Who can afford it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Aug 6, 2009.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

How the heck can anyone live on disability? Seriously? What do you do for a home? What about food and clothes? How many people on disability also end up on welfare?

This is very sad. If you pay into the system, you should be able to live with dignity on disability.
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I agree. It's a crying shame.

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

If by welfare, you mean things like food stamps and electricity assist, then many people on SSDI do also end up on welfare....however, if you mean actual welfare payments (checks), it is almost impossible to be on both bc even though SSDI is an extremely poor income for most people who are on it, the limit for what you can make and still get welfare is even lower....and yes I totally agree that it is almost impossible to live on what most people get from SSDI.....I am in that same boat and it is insane - I am almost out of the little money I had managed to save and have been using to supplement my SSDI and when it's gone I have no idea how I am going to manage....and though I completely understand paulac's statement about selling the Harley, I wish I had something like that to be able to sell
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've literally been forced into poverty by the system this year. I don't get in enough to eat, so I've had no choice but to keep using up what I've had left. None of the programs will help you unless you are dirt poor. In about another month, I'll finally be able to apply for foodstamps and medicaid again. But even with that, I can't afford to eat. They just raised my rent again, thirty-five more dollars. I have car insurance, a cat to take care of and utility bills. All I get in a month is 568. And when my money is gone, I'll have to completely give up the tv. There won't be enough money for me to buy my prescrips, food, and pay the bills. They expect you to live in complete poverty and none of the programs take into account car insurance, internet, tv or a pet. You simply aren't supposed to have those things if you are poor and sick.

And I'm in a scary massive flare right now and have no clue how I'll ever manage. I can barely walk to the bathroom now.
  5. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Hang in there.

There is some excellent info on the Web with regard to healthy and cheap meals.

Start out by getting the biggest thing of rice you can at Wal Mart... It's probably the cheapest around for this nutritious staple.

Again, hang in there. As you know, the flare will eventually subside. Just hang in...