Who gets the mystery sore throats?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spmom, Apr 12, 2008.

1. spmom

spmom New Member

On the last day of my vacation (yesterday) I came down with a bad sore throat, where everything starts to swell and get a lot of pain like tonsilitis. I thought I was getting a cold and was just happy it did not interupt the vacation. I woke up today and everything was fine. Later in the morning I got the painful sore throat again, but then it went away. I've had these before (more frequently a few years ago) and I'm wondering if who else gets them. I'm certain that they are fibro related since they just come and go, not like a cold. Anyone have these?
  2. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

In fact I have one right now.I have always had trouble with my tonsils most of my life.(I used to have a lot of tonsillitis/strep throat from age 14-40.I am now almost 49.)My throat is much better than ity used to be BUT I now have what is called "Cryptic Tonsils".Anyway, I have a wicked sore throat now. I normally use echinacea and it helps immensely.(cuts down the severity)If my throat is not better in acouple days,then I go in for a strep test usually.
  3. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

and I think mine is post nasal drip. Does anyone else think that is what it could be?? It seems like I get it often-Kim
  4. yuckie

yuckie New Member

I get them...this is a classic ME/CFS symptom. In fact, one of the first for me and a key to being diagnosed.
  5. Febricula

Febricula New Member

YES! I've had CFS for 7 years and only in the past 6 months did the sore throats start.

If you check my profile there is a recent thread I started about this, and a lot of people chimed in with their experiences and recommendations.

6. hi all,

ive found that my red sore throat is due to nasal drip,falling onto the back of my throat from high up in the nasal passages.

i used to get a rancid taste in my mouth once a month.

this would empty from my nasal passages and go into my mouth.

if i swallowed any,then the next day id develope migraine,stomach spasms and vomiting.id also get a very runny poo.

since i am washing my nasal passages out with, pre boiled water, and adding a pinch of salt to it.i no longer get that rancid taste in my mouth.

i drink and gargle cranberry juice morning and night,and my red sore throat is now gone,,after all those years of suffering.

kind regards

7. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I get post-exertional sore throats, along with the Post-Exertional fatigue. It feels like I am coming down with a flu for about 24 hours and then the sore throat goes away but the fatigue continues until its run its course... sometimes a day, sometimes weeks.

8. victoria

victoria New Member

got this regularly, plus flu symptoms 4th week out
    of every 3 at start of crash in 1990s... what really
    helped me to stop the regularity of them was a
    glandular product with thymulus extract in it along
    with SAMe.

It seemed miraculous as, after only 3 days, I felt
    a 'lift' and a surge of energy. While the sore throats
    and flu did not come back, unfortunately the energy
    didn't remain however.

I am doing the Marshall Protocol (a controversial topic here, but you can do a search on it in the 'Library' up above)
    which kills stealth bacteria and causes a herx, just as abx kills lyme and causes a herx;

(A herxheimer reaction is where symptoms are exacerbated because of toxins due to die-off of bacteria) -

and every time I herx I feel like I have the flu, including
    sore throat, sore flu-y feeling thru my back/arms, and then finally my sinuses run (sinus headaches had increased
    over an 8 yr period, finally occurring less frequently).

My son is being treated for chronic lyme (he was positive
    on IGenex Western Blot 2X according to CDC's 'tracking standards') for past 3 years, andhe often gets a sore
    throat on a herx as well...

I don't think just lyme can cause that, as I know my son
    shows symptoms of other nasty bugs; & I don't even really
    know what all I have...

but from what I've read, I have no doubt many bacteria,
    & viruses, that are 'stealth' pathogens overlap in symptoms.

By 'stealth pathogens', I mean, they know how to hide out
    in the body and evade our immune system along with evading antiviral drugs and abx. It is known many bacteria can invade even our white blood cells and any tissue cells...

And a sore throat is certainly common to many infections
    that are linked to CF/FM.

So... You are not alone...

all the best,

9. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Yes, I get them and don't know if it will turn out to be contagious to other people or if it is a CFS sore throat. A week ago I had one and felt okay for the first few days then wammo. I got a really bad cold that went into my chest and today I am still getting over it. But many times I get the CFS kind where they come and go and I get no other symptoms.

My Dr told me I have a classic sign. It is a red cresent on the back of the throat that is always there. I had never heard of that sign. Does anyone else know about this? It's like a red cresent moon shape on each side of the back of the throat.

10. jaded_lady

jaded_lady New Member

I have had many sore throats thru the years. But for a year, it has been non stop. Sometimes, it will ease up pain wise for a while.

I have 4 impacted wisdom teeth, I didn't have them removed when I was in my twenties.

They are causing me pain now. If I can get them taken out, I want to get an ENT to remove my tonsils.
  11. coolma

coolma New Member

The sore throats appear in FM due to you using up your body's "store" of energy. It is a sign that you have overdone and your body is letting you know. I used to get them all the time. Back to bed, and rest, and they went away. You only have so much in your immune "store" and when you use it up, the sore throats appear. Go to bed and rest and you can control them.
    The did reduce in frequency after a few years.
  12. dovie

dovie New Member

There's an article regarding crimson crescents in the back of the throat you might find interesting. Just google "crimson crescents CFS." When I have a sore throat with flareups, I usually have the crescents.
  13. lesleyjoy

lesleyjoy New Member

I've been reading all the comments on sore throats and I tend to agree. I've just come off 3 (10 day) courses of antibiotics (2 lots for bronchitis and 1 lot for a bad cold that followed). Just 3 days off the antibiotics I find myself sneezing and my throat is sore and scratchy down one side! I've had it in the past where it can swap over from side to side and tiredness can affect this. I'm trying a salt water gargle to see it that helps. One thing that does help is anti-inflammatories, (something like Brufen Retard 8000). I've had CFS for 25+ years and developed sero-negative Sjogrens syndrome (drier mouth, eyes, nasal passages)2 years ago...the joys of autoimmune conditions!!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2008]
  14. Yes I get them. Mine is mainly from sinus dripping in the throat I think and it helps if I take guaifensin to thin it out. If I touch the glands around my neck they feel sore.

BUT it can also be from reflux, food backing up into your throat at night and you not even realizing it. I would ck it out.
  15. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I'm so glad this topic came up as I have always thjought the sore throat was just another symptom of FM. However, my Rheumy doesn't want to discuss it. He just says call him if I also have a high fever, which I never do.

My sore throats automatically come on when I have over used my energy store. It is a signal to go to bed and do nothing. After a day (or rarely two) of complete rest the sore throat goes away as suddenly as it cames on. Over the years I have somewhat gotten used to them, but wish I understood them better.

[This Message was Edited on 08/24/2008]
  16. behooved

behooved New Member

Yup.. this is how my illness started actually. Very swollen feeling sore throat and tonsils that would recur for months, and several courses of penicillin did nothing. The initial infection eventually went away, but the pain and swollen feelings never completely did, especially in my tonsils. I finally got to see an ENT a few months ago and she said I have really bad acid reflux, and thinks that's what's causing chronic these throat symptoms.
  17. lesleyjoy

lesleyjoy New Member

Interesting replies thanks...isn't it weird how these sore throats shift around, one side then the other then across the top!! Mine isn't due to reflux (don't get that any more)but there could be some post-nasal drip going on with clear mucus. Atr present mine doesn't hurt when I swallow, but if I sneeze or clear my throat a certain way then I feel it allright. The salt water gargle is helping
    *2tsp salt
    *1tsp baking soda
    *1pint boiled warm water.

Worth a try,
  18. DelightsDomain

DelightsDomain New Member

I have gotten them where your neck and throat are so sore. I too would wake up w/ it or just feel it come on feel like crap for however long and then poof, it's gone. I havent had one in a while but I certainly know what you're talking about. Probably just another symptom brought on by the wonderful fibro...
  19. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I've had these for many years - I used to think they were connected to smoking, but I quit a year ago and have sore throat several times each month.
  20. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I have a sore throat today and am really drained of energy so I'm taking this as a sign that I really need to rest today.

I had a halfway good day yesterday and then today alot of pain including a sore throat.

This was also one of the first symptoms that I had when all my fibro symptoms started.

Gentle hugs, Susan