Who has had success with the RAST food allergy test?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Jan 3, 2007.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

There are 2-3 current posts on food allergies/intolerances. Today, I just had a RAST performed, because it appears that everything except plain food (fruits--except citrus fruits; vegetables; and meat) cause some kind of reaction in me such as painful gas or fatigue.

Has anyone been successfully diagnosed with the RAST food allergy test-------------the test where they do about 96 panels--------testing for a whole bunch of allergens in food and the environment?

I hope my insurance will pay for it. Both the doctor, an Osteopath and Family Practice doctor, and the lab I used, is in the network. At this point, I'll just duke it out in the appeals process with my insurance company if they send me a bill. I just want to know what I should avoid in my diet.
  2. SweetT

SweetT New Member

can anyone provide info on the RAST food and environmental allergy test?
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I did it about 10 years ago. It was pretty accurate, although I found a few things that really bother me that the test didn't, and a few of the things on the test seemed not to make a big deal for me.

I'm having it re-done in a couple of days.

I think mine tested for more than 96 foods though. I ended up with about 30 sensitivities, but that was by no means 1/3 of all the foods listed.

I recall getting good insurance reimbursement for it, but my plan tends to be very good about all lab tests.
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

back in 1997. The list was rather accurate. I did feel better when I eliminated everything on the list. As I introduced the foods, I had different reactions with several of them. Eggs gave me arthritis in the wrists and brain fog. Dairy clogged up my sinuses.

I had so many allergens, that the consultant said I had "leaky gut" syndrome. Since I've killed off my Candida yeast with Three-Lac, I've tested the allergic foods from time to time and the symptoms are much less. William Crook M.D. "The Yeast Connection", says that the yeast can poke holes in the villi and allow undigested to foods to be absorbed.