WHO GETS NIGHTTIME/EARLY AM PANIC ATTACKS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baanders, Jun 21, 2006.

1. baanders

baanders New Member

I often get nighttime and early morning panic attacks...for no reason at all. I take ultracet. Klonopin is for anxiety (no longer works well after several years). I feel sheer terror. Am I the only one? Any suggestions?
  2. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I was having some anxiety attacks, my doctor gave me xanax.

I JUST COULD NOT TAKE THIS DRUG.I TAKE ZOLOFT NOW. SOMETIMES OUR BODY GETS ACCUSTOMED TO ONE DRUG AND WE NEED MORE OR SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

I KNOW THE SHEER TERROR.I KNOW THAT THIS SOUNDS CRAZY BUT CHANGE WHAT YOU ARE LISTENING TO AND TAKING INTO BODY.

CHANGE THE WAY YOU ARE THINKING,SOME COUNCELLING COULD HELP.SOMETIMES SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE US A DIFFERENT WAY OF LOOKING AT LIFE.

I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS.HAVE YOU EVER READ ANYTHING BY DR.WAYNE DYER?GO TO THE LIBRARY GET SOME POSITIVE BOOKS OR LISTEN TO POSITIVE TAPES,CD'S........
  3. baanders

baanders New Member

Thanks for some of the wonderful advice. I am about one in several thousand who cannot tolerate most medicines, especially antidepressants, antibiotics, even some antihistamines. I can take compazine for panic attacks. I like your advice on non-medicine approaches. Can anyone else share?

blessings
    baanders
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I can't say I get actual panic attacks - I've had those and this ain't it - but I do find that I'm usually very anxious when I first wake up, before I do my pep talk and get going with my day.

Marta
  5. baanders

baanders New Member

I know what you mean...you have to say positive things even before you step out of bed. This is different...I've woken up out of my sleep out of the blue in sheer terror.

Thanks for listening. You all have been very kind. I hope there are some other suggestions.

:) baanders
  6. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I have only had one official full blown panic attack (i must be lucky that it hasen't happened again so far, and it was 7 years ago).

But occasionaly at night my heart starts pounding like mad, in my chest while I am trying to fall asleep. and one can't fall asleep when your heart is pounding like that!
    It happens out of the blue and I'm completely relaxed and sleepy. it's crazy!

I think I have noticed it more If I have eaten alot of ice cream a few hours before bed. I think it messes with something (insulin? cortisol?) that makes my heart go crazy. it's scary- feels like you're gonna have a heart attack.

hasn;'t happened in awhile, and been eating less icecream too!

Baander- does this sound like what happens to you?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2006]
  7. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I would say most of my panic attacks happen at night. They seem to come out of nowhere. Mostly before I go to bed. But, sometimes as I drift off to sleep I will wake up in a panic attack. Very scary, feel like I can't breathe and I feel like I will pass out at any moment, but never do. I don't know what it is about the nighttime, but I feel much more comfortable in the light of day. I take Xanax. I wish I didn't have to, but I don't know what I would do in those times without it. It really helps. When I have been on zoloft for a while, my panic attacks usually stop. But, I tried to start taking it again and my stomach was very nauseated and I was getting dizzy.

I hate that we have to deal with them. I hope you find something natural to help you. Please post if you do. Well, you are not alone and I will say a prayer for you.

Kim :)
  8. lease79

lease79 New Member

I used to have alot of trouble with them, I would wake with my heart belting so hard it would feel like it was going to break out of my chest, sweating & in total terror. It would take me ages to calm my heart down again enough to sleep.
    I would sometimes get more than one a night,
    It settled down for a long time, but I've had trouble with stress lately & have noticed that I am having 'mild' (if there's any such thing!) ones again.
  9. shep

shep New Member

I was having these on a regular basis..my doctor suggested a sleep apena test and I tested postive.
    I stopped breating 32 times in 6 hours. I was waking myself up so I would breath.

Just a suggestion ..it might be worth a good nights sleep to have the test done.

Best Wishes ,,
    Shep
  10. elliespad

elliespad Member

Are you also prone to Hypoglycemia? If so, then it's quite possible that your blood sugar drops by early moring. Your bodies' response to raise it would be to produce Adrenaline, and to wake you. This unopposed Adrenaline is obviously not productive when trying to sleep.

So, before you head to bed, make sure you are NOT eating heavy carbs (which cause blood sugar levels to plummet) AND have a handful of NUTS ready to eat if you wake with anxiety. The protein will help even out the blood sugar and give you staying power. I would use Almonds or Walnuts, nothing sweet though.

Let me know if this helps:).

11. joanng

joanng New Member

I'm with Marta with the early morning anxiety. I wake up feeling very anxious, and I need to give myself the pep talk, say my prayers, coax myself out of bed and if I'm feeling really shaky I take valium. I never thought of the blood sugar thing. There are times when I snack at night with sugary foods. However, lately I've been taking enzymes and really working on killing off the yeast so my sugar cravings have dropped dramatically. Strangely, this feeling happens on Monday mornings mostly so I can chalk it up to being stressed about another busy work week, "wasting" the weekend and having a lot of leftover work that I didn't accomplish or my screwed up weekend sleep schedule and eating habits that are very different from the Mon-Fri schedule. I'll try the nuts though, sounds interesting. Thanks.
  12. baanders

baanders New Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It helps to know that I'm not alone. I've never associated food and panic attacks. I used to use food to stop or prevent panic attacks, but it never worked, I only gained 20 lbs. I know that stress levels have a lot to do with it. I agree with the adrenaline theory. I wonder if anyone has noticed this: I've taken 2 naps this evening due to the fatigue. Then I'm wide awake at night...but I can't resist the naps. The wide awake feeling at night feels anxious in a way because I wish I could be in bed tired.

Does this make sense?
    Thanks.
    baanders
  13. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i cant believe someone posted this!!!
    i always kept forgetting to ask so thanks alot!!:)
    when i go to bed
    and lay there for a few minutes-
    its like all of a sudden my anxiety rises

and its like the fight or flight thing hitting me.
    my adrenaline rises and i am close to panicking
    but i try to not give into it
    or they would put me in a funny farm...
    i think its all the med i am taking-
    really
    doing something to me.
    i feel like all my brain chemicals are so messed up
    that i hardly can figure out
    'which is what'...:)
  14. Britt2

Britt2 New Member

THat was when I was in a very stressful position and I think that is what was bringing them on. I had to take ativan to help me through it. But I was having them back to back the SECOND I woke up....even before my eyes were awake, just in those first few seconds that your body is waking up, bang, I would start to have them. Since then I have had to take a sick leave.....thank god, that seemed to help and I dont have them very much at all. Taking your self out of the stressful positions you are in that is making it worse seems to work.
  15. NO1NOS

NO1NOS New Member

omg!! were all not nocturnal crazy 1's haha
    tx 2 all of u who wrote about this is is me excactly.
    i wake up @ 11,1a. 3a, finally get up instant adrenelin, panic attack, heart raising, like i cant get out of bet quick enough,, start my "so called day",,, on 2-4 hrs sleep wow lucky us lol,
    so sorry others go through this too, its hard to heal , decrease pain without proper sleep. i even take sleep meds musc, klonp, still wake up guess nt working.
    GOOD LUCK GOD BLESS
    hope all get some anxiety, panic free sleep, i wear ear plugs, 2 fans on and tv block out sound n eye thingy for light obv..dont help ha always up by 1 to 3 am calif.
    during the day ill try to eat lunch and nod off wow pretty funny good thing i dont drive those days at all.

thank you sleepy heads, hope ur attacks ease up ill pray for all of you
    no1nos
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You know I think one of the worse things for me beside the pain here is feeling anxious about them. Never knowing if that chest pain is the heart, wondering if that stomach pain is cancer, worrying that the head weirdness is a tumor. We are sort of hypochondriacs by proxy with this illness as so much is left up in the air for us.

It is that sort of nagging concern that gets me anxious. Talk about physician heal thyself, even I (the psych.) have a hard time talking myself through it. It does not help that most docs tend to slough our pains off either.

When I get rich someday I will emply one of those high tech docs who will check out every inch of my system and rule out everything so I get no more anxiety.

I also get anxious when driving too, as well as just before sleep and on waking. I find that a sweet beverage can help so it could be linked to low blood sugar too.

Love you all,

Anne