Which Vitamin D do You take?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsBrandywine, Jan 31, 2011.

1. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

My Dr wants me to take the 50,000 units once a week.. I feel that is like a toxic thing to add to our bodies all at once.. Shes very frustrated with me that I won't do as she is telling me. but hey it is my body.. I know that I need to take it but I guess that is the lowest dose they give with a prescription..
    so...... what one do You take and what brand and where do You get yours?
  2. rocky76

rocky76 Member

50,000 units per week...one pill a week..
    within the second week felt less pain..
    after 2 or 3 months they will check your
    levels again..
    I have very sensitive system but had NO
    problem with this pill...
    Hubby is also on it...
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Debbi - I personally would be more inclined to take 5,000 IU of OTC D3 and get your doctor to check your levels again in three months time. From everything I have read D3 is much better than D2. You might want to Google the "Vitamin D Council". Chances are your doctor is relying on the outdated information she learnt in medical school years ago.
  4. keke466

keke466 New Member

I take 2-2500IU of Vit D per day. I buy mine from Pro Caps. This is a company that was started by Andrew Lessman,a biochemist,30yrs ago. You can buy direct from his company in Nevada or you can purchase his products from HSN. He often has special pricing and free shipping. His is a company that is totally run by solar energy. They do not have any additives in them and are gentle on the stomach. I've never had any problems with them and I take a handful of different vitamins and supplements.
  5. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi Debbie, I take Vitamin D3 cholecalciferol I'm pretty sure is the name. This kind of Vitamin D is over-the-counter. I ordered mine from a company called Life Extension. Your doctor sounds a lot like mine, she is a HUGE advocate for Vitamin D.

I think the same way you do, 50,000 units once a week just seems so toxic, expecially since the RDA of the vitamin is now only 600 IU's per day.

My doctor wanted me to take 10,000 IU's of the Vitamin D3, which by the way is supposed to be more absorbed and better for you than the Vitamin D2, which is the one your doctor wants you to take. The Vitamin D2 is only available by prescription I think.

I told my doctor that I didn't want to take 10,000 IU's per day and that I would only take 5,000 a day. I do not feel any better taking this supplement, I have been taking it now for 3 months and my levels have only gone up about 6 points. I was at 22, I'm now at 28. I think she wants my levels to be around 50 I believe.

You know what? It is your body, and if you don't feel comfortable taking that large amount, then you shouldn't. I think the docs are overdoing it with Vitamin D. I do think it's important, but I just feel they are mega dosing people too much. I wish I could say I feel better taking it but I don't. Maybe it's just my FM body, and not much makes me feel better anyway, but my doc seems to think it is a "Miracle" supplement. Hugs, Chelz.
  6. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I wasn't able to get back to respond.. But Thank you all for replying on it..
    I did go speak to another pharmacist at a Drugstore, and she explained to me about the difference.. so I did find one..
    I just got it but haven't tried it yet. Its the Vitamin D3 the 2000 units .. I don't have it in front of me but I think it is Nature Made. its a gel cap. So plan on trying it today with my supper. I guess from taking Synthroid I have to wait at least 6 hours before taking the Vitamin D.. and I take that in the morning so need to wait so I figure with my supper and when I take my Ester C.. so will see what happens..
    Again, Thank You all so much for replying and I apologize for not getting back in here sooner..
    Hugs, Deb
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

It is unlikely you will notice any obvious change taking vitamin D for ME/CFS/FMS because it does not do anything to alter your symptoms - not in the short term. Vitamin d is central to immune function and what you are doing by taking it is ensuring your immune system has the correct basis for function. It could take many months before any change in symptoms is noticed and by then you would not be in a postition to attribute any changes to the vitamin D. Have faith!
  8. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thank you. What you said makes sense about Vitamin D not doing anything to alter symptoms. I guess I should think of Vitamin D as a preventative overall healthy supplement to take. I just do not like all the hype about it. It seems as if everyday they are mentioning how this supplement helps to cure or prevent "everything" and the dosing seems just so high to me.

Maybe it is because of my FM. I am highly sensitive to almost everything, food, alcohol, prescription drugs (all kinds, expecially antidepressants) weather, certain kinds of exercise, you name it. So, taking a high dose of "anything" puts me in an "alarm state", even if my Vitamin D reading is low, and I should supplement, doesn't matter, it still makes me nervous when I think of people being put on 50,000 IU's of vitamin D when in the past all they thought you needed was only 400 IU's. Hugs, Chez.
  9. IanH

IanH Active Member

Yes the dosage is debated. I am part of a university that has a special research interest in Vitamin D and its effects on cancer and autoimmune disease. (Though its not my department). The RDA for vitamin d is being reviewed and it is likely that it will be 2000 IU per day. (More if you have a black skin and live in Northern or Southern latitudes. 2000 IU is about half of what your body would make with good daily sun exposure assuming you have a white skin. However upto 10,000 IU per day has been shown to be safe. I take 5000 IU per day except for Sat and Sun when I take 1000 IU with 1000 mg Calcium on each of those days. I find this a good balance.

I you have a high fat to muscle ratio then you may need a little more. Skinny people a little less. This is because vitamin D is stored in fatty tissue making it less available for conversion into the active form by the kidneys or by macrophages (immune system cells).

I don't agree with the 50,000 per week dosage myself but its just a technical preference I have.