Who has had success using GET for CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, May 3, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi folks

My doctor has told me I need to start incorporating small blocks of "activity" into my day, and slowly increase these over time to improve my stamina.

Since relapsing a few months ago, my body has become extremely intolerant to "too much" activity. I can only stand or walk slowly for 5 - 8 minutes without having to sit and rest.

I'm nervous about using graded exercise therapy as I have heard so many horror stories.

Please, I would love to hear from people who have managed to use this effectively - how did you do it, and what were the effects on your life?

I'm desperate to try and improve my quality of life right now, but I also dont want to make things worse.

Thanks all
    Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 05/03/2006]
  2. srh

srh New Member

I've been going to a self help & awareness class for FM & arthritis.

They tell us also to get moving. But you have to work at it at your own pace. So if that's all you can do right now, that's enough. You're just supposed to add or lengthen your time or activity if you can.

It does help me when I walk. I've been doing rotten and haven't been walking like I use to. But I know on the days I make myself it helps. Also stretching helps.

Now if I could just get the clouds, angels, or whatever in my head to get the pain to lessen up!!! It does help me, but it's hard to do.

Lots of luck. Hugs....
  3. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

sorry I've been slow to reply, I've been flattened for the last 5 days or so.

I cant do anything right now, not even my 5 min walk.

sometimes I just want to scream at the injustice of it.

Take care
    Michelle
  4. FM58

FM58 New Member

Michelle,

I have both FM & CFIDS, so the post exertional malaise is what "gets" me after any form of exercise. My FM doc sent me to warm pool therapy- I started very gradually & worked my way & time up. I really enjoyed the pool & felt better for a few hours- but was exhausted by that evening & for days afterward!

Now I am trying a very gentle form of yoga - I alternate w/ an exercise ball. I work very, very slowly. I make sure I do not overdo. I make sure I take breaks. The yoga positions I do are from a book, I modify them to what I can do, while listening to pleasant yoga type music.

My fatigue levels still vary from day to day. I still nap regularly. Of course if I overdo, it will affect me for days. April was a busy month - in addition to Easter, I had to attend a wedding,a Christening,a 50th b-day and a school function. So it was a v-e-r-y draining month!!! I slept alot!

I can totally relate to where you are now. I have been in that place many times! At this point, what you need to do, is continue rehabbing, by just doing daily living skills! Gee Whiz, standing and walking right now, sitting & having a conversation w/ another person are some of the things you need to do right now!

I don't think you need to concentrate on "traditional" exercise at this point. You are too exhausted to be able to tolerate anything like that. Right now, just walk around your house, try walking outside, making sure you have a chair nearby to rest in. Gradually increase your daily living skills (laundry, anything else you think you might be able to handle). Try to walk the same distance for 3 days in a row before you increase the distance. You might even want to get a pedometer to keep track of your steps. (You can find a cheap one at Walmart)

Do not push yourself too hard, make sure you can comfortably handle walking for about 20-30 minutes, then start adding in some other exercises. Consider yoga as an option also.

Best of luck to you Michelle. Hope you will recover some energy soon!

Hugs,
    Patty
    [This Message was Edited on 05/08/2006]
  5. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

There is a BIG difference between Fibro and CFS here.
    With Fibro it is supposed to be very helpful if used with lots of care and listening to your body where in CFS it can be very harmful. Read Cheneys view on this.
    Listen to your body; if it is telling you it can't tolerate excersise yet then it can't. I stretch and bounce very very gently on a rebounder for just 10 or 15 bounces letting my weight do most of the work. I also do a bit of laundry or sweeping or whatever I can but if I feel even a little weakness in my legs or I have raised my pulse at all I lay down for at least a half hour maybe more. If my cumulative excersise is more than usual I quit for the day even if I still feel OK.
    William Collinges book is useful for learning how to 'pace' which is IMVHO one of the most essential things necessary for healing.

Gretchen
  6. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Good advice - thanks everyone.

I think I was putting too much pressure on myself to maintain / increase my activity levels, and I've been feeling so sick because of it.

I will do as suggested, and just focus on normal daily activities for now.

Take care
    Michelle