Which Sleep Meds encourage Stage Deep Sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LISALOO, Feb 2, 2009.

1. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

My sleep study I did awhile ago but couldn't sleep for like 4 hours, took some benadryl, the results said I slept 189 minutes out of about 370 minutes and I got no stage 4 sleep.

What sleep meds give you stage 3 & 4 and which ones don't?

I know there have been posts about this but I can't find them.

Thanks
  2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Lisaloo!

My doctor says that Ambian and other traditional sleep aids do not help you cycle through the different stages of sleep. Flexiril or the generic does help with that. I currently take 20 mgs of Flexiril two hours before bed. It has helped signifacantly!

Good luck finding some good rest!

wendysj
  3. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

thanks! I tried Ambien it wore off, and never made me feel more rested, now I know why.

I've tried amitriptiline (not sure if it's making my hair fall out or wellbutrin) and klonopin. Not sure if either of those are okay, or which other ones are.
  4. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Nitrazepam works well for some people.
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

Xyrem = deep sleep.
  6. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

And it is very dangerous b/c it is the date rape drug.
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

My favourite topic, sleep, cant seem to get enough, anyway.
    These are things I have taken and have researched that improve deep sleep.

Imovane/zopiclone 7.5mg-15mg, good effect minimal hangover.

Stilnox/ambien initaily very good, no hang over, but has stopped working even after having a break from it.

Doxepine (antidepressant)10mg-50mg, good deep long sleep, has a hangover effect that wears off with time, I like it for catch up sleep.

Avanza (antidepressant) 15mg, knocks you out quickly, good deep long sleep, has a worse hangover effect then doxepine, i use it when desperate for sleep.

Lyrica (anticonvulsant) 75-150mg, on its own I find improves quality of sleep but doesnt necessarily put you to sleep, but if i combine it with an antihistamine I get really good quality of sleep with little hangover effect.

Restavit/doxylalamine (antihistamine) 25-50mg, if you havent taken a sleep med before it will knock you out, deep sleep with hangover effect but wears off with time, build tolerance quickly though, bonus is its over the counter, no scripts.

Melatonin 5mg, others have found lower doses work fine. I find it doesnt help sleep that much but does help when your sleep cycle is all over the place, Im also a shift worker which doesnt help. I was going through a stage when i was going to bed at 7am and waking at 2-3pm, melatonin with sleep meds got me out of this cycle.

Herbs like valerian, lemonbalm and kava I find help you relax but dont put you to sleep, good to add to sleep meds.

I know I must sound like a druggy, but i build a tolerance quickly to sleep medication, so I rotate between them and some times take a few months off particular meds. I try to have 2 nights a week drug free but will take herbs on these nights. i dont take the same med more then 2 nights in a row.

Sleep is the most important thing in cfs/fibro. you need to do what you can to get good sleep. I think the way i do reduce drug tolerance and addiction, may cause rebound insomnia.

Good luck, i think must of us hear no how you feel in the sleep department.

8. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

thanks all for your suggestions. If all sleep medications decrease, what increases? And doesn't make my head itch and hair fall out?

I can't do it alone on supplements, I've tried five at once and still can't sleep.
  9. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

Trazodone is supposed to increasw stages 3 and 4 and help you STAY asleep (my main issue). Sadly, it hasn't worked that well for me. I take the smallest dose because anything higher gives me a hangover the next day. But, many people swear by it. It's non-habit forming and can be taken as needed.

Right now I take Ambien 10mg + Traz 25mg. My doctor suggested I add L-theanine, which works on the same receptors as benzos, so that's my next step.
  10. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

is associated with the Massacheusetts CFIDS and has clinical recommendations for meds that improve stage III and stage IV sleep.

Use your oogle.

Best wishes.
  11. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Thanks, will look her up
  12. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Did anyone mention Flexiril? I can't handle it myself (awful dreams, too drugged feeling) but it does promote deep stage 4 sleep after a few weeks.
  13. Dle

Dle New Member

i TAKE TRAZADONE, AN AMBIEN CR AND A 3MG MELATONIN. I WAS FALLING ASLEEP BUT NOT STAYING ASLEEP UNTIL WE SWITCHED TO AMBIEN CR. IT IS TIME RELEASED WITH A COMPONENT TO HELP YOU FALL AND STAY ASLEEP. HAS MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE FOR ME. PLUS IF I DO WAKE UP - I CAN FALL BACK TO SLEEP QUICKLY.
  14. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I take 3 Tizandine/Zanaflex (muscle relaxer) and it gives me such wonderful deep sleep. I also use this when I have a migraine that I can't knock out. It usually puts me to sleep and helps relax the muscles that are also causing the migraine.
  15. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

thanks everyone, I'll add these to my list to research
  16. ulala

ulala New Member

There's the 2 mg. capsule, 4 mg. capsule and the tablet. You said you take 3 zanaflex? Thanks! I'm glad you're getting such good sleep from the zanaflex!
  17. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I take the 4 mg dose of Zanaflex and yes I take 3 tablets. I started at two but it was just putting in that half sleep/half awake. Then my migraine dr. upped to take 3 tablets before bedtime and I sleep like a baby.

Personally, I think this helps the fibro because the muscles are so relaxed when I sleep. I had RLS and now I feel like a big happy puddle all covered up in my blankies. LOL.

18. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

For me Soma is quite reliable but also Klonopin some days combined with it.

I know it probably doesn't give the same quality sleep as Xyrem but my doctor would never dream of giving me Xyrem and this is the best combo I have come up with.

Trazodone didn't work for me - made me feel wired then very groggy the next day.

Hope you find something that helps.

Love Bunchy x
  19. Daisys

Daisys Member

Xyrem is the very best sleep med for getting deep wave sleep. People used it for years, when it was available in health food stores, and never had bad side effects. I've heard that many have used it for years, one for 20 years, who have never had a bad side effect from it.

If you stop taking it suddenly, which I have several times, the only problem is the insomnia that initiated the search for a good sleep med in the first place.

Yes, it's used as a date rape drug on the streets, so don't go telling everybody you have it in your house (and I trust everyone in my house--also, I can be woken with loud noises, etc).

When working in the brain, xyrem looks exactly like a healthy brain in deep sleep (chemically speaking) so the brain knows what to do with it. The end products are carbon dioxide and water, so it's easy on the body.

Once I started getting a really good sleep every night, a lot of symptoms resolved, or eased considerably--mainly the fibromyalgia pain and brain fog. I still have infections that need further treatment, but I am getting better.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/14/2009]
  20. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

thanks for all the thoughts about Xyrem, will check it out. Hope it doesn't cause hair loss!