Who has fibro pain in their back more than other places?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Sep 1, 2008.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Every morning when I get up I have pain in my back. It is different places. Sometimes it is on both sides of my spine and sometimes it is just in my lower back. Of course I have pain other places too, but I wondered who has pain in their back a lot.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2008]
  2. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I have lower back pain every morning and most of the day but blame it on my bed. I have a sleep number bed with a pillow top and have it set real low for my hip and shoulder pain. The problem is that when I end up on my stomach my back is turned inward. Never thought of the pain coming from FM but who knows.

We could have a slipped disk also. Probably need an x-ray. Oh boy another test.

Feel better,

3. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

Some mornings I don't even know how I am going to get out of bed. I have arthritis and a mild buldge in a lower disc. I sleep on my side with a pillow between the knees. I can't even sit on the floor to play with my son. If I do I feel like I am going to die. Also if I stand on a hard floor (ie: kitchen) for longer then 10 minutes, my pain will jump from a 3 to an 8. Jenn
  4. celeste1226

celeste1226 New Member

I live with back pain. I have degenerative disc disease. So my back is constantly hurting. If I sit to long or stand to long. my bed is very comfortable but every morning my hips hurt as soon as i get up and start to move around my back starts up.
  5. Yes the back is the worst pain. The lumbar and tailbone area. I even had spinal fusion and it made it way worse.There is nothing like constant back pain.
  6. Leanna44

Leanna44 New Member

I have severe lower back pain that is really unexplained. They say that I have DDD but that it is not severe enough to cause the level of pain that I am experiencing.

I have had 3 steriod shot at present and the last one worked so that leads me to believe that it is not my FM but I am not a doctor so who knows.

Back pain is disabling within itself as I cannot do much of anything without it hurting.

Sending gentle hugs to you!

7. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

had it for years it seems like anyway. Mine is lower back and tailbone and hips. They all hurt pretty much everyday. and mostly all day long. Iused to think it was because I have scoliosis but when the pain started moving up my spine to my ribs collar bone and shoulders I went to the dr and was diagnosed with FM.

8. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

alot of my pain radiates from my lower back, causing it to go all up my back.

i'm not sure if it's my muscles causing the bones to go out, or the bones out, causing the muscles to to tense up?

i was told it was sacroiliac disease.(?)

i've had an MRI of my head and neck and mild degeneration was noted.

never had any imaging done with the rest of my back, so my doctor is checking into that.

she said if i had degeneration in my neck, i more than likely have it all down my spine.

so, recently had an xray done (insurance won't do an MRI til an xray is done first), so next is an MRI.

i've never had so much back trouble til this DD.

it is something awful, i do know that.

i wish us all some relief.<3
  9. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I have pain from my neck down to my tail bone and in both hips.Nothing has helped except my chiropractor.Even though I go 2 times a week,he has helped my pain from a 9 to a 5 for the most part.I also see a physical therapist iin his office.
    I've had injections,pain killers,muscle relaxers-none of this has helped

I know chiro's aren't for everyone.When I first started seeing him,I saw him every day.Now I go 2 times a week.He says my pain level should be better but with all the damage I have I;m grateful to be at a 5 most days.He works me in if I need to be adjusted more often.

It took me a few Chiro's before I found the right one.Many have made my pain worse.Read my profile about my back problems. Robin
  10. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

My back pain is the worst of my problems, and that's what I take my pain meds for. If you do some gentle stretching before you get out of bed it may help. Also, I just got the Back2life machine, and it has helped a lot.

I have been on pain meds for my back for 30 years. Also, got a Tempurpedic mattress and it helped a lot too.

Good luck.

M J
  11. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

Your pain is my pain. I couldn't believe all of the responses to this that seemed to echo everthing I experience. Have been told by rhuemy that I have DDD but I'm not completely sure that's what it is. Am experiencing excruciating feet pain as well. Went to podiatrist and he couldn't detect OA which rhuemy said I had in my hands as well. I have way more joint pain than muscle pain but back is bad all the time. It has now gone into my shoulders, neck and my feet are killing me and I don't know what to do anymore.
  12. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Back pain has been my worst problem! Most of the time it is my lower back, but sometimes my neck and shoulders too. I have scoliosis too. But the past few months my pain has begun moving down into my hips and thighs. Is it normal for the pain of Fibromyalgia to move from one main area to another? It also scares me that I may have arthritis in my hips. I do have arthritis in my feet and hands. I've already had to have surgery on one foot because of damage from arthritis. My Rheumatologist doesn't ever do xrays. He just thinks my pain is all Fibromyagia. It is so frustrating! Any suggestions?
  13. munch1958

munch1958 Member

It turned out to be 7 fractured vertebrae due to osteoporosis. My doctors suspect it's from lack of growth hormone due to chronic infection with Lyme.

Have you had a bone density scan? Do you know your T-score? Have you had any testing for hormones done? Have you had an MRI? Most endocrinologists work with bone density and will order the tests. This is very important for those of us with this crud.
  14. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

What kind of doctor is an endocrinologist? I have had my bone scan done a few times. But, I'm due to do it again probably. I have osteopenia. It's not bad (or at least it wasn't). I just keep taking my calcium. And I have a urologist that checks my hormones frequently. What is a T-score? Is that the test result from a bone density test?
  15. charlenef

charlenef New Member

my back pain is the worst sitting for more than 5 min is torcher this is the main reason i have no life im in bed 90% of the time due to my back hugs charlene
  16. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

we have one of these already. My husband loves gadgets so he bought one but didn't use it very long. It cost an arm and a leg so maybe I will haul it out and give it a try. Can't hurt.
  17. pamelakc

pamelakc New Member

I have alot of back pain but I also have bad shoulder pain. I have herniated discs and ddd. Also I have alot of arthritis in my back, shoulder, knees, wrists, elbows and hands. I also have problems with neuropathy in my hands and feet because of diabetes. Restless leg syndrome. Also sciatic nerve problems and fibro.
  18. IanH

IanH Active Member

The stiffness in muscles and tendons will lead to back degeneration. The incidence of such spinal problems in people with FM is very high. It could be thought of as a possible cause of FM but I do think it is the other way around. Over time the symptoms and biochemistry of Fm will lead to disc degeneration but it is easy to put it down to bad posture or occupational injury, however I know of many people where these "causes" are very unlikely.
  19. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have suffered with terrible low back pain on and off since I was 13 years old. It has never been explained really well. At first, the doctors just said it was "pulled muscles" and to rest and take ibuprofen. That never helped. And I never "did anything" to make it start hurting. It would just go from fine to excruciating pain out of the blue. I would have episodes that would come and go, sometimes mild, and sometimes making me bedridden for weeks or months.

Finally, about 7 years ago, I had an episode so bad that I thought the pain would kill me. I was taking Lortab and muscle relaxers, and that wasn't even phasing it. I had 2 young children, and couldn't function. No one could figure it out, until several x-rays, CT scans, MRIs, etc. later, they finally did a bone scan with radioactive contrast that showed bilateral sacral insufficiency fractures. This is SO rare in a young person and almost UNHEARD of in someone who does not have osteoporosis. They did a DEXA scan on me, and my bone density is completely normal. My docs never could explain why it happened to me. It took me almost a year to completely heal.

During that time, the pain started "traveling" up my spine, and also, in addition to the deep, throbbing, low back pain I started having burning nerve pain, and muscles so tight and sore they would crack and creak every time I moved. This could not be explained by the fractures, so the docs were stumped again, until I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia as well at that time. It seems the fracture pain triggered the fibro.

i've had a pretty good run the last few years, but just this past week, I think I overdid it on my walking routine and my sacroiliac region is in agony again, and I suspect I may have another fracture. Not surprisingly, my FM has flared as well. I guess I will just have to ride it out and take my pain meds, as there is absolutely nothing you can do for this type of injury.

I suspect that any pain or other deformities or injuries that we have are magnified by having FM. That is why so many of us may have mild degenerative changes that don't explain why we are experiencing so much pain. It is from the central nervous system and its perception of our pain.
  20. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

are my evil triplet siblings! I have two crushed discs in my neck and L-1 to L-5 is herniated, bulging, blown out, degenerative and has bone spurs. I have a Sleep Number bed with a 5" memory foam pad on top. I might as well sleep on the pavement. I have literally gone outside (I live in Alaska) and lay down in the snow, because it hurt so much. And it's hard to figure out "Okay, is this my spine or is it my fibro, or are both just being their nasty selves?" Some days you feel like a kid with a pinata at a birthday party. You're swinging a stick at something you can't see! Ah, well, humor and a positive attitude gets me through MOST days. Those are my best "weapons"!

Soft hugs,