Who has been tested for their adrenals?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ETN, Mar 8, 2007.

1. ETN

ETN New Member

I saw a new dr yesterday.
    It was actually a therapist that everyone (all my dr's) have been suggesting that I go and see and talk to someone.
    I really liked her. Basically it was just for her to get a little background on me so it was just a meet and greet but I will be seeing her next week.
    anyway she and I had talked on the phone when I made the appt. last week. She said she'd been thinking of me and thought maybe there was something going on with my adrenals.
    I think the only thing that was ever tested was my DHEA and that was very low.
    Anyway just curious as to anyone who has and what you are doing about it.
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I don't want you to languish here, so I'm bumping you up.

But I have had my adrenals tested by an ASI (Adrenal Stress Index?) saliva test. It is taken at four times during the same day and will chart your cortisol levels. Adding to this, the DHEA is tested as well.

The way it was explained to me, your cortisol can get 'stuck' on high output...this depletes the DHEA (which the body requires to make cortisol)...and then this DHEA depletion leads to cortisol decline and then very little output. An ASI, to someone who knows what to look for, would tell where you are in the stress cycle, and hopefully lead to an appropriate treatment.

At one time or another (including now), I've been on cortisol supplementation, DHEA supplementation, adrenal support and other various treatments.

When I took my first ASI, I had read a description of the stress index, and the results completely fit where I thought I'd be.
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

What kind of DR do you see to have this done?
  4. jmq

jmq New Member

Hi,

I am fairly new to the board and have been dx with FMS for about two years so I am still with just traditional medications...tramadol, cymbalta, and Ambien CR. How and where do you go to get the other tests for adrenals...magnesium..all that stuff? My Gp tells me she ran everything via blood test and it shows nothing out of wack but I do not know if it tests all the areas many people are talking about. Any suggestions?
    jmq
  5. ETN

ETN New Member

6. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I am having cortisol labs next week.
    I have to have blood drawn 2 x in the same day. Early a.m. and late p.m.
    I have had fms/myof pain.synd. for 10yrs.
    I have learned what to ask for as far as tests go from this board..THANK YOU!!!
    I asked my prim.md yesterday for cortisol tests, she set them up.
    thx all again..
  7. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I have had my adrenals tested by an endocrinologist. Everything came back normal. As did all of the hundreds of dollars worth of testing over the last four years. I spent a lot of money trying to find out what was wrong. I was diagnosed with FM/CFS in January of this year.

Bye! Deb
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

When your DHEA was very low, were you put on DHEA supplement?

The one-time blood tests that most endocrinologists use are not very helpful for cortisol or DHEA. The twice a day blood draws that ginner is getting is better, but it requires that you go somewhere to get your blood drawn twice in one day. The saliva tests lets you take four samples during the day at home. I read somewhere that the blood tests were particularly unreliable for women of middle age or past.

I had the saliva test last year. I was low on cortisol, but O.K. on DHEA. I am supposed to order some supplements from the company that did the testing, but have not gotten to it yet. (My doctor was slow getting the results to me, I have been treating some other things, etc.)
  9. ETN

ETN New Member

I don't see that it helped at all. My fibro dr ordered a blood test.

So thanks for the replies I will have to call around to see who will test me!
  10. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

to get the right test done!

Also when Drs say "oh yeah - not a thing wrong with you - your labs are fine..." the think that because your numbers are in the "range" of numbers... doesnt mean that you couldnt be on the LOW end of the spectrum. Say for example ( I will try to give you an example here -fake numbers here) the "range" ( 42) to (107) - Dr says your FINE because YOUR at (43). Well it doesnt take a genius to think well maybe I MIGHT feel better if I was at the higher end of the scale. Say number was (105) Hmmmm. BUT, they look at the paper and everythings IN RANGE. Isnt that awful? Some docs will say gee it wouldnt hurt to see if you DO feel better in the higher range- theres nothing that says that that would be a "BAD" thing.

Anyway- someone here might do a better job of explaining but you prob get the idea. I think whats even more important is to find the right Dr. to interpret the results and who is not satisfied with that way of thinking etc. etc. Theya re out there and good luck to you !

My addrenals were exhausted, I took a pee pee test for (I think it was 24 hours)cortisol levels and again those were low too.