Whittemore Peterson Institute - Who is Interested?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PolarBear, Aug 27, 2010.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Hi everyone! I have been a member of ProHealth's message boards for a number of years now, but have been away for a long time. A lot has happened since I posted last; namely the Whittemore Peterson Institute! I already did a search and didn't find answers to questions I have. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but it doesn't seem like there are as many interested in the WPI as I thought there would be. Do any of you plan on visiting the WPI? Do you feel like the WPI will be or have the answers to our illnesses? Are you excited about it? If so, why and if not, why? I'm asking because I am trying to get a feel for whether or not I should seriously check into and invest my hopes into the WPI. They are located close to me, luckily.

I was not able to attend the opening, unfortunately, because I am too ill. I plan on contacting them. I have been on their website several times and watched a portion of the speeches given, with the exception of the Whittemore's, which I plan on watching this weekend. I have been unable to be very active in checking all of this out because I am so ill.

Any help or information you can help me with would be great! I would really appreciate your point of view. I thought I would come here first, since this was the first message board (including fibro) I had been active in.

Thank you very much!! I hope we have answers very soon and are able to be healed! Wouldn't that be great!?!

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

interested in WPI. I'm sure you've read about their groundbreaking study in Science magazine last October which found a high incidence of XMRV retrovirus in CFS patients. I think if it were not for WPI, we would know nothing about the XMRV retrovirus. The NIH/FDA study showing even a stronger correlation between CFS and XMRV which was just published would never have been done without the WPI's work. Did you miss all the posts earlier this week about the NIH/FDA study and how excited people were?

What WPI has done is huge. I don't know if they're taking patients but if there's any way you can hook up with them, got for it.

I don't know if they will have the answer for us, but I think if anyone will find it, it will be them or because of the groundwork they have laid.

You are very lucky they are so close to you!

Another board you may want to check out is http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/forum.php

3. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

One can go there, be a patient, have blood drawn, it's tested for many
    things, and the lab is right there! If you can stay there a couple of
    weeks, I think you would find answers.

They say their clinic will be fully staffed by "this fall"/December.

Their lab, VIPdx, is open for XMRV testing: 450 for blood PCR
    test, and about 540 for blood and culture, which is the best one
    to aim for as it's more specific and sensitive.

Reno is going to grow by leaps and bounds, don't you think?

4. spacee

spacee Member

It's jubilee time for me!!

And agree with Glen. It's been a long time and it could have been much longer.
    I wonder after all it proven, if some of the people will go back and read some
    of the ridiculous stuff printed in Medical Journals in the last 25 years and say
    "may this never happen again".

5. hensue

hensue New Member

I was diagnosed many years ago only with fibro. How I even got to reading about xmrv and chronic fatigue I dont remember.

All I remember was CFS sounded very similiar to what I had some not all symptoms were the same.

I was tested and xmrv +.

If it had not been for this women who has devoted herself to find out what is wrong with her daughter. Thank God she had the means to do it.

Annette Whittemore has got the ball rolling and the ball was just sitting there for years.
    It was all in our heads. Now scientists are actually doing studies.

I hope to be in some of the clinical trials in Reno. I dont know yet??
    I was diagnosed in October and not part of the trial. Something God Forbid is making not just an older person like me sick. Young people and that scares me are getting really ill.
    We do not have years to wait.

I am so excited everyday just to read a little about how are science is progressing.

I am with Spacee and Glen it has been to long and could have been much longer.

6. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 New Member

The Whittemore Peterson Institute accomplishes more science each and every month than the CDC does per decade. Please support them any way you can.
  7. rayswife

rayswife New Member

Very interested! In fact, have already signed up to participate in future trials. Would love to get answers for myself (FMS) and everyone else out there with CFS/FMS!
  8. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

You've been away too long, and you have missed a lot!

Here are some sites you might want to learn from:

XMRVGlobalAction.org on Facebook's "Causes"

ME/CFS Worldwide Patient Alliance in Facebook's "Causes"

That's a good start and take your time reading and learning.

The WPI will save lives by the millions before this is all over. If
    you can, contact them and ask to be notified when they are
    making appointments to see patients in their new clinic. If
    you live close, you are one very lucky lady! We all wish we
    could go there, but of course we all can't. The NIH is now
    studying XMRV and other Murine (mouse) Related Retroviruses
    they just found also. Do any and every thing you can to be
    aware and join the various causes that are supporting their
    (the WPI's) work.

May you find your way to Reno and be a part of this most
    amazing discovery and the healing to come!

9. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

The Whittemore Peterson Institute is the only hospital that specializes in CFS and related medical conditions.
    I think this is very significant. One of the main problems for people with CFS is that
    it is hard to find a physician who is educated on the subject.
    Continuing education courses are available for medical professionals. Some medical professionals take the course but many don't.