White Spots on your Brain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shakes, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Shakes

Shakes New Member

Does anyone have this diagnosis?
    I just got the news and am on my way, this week to a spinal tap and MRA. Have had bone scan and MRI's.

I feel horrible. What does this mean?
  2. Shakes

Shakes New Member

So does that mean they come and go?

I have had severe headaches for 5 weeks now.

Diagnosed FM 5 years.
  3. TallMOM

TallMOM New Member

They must be looking for MS. I have been in the MRI many times. They say you will not have any side effects, but I feel strange, and I will not drive my self home. The spinal tap is the big test. The tap is not bad, its the hours in bed keeping your head down, and again it is the days that follow. We all re-act different to test, but we have ME/CFIDS/FM we never follow the general public.
    The white spots are interesting. I do understand that they may be nothing, but doctors will read the film and have their own ideas. You can always have a different doctor look at the film.
    Take care, Jan
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Search this board. Search by Title, then by Content for white matter lesions or white spots. You'll find quite a few hits. You'll see that most of us who have had an MRIs have white matter lesions. Why is your doctor going to do the spinal tap & MRA?

I have had the lesions or spots for years along with severe migraine headaches and a past history of hypertension (high blood pressure). Many a neuorologist have offered to give me a spinal tap since I have biopsy proven pulmonary sarcoidosis.

Thanks but NO THANKS! I'm keeping my Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)to myself. While it may be useful for diagnostic purposes for others, I believe in my addled brain that mine will come back normal just like most of my other useless tests.

I've had bad migraines since I was 9 years old. That's about 40 years of PAIN from Hades. After trying almost every migraine drug, treatment or product I can tell you what has worked for me besides Imitrex.

1) Food allergy testing & elimination of offenders especially caffeine, processed food especially meats with added nitrates, sulfites, MSG, aspartame (artificial sweeteners), tyramines (wine, beer, aged cheese) and OTC pain relievers.

I am allergic to Ibuprophen and all food dyes. Fruit Loops & Trix cereal were favorites when I was a kid. DUH! Usually, your body craves what you are most allergic or intolerant to because you get endorphins or a sedating effect from eating that food!

2) Getting adequate sleep. I take Ambien CR, melatonin, 5-HTP, and Valerian Root. Antihistimines keep me awake and make me wired.

3) Eating a minimum of 3 meals a day. All non-processed whole foods -- nothing from a can, bottle, box or package.

4) Avoiding alcohol and cigarette smoke.

5) 45 minutes of exercise at least 5-6 days per week, (preferably outdoors). I'll take all the endorphins I can get. My body makes them better than any drug company!

6) Acupuncture & chiropratic.

7) Message Therapy.

8) Homeopathy.

9) Avoid bright lights & overstimulating situations. This means not too much TV, computers, loud noises. The DJs flashing lights at a wedding usually triggers a big fat migraine. Now I skip out early or sit where the lights don't flash in my eyes if I have to be at a party.

10) Herbs. Valerian, Feverfew and Butterbur have helped. St. John's Wort made me crazy with sleeplessness. Every one is different.

There is nothing I can do about changes in barometric pressure or my fluctuating female hormones. Topamax seems to be the new rage with neuros. It made me sleep 18 out of 24 hours. Not worth it to me!

Wish I could give up chocolate but it makes me too darn happy. Recently, I found two brands with no soy (another allergen for me) or soy lecithin. YIPEE!

5. Shakes

Shakes New Member

I am 52 years old and have never had migranes. I am not sure what brought on these headaches. They are unbelievable.
    Thank you for the info.
    Along with the spinal tap,MRAand numerous blood tests to come, they also want an HIV test. I can not figure out what they are looking for. Had the HIV 2 years agoandit was negative.
    Bone scan was fine. I just don't know.

Will search around a bit. Thanks again.
  6. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Five yrs ago i went to Mayo (prior to DX) and the MRI showed white spots. The Dr. wasn't too concerned - so 5 yrs. later 0 no symptoms that tend to make me nervous.

Good luck
    Lilac
  7. auntkisty

auntkisty New Member

Hi Shakes. I too have had three MRIs over a two year period. The first one was taken when my FMS/CFIDS began after my doc put me in the hospital ...it showed everything normal. My rheum. kept ordering them over a period of time because he was certain I had MS. There have been a few spots to appear now over the past couple of years in the location where MS appears in your brain but not in the pattern. I think that may just be part of our diagnosis that hasn't been figured out.
    I also had a spinal tap in the hospital...it is to rule out infections and many other things. Make sure they use a pediatric size needle when doing it. I followed all their instructions..stayed flat etc...but was left with a whole and a leak. They ended up doing an epidural blood patch to correct the problem I think I was flat for about 10 days. Ask your doctor exactly why he wants to do this. Make sure it is necessary. Best of wishes!
  8. Shakes

Shakes New Member

Oh Thanks everyone on the spinal tap info.

Have you all had horrible,sudden, no history of migrane, headahces? Well,actually that include the neck and shoulders!
  9. auntkisty

auntkisty New Member

I have had migraine headaches for 10 years. My shoulder pain is a result of the flare ups not inconjunction with my Headaches.