"who here has extreem low blood pressure"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Solaris_Starr, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

One of my symptoms is extreem low blood pressure. I have blood pooling in the legs if I stand to long, (legs turn dark red or purple with white dots) or blood pooling in the upper abdomen, (feels like my upper abdomen is filling up or pressure and then I feel so weak ) when this is happening I push in an up in that area with my hands and it seems to ease the symtoms. Weird eh? Anyone else?

Sandy
  2. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

These can be symptoms of some pretty serious health problems (other than CFS or FM, I mean). Have you seen your physician about this?
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

How low does you blood pressure go? Mine only gets down to about 90. When I went to the Fibro and Fatigue Center, my doctor said it is common with these diseases. He gave me florinef and that helped alot. Did you ever watch the movie "I Remember Me". It is about CFS suffers. There was a high school kid that had this low blood pressure so bad, he`d been in bed for years. It can really make one imcapcitated.

Please find a good doctor that can help you with this. You shouldn`t have to put up with this, there are things that can help. It could be a symptoms of more then just Fm.

This is so hard dealing with all this, I know. I have alot of scary symptoms, and my doctor at home says oh, your healthy. Ya, right. The next time I go in I`m going to show him the lab results from the FFC. They found many things wrong. Do you have a good doctor? They are very rare with these diseases.

Let me know how your doing.
    Sandyz
    [This Message was Edited on 12/11/2005]
  4. vickiw

vickiw Member

I have low BP, but not to the point where it's a problem. One of the things I have been diagnosed with is postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS). That's when your heart rate is normal when lying or sitting down, but goes way up when you stand in one place.

POTS can have symptoms similar to what you're describing. The blood pooling isn't as dramatic for me, but I've noticed the red dots on my feet and ankles.

Have you spoken to your doctor about these symptoms?

Here is a description of POTS that I got from a web site about it:
    ~~~~~~~~~
    The length of time POTS patients can comfortably stand varies widely from case to case. Patients may become dizzy, lightheaded, and develop chest and heart pain from standing beyond their limit. Blood pooling in the legs and splanchnic bed (abdomen) may occur, which is felt in the same way you feel water fills your mouth when you get a drink. Shortness of breath, blurry vision, tingling in the legs, sweating, and feelings of heat from increased adrenaline production are common symptoms of orthostatic stress.
    ~~~~~~~~~

My doctor currently has me trying Inderal to see if it helps with my symptoms.

Good luck dealing with this, whatever the cause!
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Some researcher said we have 18-30% less blood than normal. This is insane (for our bodies), he also mentioned that if a guy came to a hospital with a trauma/bleeding loosing that much blood he would sure be treated urgently! We walk around like that, every day! If we also have a low blood pressure, i can just imagine what it does to a body. Bless your heart, Sandy (hug). Do you have a good doc? Maybe you should go have it checked out soon?
  6. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

At this date my lowest b.p. has beem recorded at 85/50,
    I do have P.O.T.S and and Orthostatic Intolerance. I was told once by a Cardiologist, I was lucky to have such low blood pressure and i could take a t-spoon of salt in the morning to raise it if my bp was such a bother!!??

I am going to be seeing a new cardi/neuro in January, lets see what they say.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted

Hugs
    Sandy
  7. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Mine goes as low as 72/54, while it is good to have low BP this low is not good. I don't get pooling of blood in my legs but I get extremely fatigued, heart palpitations and headaches.
    Currently I'm taking Licorice Root remedy that my homeopath made up for me, I'd say for you it is worth a try and also not expensive.
    Let us know how you are doing.

Phoebe
  8. jaybe

jaybe New Member

hi sandy,i have had low blood pressure ever since i can remmember, the doctors never seem to worry about it, but i do!!! every time i stand up from sitting or bending everything goes black & yes i get the white dots like you but didnt know it was from the low blood pressure, one doctor has told me to sip cordial or lemonade when its very low & hey it works for me.
    julie
  9. Txslady

Txslady New Member

If it is blood pooling or not. I also have and always have had low BP. The things your describe about your legs are the same thing that happens to me. However, my internist told me it was Livedo Reticularis and is very common in FM patients. From what I have read this fits the diagnosis, now I guess I need to research postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS)nd see if my doc is wrong.

Shannon
  10. Rene

Rene New Member

Yes mine went to 38/11 and I have been to the NIH. Had to take THREE plane seat to get there. All you POTS people or NCS people I highly recommed you going especially if you are alone, to go to the NIH study.

Hang in there I think this is good cause a lot of people can be helped with salt or other drugs. A lot can't like me but I was so happy cause there is a least some treatments for it not like CFS.
  11. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Thank yo all for your helpful informaiton and encouragement. As I have said, I will keep you all up to date as I find out more myself. Some days are so bad, it scares the crap out of me! I keep thinking, this can't be good?? I sometimes get scared my heart will just stop beating!! ARGGGGGGGGGGG I hate this. One day at a time.......and the beat goes on,

hugs to all
    Sandy
  12. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

The lowest mine ever got was 50/30. I felt drunk because so little blood was getting to my brain when I stood up. I had developed a type of heart failure with low ejection fraction, probably from a virus.

What got it back up for me eventually was evening primrose oil/borage oil and zinc, but I had to use a lot of salt while I was recovering.

You would need an ultrasound of your heart, not just an ECG, to determine if you have cardiomyopathy with low ejection fraction. I'd push for it if you haven't already had it done.

Jan
  13. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

i use to have low blood preasure but with the meds i'm on now it's right at normal. it made it easy on my regular doctor cause she could prescribe me meds that other people couldn't take cause it elvated the blood preasure. it was never so low though that my blood pooled anywhere. I would really talk to your doctor about that and see what they say.
  14. ellikers

ellikers New Member

NIH I think stand for National Institutes of Health. You can google it (go the the website for google.com and then type it in and hit enter) and fine more information that way.

I've had low blood pressure for the last year I've had my CFIDS illness. The lowest I think it has gotten is 85/50. My body is also very small, so that may explain why I don't have any problems with the low blood pressure.

You can eat more salt and caffeine to try and raise it. I would definitely talk to a doctor about the very specfic symptoms you are having (blood pooling etc) and they should have ways to help you out. it not, I would suggest fighting like %$#@ to go get a second opinion.

I had to go and see at least 5 doctors last year to finally find a nurse practitioner that has helped me a TON.