WHO HAS LONG TERM CARE POLICY?? I'M THINKING OF USING MINE...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wen, Oct 26, 2002.

1. wen

wen New Member

DOES ANYBODY HAVE LONG TERM CARE? I DO, SHOULD I TRY TO USE IT???? I CAN'T WORK EVENTHOUGH DENIEL IS A GOOD PLACE TO BE.I WANT TO. MY HUSBAND IS SORT OF IN DENIEL THAT IM DISABLED. HE'S HAVING TO HELP ME MORE AND MORE. ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW????????

WENDY M
  2. wen

wen New Member

DOES ANYBODY HAVE LONG TERM CARE? I DO, SHOULD I TRY TO USE IT???? I CAN'T WORK EVENTHOUGH DENIEL IS A GOOD PLACE TO BE.I WANT TO. MY HUSBAND IS SORT OF IN DENIEL THAT IM DISABLED. HE'S HAVING TO HELP ME MORE AND MORE. ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW????????

WENDY M
  3. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I don't have a long-term care policy myself (nobody would sell one to a person who has multiple sclerosis), but I work a lot in the disability field and am familiar with a lot of issues involved in long-term care and long-term care insurance policies. Your message isn't clear about whether you have a long-term care policy or, if you do, whether it covers only (or primarily) just nursing home care (as older policies used to do) or whether you get equal coverage for home- and community-based services.

*If you qualify* for long-term care services under your policy (usually that means you are unable to perform at least two or three "activities of daily living"--things like feeding yourself, dressing, bathing, toileting, etc--by yourself), I strongly recommend trying the home- and community-based services. If you get this help, it might take some of the pressure off your husband and/or other family members.

But you do have to be pretty disabled to qualify for the long-term care services. If you have an LTC policy, I suggest that you review it to see just what is and isn't covered.

As far as your husband's being in denial is concerned, I think that's a whole different issue that also needs to be addressed separately. Are there any family support groups for fibro patients in your area?

--Laura R.M.