Who had success with licorice for low BP?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, May 3, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Ho folks

I've decided to try natural remedies to get my low blood pressure up. I'm already adding extra salt to my diet, but someone here suggested licorice extract.

I'm curious to know who has tried this and what success did you have?

Many thanks!
    Michelle
  2. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi Michelle,
    I've been taking Dr. Baschetti's licorice root powder in soy milk for a couple of years for my neurally mediated hypotension. I have also been following watercure and taking seasalt and water throughout the day and now my blood pressure is normal and healthy.

Love, Jasmine
  3. ulala

ulala New Member

that you have been having success with the licorice powder. I have been thinking about ordering it. I bought some licorice capsules but didn't notice that they helped.

Does the licorice powder only help with your blood pressure or does it help any other symptoms? I think it is suggested to also take cortisol with the licorice.

I'm allergic to milk and don't want to drink soy milk so I would have to find something else to mix it with.

Thanks!
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

5. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Thanks for your replies folks.

I've started taking licorice - for about 5 days now. I havent noticed anything yet. I've also upped my salt intake so I'm hoping this will get my blood pressure up without the need to take the Florinef.

Thanks
    Michelle
  6. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

their diet
  7. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I tend to have high bp. I started on some adrenal extracts several months ago which contained licorice. My bp has gone sky high and I have had to stop the extracts. Anyhow.......

according to my experience and my doc's comments, it could take a month or so before you notice an improvement. Start off slow with the licorice because the effect is cumulative and when you reach your desired bp level you can cut back and the effect may remain for several months.

I have been off the extract for about 5 weeks now and my bp is still high.

Also, ensure that your salt is 'pure' i.e., use sea salt not ordinary table salt which has bad things in it like allinimium (sp?). Celtic sea salt is really good.
  8. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I've noticed Dr. Baschetti's licorice powder improving my blood pressure only and I haven't noticed any other benefits personally. The celtic sea salt and lots of water made a big difference in improving my low blood pressure and my energy levels. I'm allergic to milk so I take my licorice powder in soy milk first thing in the morning. I don't like soy milk either but I really have no choice.

Love, Jasmine
    [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2006]
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

The best bet is salty licorice, you can get this from Scandinavian food stores, licorice never did much for my BP, but Salmiak does. It contains a unique salty flavor by itself.

Salmiak could only be bought at pharmacies in the old days, it was accually a medecine back then, but tasted so darn good they started to mix it with licorice! LOL!

Some good'ol pharmacies bac home still sell it, more for fun, and usually it is homemade candy fanatics who buy it.

Anywho, just my two cents, or one.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2006]
  10. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

helped me the most with NMH ? Eating some salty foods ( olives and dill pickles are great ) daily AND supplementing these minerals : Potassium, calcium, and magnesium, which all of our cells need. This helps keep electrolytes balanced .

If I stop taking them , I REALLY feel the lethargy and lightheadedness . I read that this could help , and for me it REALLY does - even more than the adrenal supplements .
  11. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Still going on the licorice and salt. I have a doctors appointment in 2 weeks so I will be interested to see if my BP is up.

Take care
    Michelle