Who else besides me is taking an inflammatory drug?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

The doc put me on BEXTRA..anyone take this?
    Carla
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

The doc put me on BEXTRA..anyone take this?
    Carla
  3. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I take an anti-inflammatory drug called Mobic..Not too many people have heard of it..I used to take Celebrex which really didn't do much for me..Then got switched to Vioxx about 2yrs ago, it did take the edge off, but I also have OA, & DDD..Now, just this past July, my rhuemy took me off Vioxx for no reason and put me on this Mobic..I really think he did it because of vioxx getting a lot of negative things with the press..
    I have a s/i/l who was just put on Bextra a few weeks ago, but she doesn't have FM, only OA and she said she feels great and that it has helped her so much..
    Read your profile..........Go #8!!!!!
    Take Care..........Donna
  4. JP

JP New Member

Vioxx here for arthritis.
  5. mistyb

mistyb New Member

I took a number of anti inflammatories, and the last was Mobic. I thought is was a pretty good med. I have been off since July due to surgery and have not been on one since.

Hope this helps

Misty
  6. kaymac

kaymac New Member

Hello all,

I am a lurker, reading messages as I have time, haven't really posted. I take bextra and it seems to help. I was on mobic, and daypro and it didn't help at all. I take the bextra every day and double it when I am in major flare!

kaymac
  7. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

I love my Bextra!

I took Vioxx for about 1 1/2 yrs and always had swelling in my ankles and feet.

Doctor took me off Vioxx about 2 mths ago because of the studies showing it mite could cause high blood pressure and heart problems, of which I have both.

My feet and ankles no longer swell and it seems to help with my muscle and joint pain.

Gentleness
  8. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I was just put on celebrex for costochronditis,feel a little better,but will see in a week or two if I will continue.This is the worst it has been-3weeks non stop.I was on Mobic at one time for fibro-did nothing.
  9. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

I take Vioxx and it really helps take the edge off my shoulder pain as well as an old knee injury. My husband was put on Bextra in the spring for a knee injury and he finds it quite effective. Thankfully, his perscription is covered by Workman's Comp. as the injury happened a work. Apparently the Bextra is supposed to be a lot easier on the stomach.
  10. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I have taken Mobic off and on for the past year. My primary physician had prescribed it for bursitis I have in my
    shoulder from a stupid at-home accident (I bumped into a
    door at full speed with my shoulder...don't ask).
    Then I he referred me to rheumatologist for my chronic
    pain. Was diagnosed with FMS. Blood test also show borderline SLE & RA. X-rays show degenerative OA in neck.
    However rheumatologist says he does not think I need
    anti-inflammatory. But on those days when I have swelling
    in my hands, I'll take one. Work OK.
    Watch Vioxx. My sister was on it. Caused her liver to swell.
    It's finally getting back to normal
  11. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I do it at 4-6 hr intervals, I have found it very necessary, with the muscle relaxer & ultram, good combo for me. I was on salsalate, different doc, it was good too.

Jaci
  12. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I was taking Vioxx too. My doctor took me off because I had elevated liver function tests. I now take Mobic as needed. No side effects! :)
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

FMS is not an inflammatory illness, so unless a person has another condition which is inflammatory, these drugs are of very limited use and, in my opinion, not worth the risks. Despite this, docs, especially rheumies, continue to try to make us fit into their world of inflammatory conditions.

I do believe that FMS can produce some inflammation in surrounding tissues and that is why the anti-inflammatories offer some help. I have tried them only to find that plain old ibuprophen and acetaminophen (sp?) do just as well.

Love, Mikie
  14. alomasp

alomasp New Member

many meds for fms, but i take "mobic" for OA
    alomasp
  15. allhart

allhart New Member

i was just put on bextra the only thing it helps me with is the arthritsis in my jaw,
  16. ArtTeacher

ArtTeacher New Member

I'm on Bextra and it seems to work. I don't have the neck stiffness & pain in the morning... what a relief. I also don't feel the burning tightness in my arms as much. & my grip is better in both hands. Toward the end of the night I start to feel it. I'm also on a mild muscle relaxer at bedtime. I havn't felt this good in years.
  17. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

What mgs is everyone taking. They got me on 20 right now. Yes I agree with ya on the flammatory but what do ya do? You pretty much have to take what the doc gives ya cause if ya dont they think your just not wanting to try their meds and then they take it offensive. To be honest with ya, since i'm taking the Bextra, skelaxin,Zoloft and Elivil, I dont know which one is helping..Maybe none of them..maybe my hot baths is helping more. So who knows, I just take what they give me and hope for relief..
    Carla
  18. Wilfred

Wilfred New Member

Carla, I have heard of an Amish man the putting people on a product the is natural and not a DRUG. It has not side effect. Would you want to find out more let me know and I would try to get in touch with him.

God Bless........................
  19. Rea

Rea New Member

for probably 8 years but just had to quit because of stomach problems. I have OA, spinal stenosis and osteonecrosis. But I need something now.

[ advertisement ]