, HHV6 and CMV.

I'll keep you posted as to how it's going.

Good Luck to you.

Kathy.
  4. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I (and I'm sure others here) really needed this info, so thank you!

So, if I'm understanding correctly, I should begin with the acidophilus type probiotics first and work up to a antiviral TR, and start off with small amounts?

I also have have good things about Primal Defence.
  5. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

6. BethM

BethM New Member

I've used both Primal Defense and the JarroDophilus. My primary problem with the PF is the price. It's pricey stuff, although a good product.

I like the JarroDophilus. I think it has been helpful for me, and I like the price a lot better!

peace,
    Beth.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is only one strain of good bacteria. Good probiotics contain several strains and guarantee that they will not break down in the stomach but will colonize in the gut. Cheap probiotics aren't worth the money. The Jarro-Dophilus isn't expensive but it really is effective.

Love, Mikie
  8. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I started taking garlic and hanginthere's suggestion about 2 weeks ago.

Last night before I went to sleep, I took a 1/4 of a 150 capsule of olive leaf, and could feel myself feeling unwell in the night.

I woke up feeling unwell, like I was going to have what I call a "fibro/chronic fatigue day".

My blood pressure feels a bit low and when I turn my head, I get dizzy.

May I get some advice as to how to proceed??
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2005]
  9. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I was thinking the same thing. Although I feel lousy today, it means my virus was pretty rampant and winning the war, so having just a small amount of olive leaf produce this reaction means I REALLY needed it.