Who else gets visual disturbances?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eggshel344, Jul 15, 2005.

1. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

And how do you deal with them?

I have FM and I get horrible visual distrubances, from how it feels when some one flashes a camera in your eyes to 100x worse that that. I also sometimes feel like someone is holding a disco ball behind my ears and I can barely see the shining at my sides.

They drive me nuts, and I can't figure out if there is something that triggers them or how to get rid of them.

They don't seem to be related to my headaches, which I also get auras from. FYI.

Thanks for any in"sight"

Samantha
    [This Message was Edited on 07/15/2005]
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

These sound like visual or eye migraines, & if so the only way to make them go away is to lie down in a darkened room.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I get them, I get a bright yellow ring, like a donut in my vision. I also get the little glittering lights. My eye doc said these are ocular migraines which do not go on to become headaches. He said in very rare cases, these can cause blindness. If they last more than 20-30 minutes, one should see one's eye doc.

I have found that taking .25 mg. of Klonopin will often help them go away faster. Once in a blue moon, I will get zig zags in my visual field too.

Love, Mikie
  4. pblondeau46

pblondeau46 New Member

I get that too. I get the aura, visual disturbance and sometimes no headache. I do get fatigue and light sensitivity. This can go on for days, depending on how bad the flare is.
  5. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

Yes i get the visual disturbances and the aura, sometimes followed by a migraine sometimes not.

Helen
  6. craziC

craziC New Member

I believe that Mikie is right about it possibly being occular migraines. And I think most with FM have experienced visual problems. I guess it just goes with everything else. Have you spoke with your doc about this? If not, I suggest you do. By the way, I like your closing sentence" in"sight" - very cute!
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

and my eye doctor said they were migraines. But I have only had about 2 migraine headaches in my life. These were not headaches.

I have heard them mentioned here as visual migraine auras and I thought they were from a mini stroke as sometimes after it went away in 5 to 10 minutes my right hand would just suddenly go completely numb for about 5 minutes.

I haven't had this for a long time, though. But I noticed it started when I was on the computer or had my head turned for a decent amount of time.

Hope I don't have them anymore.

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. libra55

libra55 New Member

I have uveitis so I get the visual disturbances a lot, plus the pain and the red eye.

I will usually get an "aura" about 24 hours before I have a uveitis flare up, I have gotten so I can predict them with startling regularity.

My opthalmologist does not know if the visual disturbances are related to FM or the uveitis, or both.

Michelle
  9. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

After researching this morning, I think that must be what happened to my left eye. My vision looked strange in that one eye, and at the peripheral it was like things were jumping around. I got this brightness in my left eye then like a darkening again. It lasted about 20 min. and I honestly thought I was having a stroke. I've always been light sensitive but lately the patterns of light and dark seem to imprint for at least 20 min instead of going away after a couple of min. Very scary I have to say.

Can anybody add to this.
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

Yea, I get real blurry vision sometimes. Whatever I look at usually has a halo around it especially if it is lights. It just comes and goes. Then, sometimes I have a real cold shooting pain go through my eye. Don't have a clue.
  11. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

I used to get them really bad. I too would get the yellow ring and the flashes of lightning in the corner of my eyes. A couple of times, I even lost vision in my left eye for about 10 minutes.

It used to absolutely terrify me until I got on this board and saw that others had experienced some of the same things too....just made me feel better knowing it was not that uncommon. I have other things too...but too many to list.