Who here gets Lyme Treatment at the FFC?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by meowchowchow, Jun 13, 2006.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

Just wondering...I can not afford to go there anymore although they tested me and diagnosed me by Western Blot. I didn't feel much confidence in the dr. there either and I felt constantly "pushed" to do so many things I wasn't comfortable with.

I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and go back since there are no LLMD's in Ga?

Thanks!
  2. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

This is just my opinion: You might be spinning for wheels with them at this point. I'd say if after one year with them you don't see significant improvement there is something they are missing.

I really think the adrenal, thyroid, low immune, pain, no sleep are all manifestations of the root cause bacterial or viral infections. For us lyme. Did they test you through Igenex for lyme and co-infections?

There are many abx combinations that are usually switched around by the LLMD. they are the experts. My LLMD has been treating lyme for 30 years.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2006]
  3. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

Yeah, I also felt like she was not very educated about Lyme and treatments yet (she's kinda new) and with that kind of $$$ you can't really fiddle around.

What else are you doing besides abx?
  4. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

LLMD told me not to take too many other things especially herbs since we have to let the abx do their jobs. plus liver might get toxic with too many herbs combined with the abx.

I take estrogen hormonal patch, progesterone, multi-vit., magnesium, garlic, fish oil mainly, prohiotics. Plus a few other things.

I try to reduce stress and get a good sleep. My adrenal cortisol was extremely high at the FFC, right off the charts.

5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi meow,
    I'm going to the Seattle FFC for treatment. Unlike the experience that you are describing, I feel very confident in my Dr. Although she is rather new at treating lyme, she is doing a very fine job so far, 6 months into treatment. I have a lot of confidence in her, and she has never ever "pushed" anything on me.

Just as with other clinics, center, hospitals, not all of the FFC doctors have the same strengths and abilities. With lyme, I wouldn't mess around. If you are not confident in the doctor, then move on.

I've read that sometimes an LLMD from out of state will work together with your local doctor. Maybe something like that would work for you. Have you checked with lymenet dot org? Do you have a statewide lyme support group? Those may be options for you.

Good luck,
    Hopeful4
  6. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Go with your instincts on this if you don't feel confidence in the Dr's, I would go out of state. I travel out of state to MO and its worth it for me as I'm working with someone that works with nothing but full time with lyme and has for years.

I don't have the time or money anymore to mess with Dr's that aren't staying current with all the needs that lyme patients need.

jar
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

We live in Georgia too and make a 400 mile round-trip.

This was after asking for referrals in GA last year, thinking there had to be SOMEbody around-- at least in or at Atlanta/Emory/etc...

Every reply I had told me to not waste my time & money, to skip to going to one of the most knowledgeable doctors in the nation. And the replies were mostly from the Atlanta Metro area.

Almost everytime I have read what someone is doing for Lyme thru one of the FFCs it is not what I read the LLMDs are doing.

Have you gone to ilads.org and read their info there? That's a good place to start.

You might want to look up Dr. Joseph Burrascano's paper that he revises every year, it is online for free (written so patients can understand it) called "Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease" -- he has been treating Lyme for over 20 years.

PLUS consider ordering the DVD set I posted about at this board. You'll gain a wealth of knowledge...

hope this helps,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 01/22/2008]