Who here has trouble with escalators?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libra55, Sep 23, 2003.

1. libra55

libra55 New Member

Does anyone have trouble with escalators? Do you think it has to do with fibro or CFS or both conditions?

I just feel so dizzy on the escalator. I'd rather use the elevator. I don't like the striped grooves on the steps either. When I step off at the end I feel like I'm either going to come down too hard on my foot or miss entirely and fall on my face.

One time at the mall the escalator had broken, but people were walking down it so I did the same. And I had to really concentrate on those steps because they are quite large and the gap between some of them was different than the gaps between others. I was focusing so hard on those striped steps when I got to the bottom and looked up, my vision was all blurry and screwed up. Man, what a fright that was!

Anyone else have this problem?

Good wishes,
    Michelle
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I'm not big on escalators either, especially those with the white strips on the black background, but I like elevators even less! I get dizzy on elevators, I leave my stomach at the 'top' when going down, and I leave it at the 'bottom' when going up :)

Its a choice of two necessary evils to me, so I take the lesser, escalator.

I do have that feeling I am going to fall forward on the bottom, I just hold on tight to the rail and have my foot ready to get to the solid floor.

Our eyes do play tricks on us, I know what you mean with that one. Its the strips I guess, like flashing lights they cause my vision to blur too.

Just be careful.............

Shalom, Shirl
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I've never liked them, but don't know if it has anything to do with FM or not.

Marilyn :)
  4. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

What a suprise to see THIS question come up - just yesterday my daughter & I were at JC Penny. I had no trouble getting on to go up, though i ALWAYS have balance issues with this. However, going down was a whole other ballgame. I stood on the left side, daughter on the right, as we prepared to mount the 'down' side. Seems like I stood there forever just staring at the stairs until daughter asked, 'what's up?' and I realized I had NO CLUE about how to step onto the bloody thing! I stood there longer trying to figure it out, but couldn't. I stepped back, and without thinking, moved to the right side of the contraption. I looked down again, and to my surprise, and except for the known balance issues, was able to step right onto it!

My left sided attempts didn't feel visual as much as my brain seemed to simply not comprehend HOW to accomplish the task! Weirdest darn thing, and a ? for my Neuro.

Sure surprised the b-jeebers out of me when you posted this topic! HA!
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace ALL Grievances
  5. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

Ok, I believe it is related to the disease. I had this problem for so long. Had to hang on to someone going up those horrible moving stairs. This was ok if it was someone I knew but strangers did not take kindly to being grabbed all of a sudden just because I lost my balance! I also found I was talking to myself, "Now get ready to walk..get ready to walk..now walk". I am better now, can manage the escalators but not very steep steps (as in an arena) esp going down. I still feel like I am going to topple over. So if anyone ever just grabs me on an escalator, I will be very kind , hold them steady and tell them when to start walking! Been there, Done that.
  6. carole128

carole128 New Member

Hi Michelle
    When I was a little kid I was scared to death of them. I got a bit better when I was older but always had to have my left hand free (left handed)to balance myself to step on to the first step and I would fret about the getting off again all the way down! FMS made is worse because my balance was more off balance. I also hate going down lots of stairs it make my eyes go all funny and stairs with gaps in is even worse.
    Carole
  7. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

This is so strange that you posted this. I was just at JC Penney over the weekend and I felt so dizzy and off balance on the escalator that it scared me. I thought I was going to fall off. I could not wait to get off that thing.