who has used soma and klonopin for sleep? which one

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by redtex, May 1, 2007.

1. redtex

redtex New Member

has worked better as far as morning hangover? also which one is more addictive? i wonder about long term tolerance. thanks for any info.
  2. twitcher

twitcher New Member

I take klonopin 0.5mg but only 3 days a week. It's a benzo so highly addictive. I sleep good and don't have a hangover in the am. If I didn't have to work I wouldn't take anything at all. It was prescribed to take every day but no way am I doing that. I've never taken soma.
  3. frankie78

frankie78 New Member

hi.

i took klonopin for sleep for almost 7 years. at first it was just when i needed it. but it became every night after a while. it was very helpful and i got no hangover. it was difficult to stop, but definetly possible.

i posted a thread on here about withdrawal from klonopin. i was scared about it, but it wasn't as bad as had thoughy it would be. i got headaches, and the shakes, but i;m okay now. chamomile tea helped.

sorry, i don't know anything about soma.

frankie
  4. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

Helps for me because it keeps me from grinding my teeth but have read it can be addictive
  5. 2tired4life

2tired4life New Member

I take both for different reasons other than sleep.

The Klonopin I have been on and off for 10 years. I take 0.5 in the morning for anxiety.

I have taken upto 3 mg per day in the past and came off them without any addictive problem.

When starting or stopping klonopin I feel a little weird for about 3 days but not like a withdrawal, no cravings. More like im having an out of body experience. The world appears different.

I love Soma...my Orthopedic doc gave it to me last summer for shoulder spasms that travel up the back of my neck to my head.

Sometimes the pain is so bad I can barely lift up my head. can no longer function. for lack of a better term I call them migraines.

On Soma Compound I am almost knocked out and real tired. Very sedated felling. But the Pain Completely Goes Away. finally after 3 years I got relief.

If I have to take a Soma I know I will be drowsy for at least 24 hours.

In my experience if your having anxiety and can't sleep take the klonopin. It takes about 1 hour to work.

If your having pain and cant sleep take the Soma. Soma works for me in about 30 min.

I have a greater tired feeling on the Soma than Klonopin.

But of course thats just me ..you may have a different reaction.
    Any reason you cant try both. I take both, just not Soma all the time.
  6. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I take Klonopin 2times weekly 4mg. At least I get a good solid 5hrs. sleep twice a week. I've tried many anti-depressents, muscle relaxants, antihistamines,etc. to no avail. After awhile, no effect anymore. I know I'm sleep deprived, but don't know what else to do...Until I can find something else that will give me at least 7hrs. sleep, I guess I'll keep on w/Klonopin.

It doesn't make me groggy in the AM. I wish I could sleep longer than 4am using the klonopin, but...Oh well.....

Blessings;
    Fifth
  7. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

I'm wondering why you take the klonopin only 2 nights per week?

and if you take 4 mg at one time?

thank you
  8. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i love it. it helps me in so many ways. it helps me sleep, anxity, rls, and for my mirnese disease. i could not go without it. never triedsoma.

glenda
  9. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

I've taken the combo of klonopin & melatonin for years. Very small dose of klonopin, 1/4 mg + 1-2 mg of melatonin.

Melatonin has the added effect of being a neuro protective supplement too, very good for your brain.
  10. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I just started taking sonata. I don't know the difference between this and the ones you are talking about but it seems to work well for me. I anly take it if I lay there for at least 45 minutes without falling asleep.Seems to help me fall asleep quickly. Most night I take flexeril at bed time and thats enough to help me relax enough to fall asleep. Hope you get good response about the others. Hugs, Mick!
  11. fifthofanickel

yes I take 4mg 2 times a week. I started at 0.5mg. every nite, no go..Worked up to 2mg., still no go. (no sleep) So I felt 4mg. every nite was alot to take every nite & that too would wear off after awhile. Also I didn't want to go thru the withdrawal symtoms if I took the 4mg. every nite. That stuff can do crazy things to your body.

At least taking 4mg. twice a week, wouldn't be addictive & I can stop anytime w/o having the withdrawal thing. I'm so sensitive to meds, I'm afraid to try combos, but maybe at some time I'll be willing to try. When trying new things, I either get diarrhea, or my GERD symptoms kick in w/vomiting. I've done that so many times, I guess I'm just not ready to try anything new right now.

Thanx for your interest...

Blessings;
    Fifth
  12. Highlights

Highlights New Member

My Rheumatologist has prescribed both for me. The Soma I only take occasionally when I'm having bad muscle spasms that I can't relieve or if I am unable to get a massage.
    I find when I take 1 tablet, the muscle pain just eases off but I'm not stoned or unable to drive, work, etc.

Klonopin.....almost 2 years ago I was prescribed 1.5 mg. to take at bedtime for sleep. I did this initially and found for me I was too hung over. (low body weight) So, I reduced the dose to 1 mg. at bedtime which worked well. I slept well and all the muscle spasms I had been experiencing quit.

Then recently, it seemed like everywhere I turned people were talking about Klonopin being addictive, abused, what a terrible drug, etc. So since I was feeling so much better, I decided to lower my dose to 0.5 mg., a 50% decrease.

However, I did lower it very slowly gradually cutting tablets in half for a few weeks and then into quarters for several weeks. I just gradually tapered it down to 1/2 mg. I never had ANY withdrawal symptoms.

However, since doing this I have had a marked increase in muscle spasm, muscle pain. However, I had this pain BEFORE ever taking Klonopin. I just had forgotten though how much the 1 mg. of Klonopin had helped me. I slept well and had about 85-90% less pain.

I will probably go back up to 1 mg. at bedtime as I'm not sleeping well and my pain level is intense. I feel like yesterday's garbage. The way I see it, it has fewer side effects for me than many of the other medications used on fibro patients.

Nancy
  13. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

Thank you for your answer.

I spoke to my doc once about 4mg.......he stating that is the highest dose anyone should take in one day. I've only gotten to 2mg.

For a couple weeks i actually slept like 7 hours straight ...after 4 years of waking and falling back to sleep a gazillion times (Well it felt like a gazillion :) per night I couldn't believe i finally was able to sleep.

I'm back in the waking up category and the falling back to sleep has not been so easy.......though admittedly i have a lot going on in my life. I'm sure that contributes as well.

Here's to us all finding the path that works for us!

Nancy
  14. fifthofanickel

I think most of us would do better if we could only find that elusive 8hrs. of stage 4 sleep every nite. I think I only sleep straight thru a nite 2 or 3 times a yr. I really ENVY my hubby, he can put his head down on the pillow, & out he goes til around 5:30am. He also can nap in the afternoons, just by putting his head back on the recliner, & out he goes w/in a few seconds.

I could just scream...lol..Maybe someday I'll find something that will work for me.

I read your profile, how great you can work w/those kids. We just began sponsoring a child from Haiti..Hopefully his life will be better.

Take care all & hopefully we all will get some good sleep tonite.

Blessings;
    Fifth