Who has had a "remission" and then a relapse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, May 23, 2008.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I had FM for 2 years and I have been basically symptom free for about a year and had actually thought I was "cured" and now I think it might be back. Anyone have this experience, feeling basically okay for a long period of time, thinking it was gone for good, and then gotten worse?
  2. momof27

momof27 New Member

3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I had a remission that lasted about 1 year and then I had a terrible relapse caused by exercise and excessive stress.

Terrible combination as the relapse was worse than my initial illness.

4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I am almost sure that it is back, I just don't want to admit it. I am heartsick to think about it really.
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

Right now I am in a remission, has lasted two years so far. I always have some level of pain. I have never been completely pain free. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to relapse. I cut my schedule to the bone when that happens. I make sure I get my rest and I stay away from toxic people (believe me I have got plenty of those in my life). I hope I never go through another relapse. I have got FM and Crohn's on top of it; last time I was hospitalized 5 days. I had to learn to put me first and say no to a lot of people and demands on my time. It is hard to admit you can't do what you used to. That was the hardest for me. I was the Energizer Bunny. Not any more. But that's okay. My life is good the way it is and I have adjusted.

6. Catseye

Catseye Member

I'd like to know if anyone who experienced a remission had changed their diet and if they went back to old eating habits when they felt better.

7. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I have had a few remissions both times I was with child. Smaller remissions lasting a few months. My relapses are more extreme the older I get more fatigue, more pain and more brain fog.

I never took any meds from age 16 to 48. I've had this DD my whole life.
    No diet changes, no supplements for the first 32 years. All I was ever told back then was that I was lazy, not very athletic and that it was all in my head ect..[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2008]
  8. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

I bet we ALL have had remission, however long or short, and then relapsed.
    As nearly as I can remember I have had two occasions when I didn't feel like months' old roadkill.
    One thing the remish/relapse thing has taught me is to NEVER make plans for the next day's doings because a relapse can collapse us when we were asleep and couldn't defend ourselves --- as if any defense against relapse were possible.
    Yes the remission/feel and act and are worse off rotten thing happens. If it didn't we'd think we were still remissioning and no, that's not a good thing.

I believe I've had this monster living in me too long (decades) to have anything do any good as far as just helping me to feel better, much less kill the summitch off for good.
    The reason I say that is in the two Cures I've heard of, the first person noticed right away something was wrong and she had a decent dr who understands this disease. The other I can only chalk up to divine intervention.

Two out of hundreds of thousands doesn't make me really hopeful, sorry.

9. 4DJ

4DJ New Member

I have had FM for 10 yrs. I had a remission for a yr as well. I believe it happened by taking about 700 to 800 mg of magnesium a day. Unfortunately it came back as well for me. A friend of mine believed she controls hers with mag. My stomach has been very bad and I have a hard timee taking suppliments now so its hard to do these days and I havent been able to put FM back where it belongs. God Bless 4DJ
  10. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

I've had a few "remissions" from fibro; the longest one lasted close to six months. I believe the remissions start in the summer and end when I get bronchitis or some other illness in the fall/winter. I think I had one that started in the summer and ended in August. I don't have my journals here (I'm staying at my mom's house for awhile), so I don't know for sure.

Each day of those remissions was like a gift. The fatigue never really went away, but the pain improved dramatically. Each time, I believed I was cured, but I was wrong. I'm thankful that I've experienced those times without pain, because I believe that they will happen again. I am also thankful for those respites when I can feel almost normal again.

When the remissions ended, it was a crash - it wasn't gradual - I just crashed and felt like I did in the first days of this illness. It is very discouraging to come out of a remission.

I hope you feel better soon.

11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but not for a few years - used to get at least a few months off but not now.

12. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

i've never had a remission, not even a short one. Am I the only one????
  13. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

That is the way I feel, too, like I crashed and wound up right back where I was when I got better, but maybe I just was not paying attention because I was having some symptoms around my period all along. A friend gave me some information on a raw food diet, so I am thinking that over.

Thanks and God Bless,
  14. Tawra

Tawra New Member

We (my mom, brother and I) all got sick in 1988. I thought I was healed in 1989-1990. Then I went to Sweden to be an exchange student and got sick again and have been sick ever since.

15. deliarose

deliarose New Member

You are not alone. I never had a remission. It was just one long spiral downward punctuated by a period of about 8 months in bed which allowed me to improve somewhat.. but it wasn't long enof.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

I am recovering now,.. and I've decided that one of my mottos is "Sometimes in life, you just have to know when to lay down" or sthg to that effect but more punchy.