white spots on MRI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Astarte, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Astarte

Astarte New Member

On my MRI the neuro showed me white spots on it. He said it's nothing to be concerned about, that at my age it's natural for people with migraines. (I'm 47)

Does anyone else know about this? My friend said it's an indicator of CFS for her and probaby is associated with FMS too.

I'm just starting my journey on this whole, "rotating doctor" thing...as most of you know it's like shopping for a good used car to find the right doctor who will treat you the best way to fit your lifestyle. At this point it seems nothing short of a miracle to find that doctor. But I refuse to give up.

This whole "spectator" in life is not a quality of life I will settle for.

Star
  2. Astarte

Astarte New Member

Haley, I have more than 2...there are about 8 of them. Scattered.

Yes, I do think that the dr. doesn't care and it's mostly because of malpractice or lack of time as a dr.

My Med. dr is thinking of quitting becuase the insurance companies don't pay for most tests anymore so she can't diagnose patients properly, which means she can't treat properly and that would lead to malpractice. Then patients have to come in with 3 or more problems to get covered because their visits are limited...she doesn't have time because she's got other patients waiting...and she's a dr who does spend time with us.

The neuro referred me to a Rhemy but he will probably be just as responsive but I will try him once. I'm not timid to stand my ground and expect answers. I have the disc of my mri with the white spots, it's bixarre.

And yes, siezures are normal for who? I would call another dr. and ask if that's true...acting stupid and knowing they will tell you no. And at any age let alone 28.

What prompted you to take your son to a neurologist to begin with?
    Star
  3. Astarte

Astarte New Member

Haley, I have more than 2...there are about 8 of them. Scattered.

Yes, I do think that the dr. doesn't care and it's mostly because of malpractice or lack of time as a dr.

My Med. dr is thinking of quitting becuase the insurance companies don't pay for most tests anymore so she can't diagnose patients properly, which means she can't treat properly and that would lead to malpractice. Then patients have to come in with 3 or more problems to get covered because their visits are limited...she doesn't have time because she's got other patients waiting...and she's a dr who does spend time with us.

The neuro referred me to a Rhemy but he will probably be just as responsive but I will try him once. I'm not timid to stand my ground and expect answers. I have the disc of my mri with the white spots, it's bixarre.

And yes, siezures are normal for who? I would call another dr. and ask if that's true...acting stupid and knowing they will tell you no. And at any age let alone 28.

What prompted you to take your son to a neurologist to begin with?
    Star
  4. Astarte

Astarte New Member

LLYN, yes we all have different response from our doctors so that tells me most of them don't have a clue on this illness. Maybe we should complain more?

Fight, your doing yardwork? Wow...you are a trooper.

Star
  5. Astarte

Astarte New Member

You are exactly right! If it were their own brain with spots or seizures they'd be a bit more concerned. I may actually ask the doctor precisely that.

The neuro said it wasn't MS for sure. Now, how can I be sure that he is sure? Jesh.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with FM with less tests than I have had and she just lives with it, won't apply for SSDI, or look for any solutions. She said her dr. gave her no solution and said she has to learn to live with it.

So anything we all can do to find solutions will help all those who do nothing. When we find something that works, screaming it to each other is a start.

Doing nothing by the drs is malpractice isn't it?

Star
  6. apl

apl New Member

I am planning on getting an MRI to check for these. I have been reading "Osler's Web", which chronicles the discovery and research into CFS/FMS - the author reasearched for this book for 9 years, and it shows. Anyway, the main doctors in this book who were some of the first to encounter CFS/FMS, discovered that their patients were showing lesions (pinpoint, somewhat different to MS lesions, and generally in different areas of the brain from MS).

If any of you haven't read this, I highly recommend it - it's been a wealth of information. It's the best thing I've found on my quest to figure out what is going on with this DD.
  7. Astarte

Astarte New Member

APL, THANK YOU! I will see if I can get that book, right now I'm trying to gobble up any info I can to resolve this illness. Doing nothing and relying on others to figure it out for me is not my style. I'm too bullheaded for that.

Honora, I LOVE THAT to tell him it was his MRI! lol!
    My Neuro said he did want to take another mri a year from this one.

Does anyone have high blood pressure? My new dentist took mine and it was 214/120! I know, crazy high, stroke high! Mine has always been low and I didn't feel any different. The med dr. just gave me some pills to lower it without trying to find out why it was so high...and stayed high for over a month till she gave me the meds. It's now at 146/90 which is much better than before but now low enough yet.

Star
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

If they MRI'd most people over 45(even younger for those with migraines) they would find white lesions in the interior cortex. They will come and go too.

They usually show migraines or even slight injuries. When they are in a different part of the brain and many more and larger they may be TIA's. TIA's heal are not doing permanent irreversable damage BTW.

These white spots are different to Wake's tumors, which are something to be concerned about. Stop worrying about these, neuroradiologists call them UWO's, Unidentified White Objects.

However, when they read your radiologist report, doctors often will read out can mean: a whole list of stuff including scary stuff, but the radiologist just list everything minutely possible(even though the lesions would look different) to cover themselves.

If you are worried get a neuro radiologist to re read the MRIs for you.

Wake I was wondering if you could also get a neuroradiologist to read yours rather than the present set up as they are better at this and give better detailing and explanation.

Love Anne Cromwell (owner of several white spots)
  9. dleaning

dleaning New Member

I have white matter lesions on the left frontal cortex. My neurologist did a spinal tap which came back clear (thank god) of MS. I have had 2 grand mal seizures 15 years apart, one at 19 and second 15 years later. THey could never find out why I had them. I do get migraines as well.

Dawn
  10. Astarte

Astarte New Member

The neuro ruled out MS after seeing the MRI and all my blood work. I wasn’t even concerned about it for some reason. And I just had a disc replaced, my C6, so that could maybe be the reason there were spots…the trauma of that and the injury.

Haley, how is your neice?

Fight, glad to hear you didn’t over do…especially in the heat. I forced myself to the mall today with my daughter. I need to exercise and shopping is a good incentive. Started window shopping then hubby came down to meet us…bought me something for my job interview next Friday. He’s so sweet…can you believe a man who will shop and not be impatient?