Who else sleeps a LOT????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jole, Oct 22, 2006.

1. jole

jole Member

After reading some of the posts on sleeping, I feel like maybe something else is wrong with me. I sleep and sleep and am still tired. I can sometimes sleep 12 hours at night, take a 2-3 hour nap, and sleep again that night.

After a trying day it is nothing for me to sleep 16-18 hours to play catch up. I just cannot stay awake. Am I the only one like this? Is is something besides FM?

Please reply.

Friends - Jole
  2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I am in bed at least 20 hrs a day. I totally understand where you are coming from.
  3. Geegafer

Geegafer New Member

Jole:
    I sleep a lot and get static from my family.
    They used to make me feel guilty but now I tell them that they don't understand Fibro or Lupus and if they want to read up on it I'll suggest some books. Well, that makes them shut up becasue they really don't want to read about it and they know that I'm giving the guilt back to them.
    I wouldn't try to fight the sleep if you think you need it. Whenever I did I ended up feeling much worst for days.
    I have problems getting to sleep and usually get to sleep by 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. and can't wake up until about 10:00 or 12:00
    Some days I could sleep for 15 or 16 hours but then nobody will have a good dinner at my house.
    Take care and sleep good.
    Gigi
  4. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Nine hours a nite now that I am feeling better. Much more when I was in full blown CFS and I needed it. Unfortunately, with a new, fussy baby at the time, I never got as much sleep as I needed. More sleep at that time would have helped me, I am sure of it.

The only sleep problem I had was during menopause. I would wake up aroung 2 or 3 AM and be up for a few hours. Very unlike me. That lasted a few years.

It seems to me like the FM people can't sleep and the CFS people can't get enough of it! Just my obsevation.
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

It seems that I have to take a 30>60 Min. nap about every
    3 hrs or so. Think it is pretty "normal" for CF. Has
    become increasingly an acute and progressive problem!
    Fell a sleep sitting on the Rail of the "Porch" and fell
    below into the Tulips Carla-NL had planted! Just can't
    keep awake. Get so tired it actually "hurts"! I believe
    that I sleep "well" at night yet wakeup unrefreshed. Is
    it all familiar to you? How long has it been a problem
    and has it increased in quanitive ways?

Your friend,
    MRDAD

6. baanders

baanders New Member

The naps are what I can't stand. If I could just prop myself up against a wall or have my husband sit me up and prop my eyes open with toothpicks!

Baanders
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I sleep alot because I use Ambien and just sleep in until I get up. Usually it is 8-10 hours.

Have you tried a drug called Provigil. It helps you wake up. I tried it and it seemed to to work well.
  8. Vegan_Zoey

Vegan_Zoey New Member

I know exactly what you mean, I get 14+ hours a day sleep, easy. I've had sleep studies, I've tried provigil, tried forcing myself to stay awake.. Nothing worked and some made me worse. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has some ^^;
  9. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

I usually don't sleep at all but yesterday was one of my "crash" days. Slept 8 am - 5 pm and the 10 pm -9 am. Somewhere though I still feel crappy. :) If I had no responsibilities and no appointments and no classes....I'd sleep from 10pm-12pm every stinking day. Hope your lots of sleep is beneficial for you
  10. spacee

spacee Member

I highly recommend Enada nadah. Lisapetrison has a post on where you can get it from a compounding pharamacy. It is much less expensive than getting the tablets through this site.

I use 15mg a day. So, I would order a 60mg tablet. Break it into 1/4s and the RX would last 4 months...$25 for 4 months!

Others take alot more of it. Lisa takes 100mg.

You PCP has to prescribe it but you could take an article in about the Enda NADH. That is what I do when I need something out of the ordinary.

Here is the compounding Pharmarcy...I will bump up Lisa's thread too.

Belmar Pharmacy
    12860 West Cedar Street
    Suite 210
    Lakewood, CO 80228

800-525-9473-303763-5533

Spacee
  11. spacee

spacee Member

I highly recommend Enada nadah. Lisapetrison has a post on where you can get it from a compounding pharamacy. It is much less expensive than getting the tablets through this site.

I use 15mg a day. So, I would order a 60mg tablet. Break it into 1/4s and the RX would last 4 months...$25 for 4 months!

Others take alot more of it. Lisa takes 100mg.

You PCP has to prescribe it but you could take an article in about the Enda NADH. That is what I do when I need something out of the ordinary.

Here is the compounding Pharmarcy...I will bump up Lisa's thread too.

Belmar Pharmacy
    12860 West Cedar Street
    Suite 210
    Lakewood, CO 80228

800-525-9473
    303-763-5533

Spacee
  12. jole

jole Member

Wow, I slept right through all the responses! Surprised??

Mymichelina - that's about usual for me too on my sleepy days. We miss out on a lot!!

Donnaeil - concerning sleep study - My hubby has sleep apnea, and I really don't feel I do because I don't snore or stop breathing like he does. But will keep it in mind.

Lukro and Geegafer-thanks for posting!

Prunella - I have also been wondering if it could be CFS instead of FM. May have to ask about that. Thanks!

Mrdad - You know, when I first got sick I was awake constantly - wandered the house and never ended up in bed for months. Then it changed overnight to this, and now it swings back and forth between no sleep for weeks, then no waking up for weeks. Don't know which is the worst!! The pain is always there though, and I never feel rested either way.

Baanders and lindly - Thanks!!

PV Lady - No I haven't tried Provigil - kinda scared to - I may never sleep again!LOL

Vegan and Liz - It's awful, isn't it? Liz, so sorry!

Spacee - Thanks for your suggestion of the Enada nadah. I copied the addy and will ask my PCP about it. I really worry about some things, though.

Friends to all~You're great!
    Jole
  13. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Jole,

Your symptoms sound pretty typical of CFS. My daughter and I both sleep roughly 10 -14 hours a day. Nasty, nasty, illness is all I can say.

Foxglove
  14. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

have CFS or FM? I sleep about 6-8 hrs at night and must lay down every afternoon for 2-4 hrs. It depends on how bad the pain is the night before and how much it kept me up.

Suzette
  15. ll1816

ll1816 Member

I have the same problem you do. I can sleep and sleep and sleep and never feel refreshed.

I tried Provigil for awhile and it worked at first but then stopped.

I also had a sleep study done and no apnea. So I struggle every day w/this.

I'm seeing a naturopath who is trying to help me with herbs, but nothing is working.

I wish I had something positive to say, but unfortunately I think this is one of the symptoms that can be the primary one.

You're not alone.

Hugs,
    Liz
  16. tinktink

tinktink New Member

Just woke up from a nap I couldn't have avoided if I were in the middle of times square.
  17. jole

jole Member

Thanks for replying. I hate all this sleeping,but just can't do without it. I really think I have CFS even though I was not diagnosed with it, yet I do know I have FM. Maybe there is something to the reverse sleep cycle, I don't know but will check into it.

I feel like so much of my time is wasted, and I hate it!

Friends - Jole
  18. darude

darude New Member

Started out with Insomnia for 6 months and then turned into sleeping 10-12 hours a day.
  19. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

I cannot stay awake! The ONLY time I'm up early is if I have to be up for an appt. or something. Then it's an absolute killer for me. I've actually fell asleep driving before! I have fibro, but I swear I have CFS also. I take Klonopin to sleep. Sunday was a bad day for me. I was awake all night, so didn't make it to church. I literally slept all day... I woke a few times to get a drink/go to the restroom. I fell back asleep, woke at 9pm, took my meds, and slept the entire night! Which I NEVER do... That doesn't happen that severe unless the weather changes, etc, which it had. It's winter here, no Indian Summer right now-it stinks!
    Normally, I am awake till 2am, it takes me an hour to fall asleep, if I do, & I wake constantly. I will wake up at 9am, or about, & feel like c---. So, I end up sleeping till 12 or 12:30. I went to my GP about this. His response was, "Well, you can't sleep all day. You won't have a life". Like I have 1 anyway! He told me to set an alarm in the pm, go to bed the same time everynight, & if I nap, set an alarm & don't sleep longer than an hour. (It takes an hour for me to FALL asleep). He just didn't get it. It's like I don't have a choice. I kept trying to explain this to him.I literally CANNOT stay awake. I have no control over it. I feel like I will hit the floor if I just go in to brush my teeth, I want a nap when I get to the living room. Is this CFS? ANYONE? I am switching to a new rheumy once my GP gets the appt for me, my old one isn't in our network anymore, & I fired him anyway. (Long story). But is there a test the new Dr. can do, to see if I have this? I could possibly get in to the new one by next week, if my GP gets on the ball w/ his referral. Thanks for any help!