who has fibro hyper smell, hearing sight?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pink4, Aug 12, 2008.

1. pink4

pink4 New Member

I haven't read anything about fibros having sensitive smell, hearing, and sight. I've had so much trouble with this that my poor husband has to go outside to cook on his grill. the curtains have to be closed and the TV turned low. This symptom is driving my whole family crazy. the girls can't wear body spray and my grandsons can't yell. This fibro is so bad. When I was on vicodin for shingles,I had numbed senses and what a relief! Now Ultracet won,t get it.
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I can smell stuff a mile away and long before everyone else does. Hubby and I were at a concert last year and the venue had a 'No Alcohol' policy. Right before the show started, I turned to my hubby and said, "I smell Jack Daniels" to which he replied, "You're crazy!" Sure enough, moments before the show started, two rows ahead and a few seats to the right of us, security confiscated a large bottle of Jack Daniels from someone! My hubby could not believe it!! Also, when I am flaring especially, I become hyper-sensitive to bright light and noises--often leaving crowded places such as department stores because I find all the stimulation there too overwhelming. It doesn't always happen, but the likelihood of it happenng is much greater when I flare. You most definitely are not alone on this one!!

Peace--Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 08/12/2008]
  3. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

I am extremely sun sensitive, my hearing is good, and smells drive me nuts.

I seem to also be more sensitive when I am flaring.

T
  4. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I am super sensitive to smells. Musk will give me a headache within a short time. I can smell things that others can't. When I get a bad headache/migraine, the light will bother me and I have to cover my eyes. You are not alone and not nuts either.
    Katie!
  5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i hate smells and i have hyperacusis hearing also i just bought hunter douglas blinds to keep out some of the noise from outside they do help hugs charlene
  6. munch1958

munch1958 Member

They just won't stop singing for a mate. It's driving me batty so I left my DH a note to please go on a cricket hunt in our basement. As far as I know, hypersensitive hearing is a very common Lyme symptom. Many with Lyme report this symptom.
  7. Kittyweird

Kittyweird New Member

Since Fibro is a disorder of the central nervous system smell, hearing & sight are affected. I have to wear sunglasses in the grocery store. If my husband eats garlic or onions, I have to sleep in a separate room. My opthmologisy says that I am as close to having glaucoma as a person can get without actually having it, as there is a pressure in the back of my eyes & I occasionally get blurred eyes.
    From what I have read about Fibro these symptoms are common.
    Pro Health, which sponsors this board offers many supplements which help these issues.
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm afraid so - noise, light, smell. I have to wear sunglasses when I go out even though it is dull, dark and wet. People look at me like I'm mad or pretentious.

My smell sense was never very good but it is ultra high now.

Rosie
  9. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

I didn't used to be that sensitive before this DD, but now I can't stand a lot of things that didn't bother me before: scented candles, detergent aisle at the grocery store, "new furniture" smells, noise, crowds, fluorescent lights, etc etc. Sometimes I have to wear two pairs of sunglasses (the normal ones and the big ones designed to fit over regular glasses) when I drive. Feels like my nervous system is on "hyper alert" all the time.

My aunt hangs one of those air freshener thingy's from the rear view mirror in her car, and I can't ride with her without taking it down and putting it in the glove compartment. Peeewwwww.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2008]
  10. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

I'm very sensitive to all environmental conditions/stimuli.
    Sometimes this is good for me but I can be easily overwhelmed.
  11. lmn

lmn New Member

especially my hearing. i can hear people munching popcorn in the movies even if i'm in the first row and they're in the back. also can hear someone popping gum across the store! lol, sounds silly, but it drives me crazy!!
  12. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

I don't have it as acutely as some sufferers, but when I'm flaring, everybody just needs to shut the hell up. Sounds are so loud when I'm flaring.

If somebody taps a pencil on a table, you have to scrape me off the ceiling.

Love and hugs.

jules
  13. julest

julest New Member

that is multiple chemical sensitivity -
  14. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have the problem with hyper smell. My hubby & brother dips tobacco and if I am still eating they have to go in another room to take a dip or it seems like I am eating the tobacco. Well anything I don't care for (to eat) it bothers me to smell them. Weird!

crispangel
  15. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

Well, studies showed a while back that FM effects the central nervous system--it makes it hyperactive, or something. Since the nervous system controls all of these things--there's one branch of it in particular that I learned about in psychology that has to do with the senses--if it's hyperactive, you're extra-sensitive to sight, sound, smell, touch, whatever.

That's probably why they're turning to things like Xyrem for FM--it's a central nervous system depressant. Sleep meds, narcotics (such as vicodin), benzos, barbituates, and alcohol are all CNS depressants, and therefore can help numb pain (though I'd seriously recommend NOT turning to alcohol, as it usually doesn't work well with fm ;]).

Honestly, I've never liked narcotics (I have really bad reactions to them), and OTC pain relievers do absolutely nothing for me, aside from screwing up my GERD. I have this same problem, though. My hearing is WAY too sensitive.

I was put on Serax (a benzo) a while back for anxiety, and oddly enough, while I'm on it I'm not quite as affected by sights, sounds, or smells, though I can't say it's helped any with the pain.

Hopefully some day they'll come out with something targeted towards FM that really works for the complexity of the disease (something that'll help the hyperactive CNS AND fatigue and the myriad of bizarre symptoms we get--without awful side effects). Until then, I guess we just have to mix and match.
  16. kmkon

kmkon New Member

My family doesn't understand why I insist on no perfume in our house. Also, the kids making noise even while just having fun drives me crazy. If people are around me wearing any type of perfume, it gives me an instant headache.