White count low

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jun 19, 2011.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

Just received results of a blood test. As always my white count is low. I have been this way forever. Is this because of my fibromyalgia? The doctor is not concerned. I wonder if that is why I am always tired. Anyone else with the same problem
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My white count has been low for a very long time, and my doctors have never been concerned either. I just recently came across something which might explain it.

My MCV (mean corpuscular volume) on the CBC blood work has been high forever, almost at the top of the normal range. This can be an indication of B12 deficiency and/or folate deficiency. Well, I just read very recently that this can be accompanied by a low white blood cell count. The two can go hand in hand. So I suggest you look at your MCV number and see if it is high, even if in the normal range.

No doctor except for one a couple of years ago expressed any concern about my high MCV because, although high, it was in the "normal" range.

It gets a little complicated now. Another recent discovery is that the folic acid I've been getting in my B complex vitamins and was getting in Rich's methylation protocol may paradoxically have been causing a folate deficiency. Folic acid is a synthetic form of folate and not everyone can convert it into a usable form. (Rich has since changed his protocol to exclude all folic acid)

So even though I've been doing methylcobalamin B12 shots for several years plus taking B complex vitamins forever, this could explain why I might have a folate deficiency.

About 2 months ago I started a B12/methylation protocol put together by someone named Freddd on the Phoenix Rising board which uses a bio-available form of folate called l-methylfolate (Metafolin) as well as Methyl B12 and dibencozide (another form of B12 (see http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics)
    and since starting it have had a general increase in energy, although I still crash and so on, but want to see what happens in the long term, and particularly want to see if my MCV number normalizes and if my WBC goes up.

So this is probably a lot more information than you wanted but hope it helps.

3. klarry

klarry New Member

Thanks for the information. I have had this problem all my life, which may explain why I developed fibromyalgia. When I was a young child I was tested for leukemia, and was retested as a young wife. I do think that having a low white count can contribute to my exhaustion. I will look into the suggested protocol. At this time I take a multivitamin as well as calcium, glucosamine, vitamin D (2000mg)and magnesium.