Who else takes Amitriptyline

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wle, Aug 7, 2003.

1. wle

wle New Member

Would love any input I can get on this drug. My Doc just put me on it yesterday. Took the first dose last night....
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2003]
  2. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

Amitriptyline (Elavil is the brand name) is an antidepressant that is supposed to help relieve all the symptoms of FM. FM patients supposedly have low levels of serotonin and norepinephrine, two of the neurotransmitter chemicals that carry messages between brain nerve cells. Ami increases levels of serotonin and norepinephrine, which are involved in the regulation of pain, pleasure, anxiety, panic, arousal, and sleep behavior

Ami was the first medication I was placed on for FM. It did help with my insomnia and helped to relieve the other symptoms as well (they weren't as intense). There were even days where I felt almost like my normal self so I was definitely able to function better, although days where I felt ok were very unpredicatable. What I didn't like about it, is that I would build a tolerance for a certain dosage and then have to keep increasing it. So I stopped taking it and am now taking flexiril and guaifenesin. I've heard that Ami works for some people and not for others. With the meds for FM we just have to keep trying different ones to see which ones work best. Hope you find relief soon. Take care.
    Alicia
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2003]
  3. catsii

catsii New Member

WLE, I was first put on elavil many many years ago for migraine. I had such a hard time with it. Not only did it not work for migraine but caused severe "reactions" to me. Like, it hyped me rather than making me sleep and when i did sleep it was not restful and full of weird, nightmares. Also i began to have swelling in my left ankle and foot as well as severe diahrea(sp) to point was passing blood. Would also see things out the corner of my vision like black specks..bugs, etc. NOW..must say it took me and my doc's long time to figure out it was the meds !

I know this med works and works quite well for some..but wanted to share this knowledge with you just in case you had any weird things happening with you once you are taking it for a while. good luck catsii
  4. Takesha

Takesha New Member

and it works well for my pain, However, I am on 100 mgs every night and it makes me sleep for up to 12 hours and then I am groggy for about 4 more hours after I wake up. I will be asking to change the medication when I see my doctor later this month. I would like to be able to sleep at night and still be awake during the day.
    Takesha
  5. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I was on Ami years ago. Interesting to see that someone mentioned one of the side effects as diarrhea, it made me terribly constipated. (As an aside, I take the store brand of fiber tablets daily, it helps with either condition. The added fiber in your system gives bulk to remedy the watery stool of diarrhea and the bulk also is an aid for constipation. Gross, I know, but it does work. I also have IBS, and my GI told me to take it a long time ago.) Back to the subject at hand. My side effects were, as I already mentioned constipation, dry mouth, and a slight weight gain. Hope this helps.
  6. arod59_2

arod59_2 New Member

my doc just put me on it about a week ago an i still haven't taken it ive heard to many things about it, an my husband was on it for awhile an he was sleepy all the time.i sure don't need that! plus i have trouble tolorating meds.but it might not cause you any prob everyones diff. good luck!
  7. wle

wle New Member

I took my first dose last night. I can't say I feel anything much at all yet. Not sure if I slept better or not. I am really tired today, but I am really tired lots of days..................I didn't have any harder time waking up. I can't afford ANY weight gain!!!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions if this doesn't work for me. My Doc is wonderful and really listens to all I have to say and to my suggestions too! I feel blessed to have him and her - there are two in the practice and I can see either or.......
  8. DeMcKen

DeMcKen New Member

I started at 25mg in May or June (who can remember) and I had a period of 4or5 days in June when I felt great; I went out, mowed the lawn, cleaned my house. I did more in those few days than I'd done in the previous few months. Unfortunately it didn't last. I'm now up too 100mg and it does seem to help me sleep and I'm not so achy as long as I don't over do it. It does take some time to get into your system so give it a month, if you're tolerating it, before you make an decisions.

Good luck,

Denise
  9. Chelz

Chelz New Member

WLE, Hello!! I took amitriptiline (Elavil) many years ago. The best advice I can give you is to watch for weight gain. I don't know if your doctor informed you about this, but it's pretty common with this drug. I did sleep a little better on it, but it wasn't a normal kind of sleep, it made me feel very drugged and I was on only 10 mg's. I had to get off of it because of weight gain, sluggisness and vision problems.

I am not a fan of using antidepressants for FMS. Only you can determine to start or get off these drugs. Do a search on Elavil and get the pros and cons. The great people on this board will help you also. Good luck, Hugs Chelz.
  10. libra55

libra55 New Member

Many years ago (before my fibromyalgia days) my doctor prescribed Amitriptyline (Elavil) for me as I was suffering from depression. I don't remember the dosage, as it has been a long time. What I do remember is that it lifted me out of the doldrums and made me functional again. I did have constipation and a tendency to get "hyped up" but these side effects did not appear until I had been on the medication quite a while, and I had already derived great benefits from it, so I considered them minor trade-offs. Give it a try and good luck.
  11. kfsunshine

kfsunshine New Member

I have CFS and I only take 10mg at night to help me sleep. It has worked wonders in the last two months. I am sleeping better and feeling a lot better ( I also started taking a lot of vitamins at the same time so some of it could be from the vitamins). I do get heart palpatations from it on a daily basis but I feel like the benefits outweight the negatives. I am taking CoQ10 to help with the palpatations and they have become pretty minimal.