Who have used Tryptophan and /or Tyrosine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Moonlite, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Moonlite

Moonlite New Member

Has anyone used tryptophan or tyrosine for anxiety or depression or fatigue? If so how much and has it helped you?
  2. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

Yes, I have tried tyrosine for depression and it did help. I chose to rotate l-phenylalanine one morning and tyrosine the next morning. L-phenylalanine is the precursor to l-tyrosine. Why did I choose to rotate the two instead of using just the Tyrosine? Only because of a dream I had.

I have ordered some tryptophan..........so I will take this at night..............the others are to be taken in the a.m. on an empty stomach. I have never taken tryptophan before so can't let you know yet my experience. I do know from lab tests that I am low in tryptophan. Havn't quite yet decided how much and how often I will take it....................I never take a supplement every day for prolonged periods of time. I pulse on and off in different manners.

I will post in the future about how the tryptophan worked for me.

Tammy
  3. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

I forgot to tell you............I get very high quality amino acids from Montiff. Just search Montiff amino acids.
    They however don't sell l-tryptophan but they did refer me to someone who did.

Tammy
  4. Moonlite

Moonlite New Member

Thank you Tammy..and how much do you take when you take Tyrosine..can you get the other one you mentioned phen..in the health food stores?
  5. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Moonlight,
    Yes, did use L-tyrosine and L-Phenylalanine for depression.
    I first went through every other nutritional supplement I could find, and that did not seem to help, so tried these.

They do have some things, supposedly, to be wary of, like the L-tyrosine if you have melanoma to avoid taking it. Since I've had several skin cancers removed already, not melanomas, basal cells, I was hesitant to take it, but was really depressed and wanted to avoid regular antidepressants.

So I, too, alternated and combined them. I think you just have to experiment and see which one works best. According to Dr. Weil's site, he said the L-Tyrosine you should notice an improvement pretty rapidly, so I think I started with that one. I can't remember what he recommended now, but I think it was to start with the 500 mg, then go to that twice a day, which I did. I think then I went back to once a day and started with the L-phenylalanine and took it with the L-Tyrosine.

I did notice an improvement in a week, and then my brain got a little goofy for a couple days, it was a very weird sensation. My psychologist said my brain chemicals were probably adjusting and that if it just lasted for while, that was ok, but if it lasted longer than a week or two, best to stop them.

So I took them both, alternating and what not for about three months, now my depresssion is much better and I'm just doing the regular amino acid combos.

I also noted that the first month I took them I cut back on all my other supplements, as I wanted to be sure if there was any side effects, what it was.

So after the first month, the L-tyrosine and L-Phenylalanine didn't seem to work as well, but as soon as I started taking my regular supplements, I perked right back up again.

the other big improvement I had, and it had to be from the L-tyrosine and L-phenylalanine, my moons on my fingernails disappeared a long time ago, probably in my teens, and I'm now 49. Of course most regular doctors would not even notice that, but the iridologist did and told me my body was not getting enough calcium. Well, this I knew already as I had a MEA done, mineral electrolyte assessment test and it showed that my body was not absorbing calcium, and it didn't matter how much calcium I was taking or what kind.

Well, after a month, my moons started coming back on my fingernails and are about half of where they should be at present, just thought I'd mention that, obviously for me there was a connection there.
    Sbilek
  6. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

I'm sure you can get l-phenylalanine at the health food store. The reason I suggested Montiff amino acids is because Don Tyson the founder is a leading expert in amino acid therapy. Their product that has the l-tyrosine in it is called neuro balance. It is l-tyrosine with pyridoxal 5 phosphate mixed into it which is imparative that you take this along with the tyrosine. Sometimes I took 500mg a half hour before breakfast............and sometimes I took 500mg. before breakfast and then another 500mg hafl hour before lunch. I also took the basic amino acid formula which includes all the amino acids so as not to just take single amino acids.

My body is sensitive and sometimes if I took 2 doses........I wouldn't be hungry.......which for me isn't good........because I need to eat at least 3 meals a day........because of sugar level problems.

Tammy
  7. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

From my research.........it mentioned not to take the tyrosine and phenylalanine together........that is why I rotated and took one one day and the other the next day. I took the weekends off. Then after a couple of months, I took sporadically.

Tammy
  8. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Bump for those looking for suggestions with depresssion