who can write Rxs? Just MDs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Nov 26, 2006.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

hi
    I need an Rx to get some glutathione.. does anybody know if anyone other than an MD can write a prescription?

Wot about chiropractors and naturopaths?

Cheers
    Delia
  2. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Glutathione is a compound. I found the second part quite interesting and found the information on the following website: http://www.wellnesshealth.com

Question:
    Who can prescribe compounded medications?

Answer:
    Medical doctors, doctors of osteopathy, and naturopathic doctors can prescribe compounded medications.

Question:
    How does the Glutathione work?

Answer:
    There are many factors that explain why glutathione is so beneficial in Parkinson's disease. First, glutathione has the unique ability to make certain areas of the brain more sensitive to dopamine, so that even though dopamine is decreased, it nevertheless becomes more effective aka it increases the dopamine receptor's sensitivity. Another possible mechanism is it's antioxidant activity-protecting the brain from free radical damage. Additionally, glutathione has tremendous detoxifying ability through out the entire body.

Hope this is what you needed.
    Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blesed Be,
    Laurie
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Physician assistants also
  4. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

A physicians assistant (PA) & and doctor of osteopathy (DO) can both prescribe medications under a regular practitioner's name.

As I found above I am pretty sure it is the same for a naturopath as long as it is a compound medication, as far as other medications, I cannot say.

I worked as a nurse in a clinic for 4 years and the PA & DO were common practice, but we did not have a naturopath. So not positive but fellow healthcare workers when I asked them agreed they could. Not sure why and may vary from state to state. But all states are the PA & DO.

I wish you lots of luck and was curious why you wanted to know who else could besides your regular physician?

Good luck and take care,
    Blessed Be & Kitten Hugs,
    Laurie

5. saddlebred

saddlebred New Member

Nurse pract. can write RX. That's who I see abd she's GREEEEAT!

Hope this helps!
  6. deliarose

deliarose New Member

thanks for your input.

Laurie: I don't really have a regular MD. I was seeing an alternative MD and I concluded her prices were inflated and she was ripping me off..

But I want to get some glutathione from Wellness Pharmacy no less (u think I wld have read the small print..there) and it would be cheaper for me to see a naturopath or chiro or whatever .. and get them to prescribe..than go back to this woman MD that I've been seeing.

Cheers
    Delia