Who has problems with their balance?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twitcher, Mar 5, 2007.

1. twitcher

twitcher New Member

I get this intermittently. It feels like I'm on a boat or falling to the side when I walk. I'm not really falling. It just feels like it. It's very disturbing and scary...
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

I do...goes along with my head feeling "dizzy" all the time.

Just got back from my ENT. They ran a thorough hearing test on me to include some sort of muscle contraction test. It showed that I am extremely sensitve to loud noises.

My ENT said that there's a good chance I have Meniere's disease, which can cause this sensitivity. Apparently, Meniere's disease is basically too much salt in the inner ear. It can cause dizziness, hearing problems, ringing in the ears (all of which I have).

He's putting me on a diruetic. Problem is, that can cause my blood pressure to drop, and I already have low blood pressure (90/70). I'll have to watch the BP closely...may not be able to take the meds.

I've been using a cane for the last month or so. It really helps keep your balance!!!

TerryS
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have major balance problems and now I am woozie/drunk from Lyrica ... it is scary.

Do you have ringing in your head? Mine is constant and loud.
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

some of my many meds.
  5. LeightonLAM

LeightonLAM New Member

Dizziness upon standing can be low blood pressure, among other things

The seasick type of dizzy can be caused by an inner ear infection, related to the equalibrium

6. twitcher

twitcher New Member

I have ringing in my ears intermittently but not all the time. I only take one med for sleep. I don't like the side-effects of the meds either...I have enough symptoms.
  7. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

hi there
    i too have balance problems which are a nuisance most of the time but i have had a thought concerning your 'on a boat theory' have you ruled out vertigo? maybe worth a quick chat with your doctor as vertigo can cause those feelings along with taking steps and the ground not quite being there when you put your feet down. hope its not but maybe worth asking.
    hope you are feeling better soon xxxxxxxxx
  8. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I have just recently looked back and there has been a pattern, started 5 yrs ago.
    Fell bowling
    Fell walking the dog...he didn't trip me, I lost my balance in the middle of the street and just fell, that has happened twice...umm I no longer walk Max.
    Fell hanging christmas decor, to the ground, couldn't get my hands around to catch myself broke my shoulder..weird
    Fell coming up my steps, couldn't get balance
    Different,but kneeling and my knee went out of joint, ER trip, morphine whole 9 yds for that one.
    I am only 54 and I am - was always involved in some kind of sport, volleyball, shooting basketball with the kids, soccer, until 5 yrs ago when I couldn't trust myself, now I walk around like a grandma afraid I will lose my balance, it is the fma...dd...stinks
  9. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

that I had a problem with balance and am very seldom dizzy...well last night I went out on the porch to flag someone down who was trying to find our house...

as I turned to go back into the house I kinda of lost my balance...didn't fall but I'm sure I looked like I was doing a new dance move...my husband was standing there and told me to get my "drunk self back in the house" he was teasing me of course...I don't drink.

I started thinking about it and I realize I do a lot of "new moves" sometimes when my balance is off....

Mine is not bad so I can laugh at it...but I hate it that some of you guys are having a hard time...I can imaigine it would be scary having it like you described. Might need to get a cane or have someone walk close to you when you have these spells.

At the very least don't go down or up any stairs when you are feeling this way...that could be very dangerous.
  10. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Im glad u asked

Not only do i have this, it is actually constant. Been constant since Mid November of 06. Its one of my top 3 debilitating symptoms. I have no clue why its so bad.
    Its like being on a boat...not that the environment around me is spinning. Its like being on a boat and my head is whirling around inside and my whole body feels off and my balance is impossible to maintain.

I actually feel safer driving than walking! Even sitting here i feel unstable. Its freaky and im learning to live with it. I dont do ANYTHING accept leave the house for necessities when im able.

I have been diagnosed with LYME through igenex. I dont see how some of us with CFS or Fibro can have this....but there are many neurological symptoms from lyme disease in its late stage. I will be treating for it soon and PRAY it helps this and many other problems i have.

Good luck
  11. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I sometimes look like a drunk.LOL.Wonder what my neighbors think?LOL! I have had tinnitus for years and it has nothing to do with my balance.Of course there is nto ne Dr. who cares about my tinnitius.It is LOUD,but I am used to it,been well over 15yrs.
  12. angelkisses6

angelkisses6 New Member

I get dizzy alot,but i do tend to start leaning to the side thats why i use a walker or if anybodys walking beside me i will bump in to them all the time,so onone likes to walk next to me,lol.
  13. Calleigh

Calleigh New Member

I have balance problems and dizziness most of the time. That's why I bought a folding cane last year... it doesn't take up much room, and it's saved me from pitching over many times.

When I'm not using the cane, I tend to walk as close as possible to walls and buildings... I have such a difficult time walking a straight line and I like to know there's something stable nearby!
  14. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

YES! Walking a straight line is not a possiblity for me. I have balance issues also. My joints are hypermobile and I often wonder if that is what makes things so difficult. If I have boots on, my ankles are less wobbly, but then there are the wobbly knees and my SI joint is forever moving out of place also. Could all this be contributing to the lack of balance? I don't feel dizzy, just terribly uncoordinated. After FM and Chronic Fatigue diagnoses, then came the one that made everything make sense - Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.
    H
  15. fibromom68

fibromom68 New Member

My "wozziness" started in May of 2006 with wozziness maybe once or twice a week.

Then it was 2 to 3 times a day

Now it is all the time with the addition of ringing in my ears,only my right ear going numb and slight problems with hearing on and off(some words sound mumbled)

I do not like it because I have to use my cane more often :(

On top of that I also have tremors as another symptom and at times I've had customers at work ask me if I have just quit smoking!(I don't smoke)

So now not only do I look like a drunk when I walk,I also skake like I'm a drug addict!

Sometimes I'm so mad at Fibro I could spit nails!

Rhonda
  16. momof471

momof471 New Member

I feel as I have none! I've always been what I just thought was a klutz. I have sprained my ankles I don't know how many times, I have permanant knots by my ankle bones. I'm always sporting one new bruise or another, sometimes I don't even know how it happened and I bruise badly. When on vacation 2 months ago I kept on walking off of curbs and falling down My knees and shins were this really strange shade of dark purple, huge! I always fall down my stairs, one time I went face first and hit my head on the wall, it hurt badly and I sprained my ankle too. Half the time I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I do these things. It just happens over and over. Haven't talked to my doctor about this. I've always been bad, have gotten worse in the past few years though. I wonder if the dizziness and tinnitis I have, have anything to do with all of this. I don't seem to have alot of visual perception(falling off curbs).

God Bless