White Blood Cell Count

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by azbubba, Jun 13, 2006.

1. azbubba

azbubba New Member

Do any of my FM brothers or sisters in here have a high white blood cell count? Mine has been around 13-15,000 since I've been ill.

Thanks,
    Bubba
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

WBC - sign that your body is trying to fight off an infection. You need antibiotics and an elevated WBC will wipe you out (as if we need to be wiped out anymore!)

Get some antibiotics - discuss this with your doc for sure! I am sure you will find you are feeling so much better after treatment.

Good Luck & keep us posted.
    Kim :)
  3. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

your WBC count can be elevated for numerous reasons...it could be viral or bacterial. It's best if they do a differential CBC, further breaks down the WBC's into type. There are 5 different types of WBC's, all with different mechanisms. So, if they haven't done that already, it needs to be done.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  4. azbubba

azbubba New Member

they can't find an infection.

I have had courses of antibiotics that have lasted up to 3 weeks, with only a temporary reduction of WBC. The count goes back up within 1 week of halting antibiotics.

I've had several consults with an infectious diseases doctor, including a tagged white blood cell scan that came up negative.

I guess the reason that I'm asking is because I was told by my rheumy that FM doesn't explain the high WBC, and that there might be something else going on. But eight doctors have yet to tell me that they were able to locate an infection.

Thanks for your responses... :)

Bubba

UPDATE: The differential has been done. For the most part, the percentages are all in range.[This Message was Edited on 06/13/2006]