Whittemore Peterson Claims They Can Reverse CFIDS/ME

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Apr 5, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

There's a new interview up on YouTube. WP is now claiming they can reverse CFIDS/ME using immune modulators and certain cancer drugs. They said they have identified how the viruses are making us sick and how our genetics plays a role in it.

Considering they have been making big claims for awhile now, I am praying this is not false hope. They claim they have had success with alot of patients. I don't know. We need to know more.
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm scared to hope. Plus, how are they going to reverse all the organ damage? How is this going to fix my heart problem, my thyroid problem, my cognitive problems and so on. I just don't see how reversing it will reverse over eighteen years of organ damage. Maybe it will stop further damage? But I don't see how it will fix the current damage.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for posting this. Interesting video but I was very unclear about some of the things they were saying.

Were people actually cured or were they speaking theoretically.

Will they be looking at things other than viruses since there are subsets of ME/CFS. I feel mine is more neurological but I also have FM. Since the antivirals do not seem to be that effective for a lot of people with CFS (not all), I would like to know more about the cancer drugs they are using.

Has this been in the news other than this interview? Was any of this brought up at the conference they had in Nevada?

Lots of questions which I hope will be answered soon.

Yes, let's hope this is not a false hope.

4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I have tons of questions, too. I am really praying they aren't just blowing smoke. They need to hold a conference where we can get some answers going.
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Wow! And Hmm.

I know that the W-P Institute has an extensive set of blood samples and other data from the local population of people with CFS. The thing that I wonder about is: are they going to figure out the cure for just the Incline Village cohort of CFS, or for all of us?

We know that the outbreak of CFS in the Lake Tahoe area involved some kind of infectious agent. I remember the W-P Institute saying that they think it was HHV6.

But some of us got CFS as isolated cases, not as part of a town-wide infectious epidemic. Are viruses the driving force behind our illness, or are our viruses just old ones that got re-activated by a weak immune system?

Thank you for sharing that link, TeaBisqit! It is exciting that the W-P Institute is getting publicity and respect for CFS.
  6. znewby

znewby Member

This is part 2 of the youtube presentation for those like myself who did not find it:

I note that Annette Whittmore is hoping they find a drug that will help her daughter so that is a clue that the answer isn't there yet. Also, she talks about a subset.
  7. kbak

kbak Member

Wow. That was very interesting on youtube! I do see hope there, if for the only reason that it's going to be a huge money maker like cancer. Cynical but true. Which if that's the only way we can finally get our lives back, so be it.

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for posting part 2.

Even if they find a diagnostic test and I hope they do, that does not mean a cure is imminent. We have had a test for Huntingtons for a long time but not any successful treatments.

I am glad that the subsets were mentioned.

I think it is all babysteps.

I don't want to sound so negative but I think we have to be realistic.

9. simpsons

simpsons Member

well this is very exciting times for us patients to at least have a diagnostic test being collaberated on by dr johnathon kerr who has already produced some exciting gene research to be working with them means that the excitement we already saw about his research following up on prof gow in the uk's origional gene research and that of other us gene research is all coming together.

i hope and pray that this will be like a snowball effect

the powers that be want evidence based research that can be replicated and that seems to be happening.

just to have a diagnostic test will give us as patients such force to push forward and just like ms was dismissed as all in the head until a diagnostic test was developed and only then taken seriously. so this will have the same effect for us as patients

having met judy at invest in me last year and heard her talking presenting i am convinced they are dedicated brilliant researchers

some one from this site went to the invest in me conference in london uk last year and i wonder if they are going again this year and so can report back

i know the tape from last year where judy spoke can be bought over the internet from invest in me so you can hear her speak of all this research

i will try to purchase it myself and see how my health/funds are to go again this year. its in may

10. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Thanks so much teabisqit and znewby for posting parts 1 and 2.

It is very exciting to hear the work being done!

I have a whole bunch of questions after watching the videos, as we all do.

I am concerned as to why this wasn't mentioned at the IACFSME conference? If this is new breaking ground research, it seems they would have been falling all over themselves to talk about it.

I don't know what conclusions to draw from that except - are we reading more into this than it is meant to be??

Also, in part 2, Judy mentions that they are collaborating with some drug companies to produce a drug that modulates the immune system and deals with the deficiecies and pathogens associated with CFS. She says this is in clinical trials in Canada right now and that they hope will be in trials in Reno within a year.

Does anyone know what drug she is talking about?

This is very exciting - like mentioned above, I'm scared to get my hopes up but God knows we need a breakthrough!

11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

At first, I thought she was talking about Ampligen, but it sounded like it's something else.

I pray they do release a drug, even in the next two years. It will legitimize us more than anything else.
  12. stschn

stschn New Member

however I've tried both part1 and part2 and I just can't get the video. I hope someone out there can give us a link from here.
  13. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Try going directly to Luminescentfeeling's page and clicking on videos:
  14. spacee

spacee Member

Maybe skeptical about how quickly it will happen, how much it will cost (can the average disabled person afford it???).

Big things are happening with immune studies. These docs are reputable.

Hoping it is our turn.

15. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

If we don't get away from the words chronic fatigue, I'm going to die screaming. I can't take it. After all these years, the name should have been changed long ago. It's not fair. They wouldn't get away with calling Diabetes Chronic Sugar Disease.
  16. vicki007

vicki007 Member

Good one Tesbisqit!! Kristina, I hope they're not talking about Imunovir...the initial study was so pathetic with a sample of size of...what 12? Yet all the CFS docs seemed to prescribe it like candy!!

17. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Vicki - Imunovir sounds like a good guess. I just googled it, I guess it's available in Cananda and some other countries - have you heard of it doing any good at all?

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they are talking about something else :)

In the video they also refer to cancer drugs helping us - anyone have any ideas what types of drugs these would be?

18. outofstep

outofstep Member

It's used for cancer in China. It's an herb that you can order online without a prescription-Dr. Chia prescribes it.
  19. mezombie

mezombie Member

Thanks for posting this, TeaBisqit. These videos certainly inspire hope!

As to why we don't have all the details, I noticed Judy Mikovitz mentioned that she could only say so much prior to the research results being published. So we'll have to be patient. Just think how much we'll gain If the research is published in a well-respected medical journal!

I searched but was unable to find anything about a Canadian drug trial. Perhaps it's a cancer drug already on the market, as such treatment was hinted at in the interviews.

Someone posted about organ damage. Organ damage may not be reversible, but organs that are still structurally sound yet not functioning normally can theoretically be returned to "normal". Many of us here have functional damage, including me.
  20. quamijay

quamijay New Member

the drug in Canadian trials she is talking about is probably isoprinosine.