Who diagnoses besides Rheumy's?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. lenasvn

    lenasvn New Member

    Who have diagnosed people with FM/CFS besides Neurologists and MD's? I hear all this about ignorant Neurologists, have there been others, like Cardiologists, Physical Therapists or the like that have told you that they suspected FM and/or CFS in you before you got diagnosed?
  2. lenasvn

    lenasvn New Member

    I'm going to find out if a Chiropractor would be paid for by my insurance. Otherwise, it'll have to be my birthday present to go on Jan.3. Thanks for the help.
  3. JLH

    JLH New Member

    ANY type of doctor could diagnose you with fm/cfs IF he/she were knowledgeable of the syndrome. However, the problem is that not ALL doctors are knowledgeable!

    FM/CFS falls under the speciality of a Rheumy. I happen to go to an internal medical doc who is very knowledgeable of my fibro/cfs, arthritis, and systemic lupus--everything that I go to my rheumy for! In fact, he helps me MORE than my rheumy does! He just wants me to go to my Rheumy every 4-6 months to make sure that he is not missing anything.

    I have heard of many people here going to neurologists and other type doctors for a diagnosis, but I think you would be more apt to get a diagnosis from your primary care physician becasue he/she is the one who normally tests you for everything, and would be ruling out everything else.

    If you go to a chiropractor, he may or may not be able to tell you that he thinks you may have fm/cfs; however, a if you want a "true" diagnosis, a medical doc would have to do it because they normally make the diagnosis AFTER they rule out everything else!! and ... a chiropractor could not do that.

    Just something to think about.

    Have you brought this up with your PCP?
  4. lenasvn

    lenasvn New Member

    My current physician is a joke as my previous posts have expressed. This is a small town, the nearest Rheumy (for my insurasnce) 3-4 hour drive away. I don't have many options here, sad but true. My profile might explain some!
    Thanks for answering!

    Many hugs,
  5. jfrustrated

    jfrustrated New Member

    My general doctor suspected that I had cfs, but she referred to me to a clinical diagnostician who confirmed a post viral fatigue syndrome, which, with time, developed into full blown cfs. Then I was lucky enough to get into a doctor who almost specializes in cfs and who ordered all sorts of specialized blood, urine and saliva tests.

    A clinical diagnostician is a well-educated doctor, who specializes in seeing people who have things wrong with them, but the gp does not know, for certain, what it is. Their expertise seems to be in knowing what type of tests to have done, and how to interpret those tests results.

    This is in Aust. so it could be different where you are.

[ advertisement ]