WHO has had ALLERGY SHOTS during their life time

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Sep 26, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I had lots and lots of allergy shots and sometime when I have these swelling lumps on me it reminds me of when I use to get allergy shots.
    I remember years ago one swelling up like a golf ball and I also use to be exhausted and need to sleep after Id get them.
    I was just wondering Who has also had Allergy shot??????
    Think it could be a connection?
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've never had allergy shots, but my younger brother had a whole bunch of them (plus a series of rabies shots after being bitten by a cat) when he was a child.

He came down with CFS when he was 15 and has been disabled since.

It's an interesting thought that there might be a connection.
  3. LaurieEm

LaurieEm New Member

Hi -

I'm almost at 21 years since I got sick. I got sick, at 10:00 in the morning on September 30, 1985. It was approximately four weeks after I began allergy shots. Unless I learn otherwise, I will rue that decision until the day I die. All I had wanted was to improve my hay-fever so my husband and I could camp out overnight in a tent, instead of closed up in the jeep cherokee.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

before. I had shots for years when I was in my 20s. CFS symptoms started when I was 39. Was disabled in 5 years.
  5. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I have had them for around 30 years give or take. I never reacted like that so I am not sure.

Nancy
  6. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

It wasn't until I started the allergy desensitization shots that my body went completely haywire.

October 2004 I started the shots, and as the dosage increased, the big red swollen injection site wasn't going away from one week to the next.

Next, I started having to get them on a thursday and take fridays & saturdays off of work because I was so drained of energy.

Finally, within the last 3 weeks that I had the shots, I was taken into the hospital a total of 11 times - 3 of them being for anaphylactic response.

It was after the first time I went into anaphylactic shock in (December 2004) that I got all of these horrid aches and pains and everything else that has been dx FM, and they haven't gone away since.

Connection? I don't doubt it.

~Amanda
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2006]
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

Funny, my FMS started about 3-4 weeks after I started allergy shots.

I had asked my allergists if there was any connection, and he said "absolutely not". I still couldn't help but wonder about the connection. I would get EXTREMELY tired after the shots

My dentist, who is very knowledgeable about things and smart has severe allergies, and he REFUSES to get allergy shots. He said the concept just doesn't make sense to him, inject into your body what you are allergic too.

My PCP wants me to start allergy shots again, but I won't do it
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

One thing that I did have was a vaccination for Hepatitis B. This was in 1994, about a year before I "got sick."

9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

10. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

Hi Carebelle,

I've been receiving allergy shots for about 5 years now. I started them about 6 months after my fibro/cfs went full blown. Dr thinks maybe the fibro may have caused my allergies to get so bad thatI needed the shots as I only had hay fever before. Now I'm allergic to most everything indoors and especially outdoors. Dr told me grass is like radioactive to me now.

I now have severe asthma, chronic bronchitis and am short of breath most of the time. All due to the allergies. I can really tell the difference when I slack off or to sick to get them. I acutally do better when I'm getting them allergy wise.

I do have to say that when I get the shots I can feel the pain gradually increasing and am down for the count for a couple of days. I get the shots once every two weeks.

The weirdest part is when I get the shot I can acutally feel the ache spreading from the injection site to all points in my body. I told the allergy doc about it once and he just looked at me as if I was nuts so I shut-up.

Acutally except for him this is the first I've talked about it again. One of those things I guess we all do, keep quiet about some of our symptoms because of the "crazy" stigma.

Well here I am again, writing a book. One of the reasons I don't post much, I talk to much!

Hope this bit of info helps.
    Take care, Twinks
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

You dont talk to much at all read some of mine LOL they get long.

If I was you I'd get a second opinion about those shots.Usually if you get them you get better instead of worse .They may be making you sick. It never hurts to get a second opinion.

The more we all talk about these things we help each other.
    and maybe we will find clues to these DD's
  12. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

last spring's allergy season was so darn awful (like having flu for 6-8 weeks) that I went to the allergy doc.

He refuses to give me the shots because he says I am too sensitive!

Go figure.
  13. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i had them for years when i was a kid. also was on antibiotics alot as a kid due to frequent bronchitis. then was on antibiotics alot in mid 20's for acne. who knows if any of these are a cause of my CFS???
  14. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I had allergy shots for a years in my twenties. I was told I was allergic to mold, pollen, corn, alcohol, animal danders. They helped my symptoms of post nasal drip and coughing but I would never get them again. I think it may have something to do with my problems today as I am still vey sensitive to any type of moldy foods and moldy environments.
    Take care, Theresa
  15. pookeysmom

pookeysmom New Member

I did have some muscle pain prior to having allergy problems and years of sinus infections, antibiotics, steriods and allergy shots.

Now years later the pain has gotten much worse. Fatigue and non-restorative sleep started a few years ago. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with FM, RA and AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis).

I have been wondering about the possible effects of the allergy injections, I guess it is not just me.

Does anyone know if there have been any studies to prove the connection?
  16. day2day

day2day Member

I had them for about 3 years before the cfs, I also had a reaction to my allergy shots so I stopped them.

I had CFS from a long progression of pneumonia/ plurosy/ then mono. Since that time my immune system has been shot. I now get reoccuring shingles over and over again along with my flairs.

Allergies, are caused by a hyper-alert immune system. Could there be a connection? It's a thought.