Which state can I live in to make the pain less?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karenatk, Jan 26, 2003.

1. karenatk

karenatk New Member

Hi everyone, I live in Mississippi and this weather is kiling me. I hurt so bad all the time. I am an office manager and have a very stressful job and the weather here is horrible. Is there a place I can go too or live which would be better for us with FM? I had heard Arizona is the best. I would love to have any suggestions. Thanks so much.
  2. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

...Karenatk, Glad to have you!
    I agree that damp, changing weather will get to an FM Sufferer! I suppose Arizona would be very good--steady temp's, not much in the way of Thunderstorms or Tornadoes! I am affected by High Pressure Systems moving in with storms...oooh! And Yes, when under stress, our bodies do seem to scream out a BIT more!! Hey, when you find a job out there, give me a call, and we'll go together! LOL :)
    Fibromiester
  3. karenatk

karenatk New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. Our lives are really rough. No one understands until they have this disease. Thanks again for your response. This board is great for all the wonderful information and encouragment it brings.
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Climate similar to Arizona, but far a better tax situation.
    Property is relatively inexpensive, compared to where we live now, and other places we have checked. Our main holdup is me getting around to finishing the painting so we can list our house. Some days I can do half a wall, sometimes 1 roller full will wipe me out. Right now, I am all stressed out waiting the "word" about my SSDI. Wouldn't it be nice if we were all independently wealthy?
    Kathryn
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

and she said she hasn't had to take any pain medication since she moved down there. She has Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia both. She lived in Portland, Oregon (me too) and it's damp here a lot, so this was quite a change for her. Anyway, they bought a new house down there, much less expensive that it would have been here, and also because of the savings on the income tax,and they just love it. So, there's a suggestion for you, don't know what the job situation is like but you could get on the interest and check out their classified sections of their newspaper.

Dara
  6. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I had already suggested that we kick everyone out of Arizona and rename it Fibrozona, so that we all have a comfy place to live!!

I never thought about Nevada, I'll have to do some research on jobs and such out there..

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which will help everyone to feel better. I lived in Colorado where it is dry and thought to be a good place for people with arthritis and illnesses like ours. I was sick there all the time with allergies,sinus problems, asthma, bronchitis, costo chondritis, and pneumonia.

I moved to Florida, which is supposed to be bad for people with these symptoms, and I very seldome ever suffer from them anymore. I feel sooooo much better down here. Others move FROM Florida to drier climes to try to feel better. It just all depends.

I suggest anyone thinking of moving try vacationing at different times of the year to see how you feel at the new destination. I did this for years before finally making the move. It meant leaving my grown children in Denver, but one and her husband have since moved to Atlanta, which is close. The other one and her husband are considering moving somewhere on the Southeast Coast. My SIL in Denver suffers horribly from asthma which doesn't bother him here. He, like me, needs the humidity.

Love, Mikie
  8. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

Don't try Pennsylvania

The weather will send you into a tizzy!
  9. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Too much rain in WA, I am in pain all the time-everything hurts here. Upper Central Texas seemed to be okay but I too would like to go to Arizona!!
    Vicky
    PS Has anyone lived in California with this DD and how did you feel there? The super bowl sure made me want to move CA.[This Message was Edited on 01/27/2003]
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

That's how I ended up in Florida, and it did allow me to go back to work and work 60 hrs. per week for another six yrs. before I had to quit (after a car accident and flu). I ran an FMS support grp. here for ten yrs. and saw many folks with mild FMS who were virtually cured just by moving here from up north. I knew people here who would get on a plane feeling great to go visit relatives up north at holidays, and spend the whole visit sick in bed from the cold and damp. My Rheumy here told me that consistent weather is the most important thing for FMS, and that Florida has the most consistent weather in the U.S. However, for those bothered more by humididy than temps., Arizona would be better, since it is so dry. Remember though that dryness causes temps to go up and down a lot more, with very hot days and very cool nights. Northern AZ has plenty of snow. Also, there are plenty of docs making a good living treating FMS patients in Arizona, Florida and everywhere, so unless you know from visitng a place that you will feel better, and you know you can stand leaving your relatives, friends, etc., I would not advise it. I got 6 more yrs. of work, but now I am stuck here forever, and it has never felt like home to me. I am a northwoods gal through and through. My values are too different from most people here in Florida. I feel as if I were dropped off here from another planet. Think about your emotional health too before making a move, so you don't end up like me!
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
  11. Karrot

Karrot New Member

That I have found high elevation to greater increase my symptoms. I am definetely moving to a lower elevation the next chance I get. I live in So Arizona - elevation of about 4,900 feet. I am so much more tired here than I was at lower elevations. Perhaps, that is why Colorado was so hard on you, Mikie? Just a thought...

BTW, there are plenty lowlands in AZ - so don't completely rule it out.

Karrot
  12. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Karen:
    I've lived north and south, so here's the scoop on them:
    I moved to Tennessee thinking the warmer air would help my fibro, so did my doctor. Well, the humidity caused more pain than ever, but it was warm. Then we moved back to northern Minnesota, where we are now, and I have bad pain here too, especially when the humidity is up. It is not too humid here most of the time, but my fms is still painful. I agree with debbie and think we all should move to fibrozona - what a riot!!!!
    Seriously, I think the humidity plays a more important part in our pain than the cold or warmth. I'll live here and be in pain to be close to my kids/grandkids. Some things are worth suffering for.
    good luck - Sue
  13. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

Neither. The humidity would kill you. It does me and now it is sooooo cold that I am hurting more. My hubby is from Arizona and my family is in Nevada, ad when go for a visit I do feel much better!!! Linda
  14. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Timbucktoo!!! There's something bad about every state, so take your choice!

Marilyn :)
  15. karenatk

karenatk New Member

Thank you to all of you who have replied to my posts. Thanks so much. I will think about everything each one of you recommended. I hope some day to get some relief. God Bless.
  16. BethM

BethM New Member

I am proud to be a native Southern Californian. Currently we live in the High Desert, so we usually get cold winters, although this year seems like winter is going to skip over us and we'll go directly to spring. It is dry here, being desert, which suits me well. Summers are pretty hot, but we've adjusted, mostly. When the winters are cold, it's hard on me, but the other seasons are good. Nice thing about California is that you can pretty much find any climate you want, somewhere in the state.

And yes, San Diego is absolutely delightful. If jobs and housing costs weren't a problem we'd love to move there. Maybe someday.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Peace,
    Beth.
  17. pepper

pepper New Member

I live in Canada but the first CFS doctor I saw told me to move to Arizona if I could. Needless to say I can't but he has had several patients do so and they have all shown improvement because of the dry heat.

I hope you are able to move and be in less pain.
    Pepper
  18. ufuomalinda

ufuomalinda New Member

I just wanted to thank you for asking this question because I asked it twice nad got no one to answer so thank you so much now I have learned alot from you ..
    soft hugs linda..good luck with your move andtry not to get to stressed out that doesnt help us at all

19. pearls

pearls New Member

Someone asked about California. I live there and teach fourth grade where our social studies subject is ...CALIFORNIA! <Grin>

If you want to come here to improve your health, it will depend on where you go here. Of all the states in the entire fifty, California is most probably the most varied. We have a warm, southern coast and a cold, northern coast. We have dry deserts and cold mountains. We have very rainy places and extremely dry places. We have the lowest elevation in the country (Death Valley)less than a hundred miles from the highest elevation in the lower 48!

I live in the Central Valley, which is mild in the winter and can get really hot in the summer, but the humidity is low. That might sound ideal except that in the winter we have real "killer" fog that can stay around for weeks at a time. The fog can get so thick that I am not exaggerating when I say that you can't see past your hood ornament! This means that the sun is also blocked for weeks at a time. It can be really dreary, cold, damp and very hard on those who need sun so as not to be depressed.

But then, there is a lot of Southern California - a whole different place. One day I left on a day as described above and was sitting in an outdoor cafe in Pasadena the next, enjoying incredibly sunny, beautiful weather. Now, there's a place to live, by the way! Pasadena is a beautiful city - if you like cities - and you would have the advantage of a huge supply of doctors and hospitals.

I live on a beautiful piece of property which I love very much. But we are getting ready to retire. The only thing in the way of taking off for a place like Arizona without further ado is the fact our children and grandchildren live in California. Arizona may be next door, but that next door is a long way across a huge desert. I hate long trips. Fibromyalgia tends to create such sentiments!

20. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

The weather here is different in every county and city. We have mountains lowlands and so forth. Humidy high in summer and you can't breath and no one wants to go out in the hot summer here unless they are sunbathers and like real hot weather. The winters here are either cold or less cold. Each winter is different. This winter we have had cold, damp, and snow, and I have hurt the worse. Last year it was cold early on but started to get warmer in early February. Felt like we didn't even have a winter. That made it bad too.
    I liked Mel's answer to this question. Let all of us move to Florida or everyone of us could our hands on joints (even though I have never snoked it) and just live in lala land or where ever it takes us.

Allot of blessings to you and hope you find that state you are after. If you ever do find the great state, let us all know. Good luck.
    Janice