Who is allergic to wheat and dairy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Feb 14, 2007.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I am allergic to:

cloves
    eggplant
    lime
    cow's milk (don't drink it anyway, but it's in most food)
    pork (don't eat it anyway)
    rye
    wheat (is in almost everything)
    lettuce (now this is shocking)

Soy didn't show up as a possible allergen

Can anyone provide any suggestions or comments at all?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2007]
  2. mujuer

mujuer New Member

My husband has celiac disease and is allergic to all gluten which includes wheat. You have to get real knowledgable about it because they even distill soy sauce with wheat. My mother-in-law has helped us so much to become gluten free as she has this also. We all learned most of what we know about this from some cookbooks by "Bette Hagman". All of her books have forwards regarding this allergy and a very comprehensive list of what you can have and can't have. She gives recipes on how to make up your own Bisquick types of flours to cook with. Who knew you could make a pizza dough with fava bean flour? After many years of trying different store bought nasty tasting breads we discovered a website in canada that we can get great tasting breads, bagels, muffins, cookies, pizza rounds, doughnuts. It is expensive to be gluten free as all of the stuff we have to buy is alot more then the equivalent but it is well worth it. We don't get to eat out much though. I feel for ya' but it's all do-able. Some grocery stores carry foods that have health food sections. Just be a good label reader but first do some reading. I didn't know carmel had wheat in it. There are magazines also for people that have food allergys. I hope this helps.
  3. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the RAST test. The scratch testing is much better for diagnosing true allergies. And even with the scratch tests, you can show allergy to foods, and they may not even bother you. I showed an allergy to fish, yet I eat it all the time and haven't noticed any effects at all. I also showed an allergy to wheat and don't have a problem with it.

A lot of allergists like to do the RAST test because it is less painfull for the patient, but I personally don't think it is very accurate for diagnosing true allergies.

Take care, Sally
  4. SweetT

SweetT New Member

froggyfog------I had the test done at my local Labcorp, as ordered by my Osteopath.

mujuer----------I knew that wheat was even in soy sauce. Fortunately, I'm not crazy about soy sauce. And yes, in mh local Giant Eagle, there's an organic/health foods section that has food for those with allergies to dairy and wheat. I used to pay $2 for a small 7 ounce of vegan mac and cheese, wondering why it still did me in (which of course, was because of the wheat flour).

matthewson----------all the things that showed up, except the eggplant, because I don't eat it, make my stomach upset. definitely dairy does. and after i eat too much wheat, i'm groggy and spacy and fatigued, with an overwhelming sleepiness. I know for sure that I cannot tolerate drinking cow's milk. I haven't in almost 5 years. And no, Lactaid does not work. I think it's a true milk allergy.

5. cct

cct Member

I have had allergies all my life (I inherited them from my father and grandmother). The strange thing is that they keep changing!

I have had several different types of testing and they have all indicated allergies to somethihg or the other. My most recent test revealed that I am allergic to all grains except rice and I am allergic to all milk products.

Wheat and rye were my strongest allergens, but the doctor told me to avoid all grains (buckwheat, spelt, oats, corn, etc.). i am assuming that the real problem lies with a gluten intollerance.

A similar reaction was evident with milk products. I always thought that I had a reaction to lactose (the sugar) in milk, but as it turns out, I am actually allergic to casin (the protein) in milk. All milks (goat milk included), cheeses, ice creams, etc., and many packaged foods, contain casin.

Most of them contain some form of wheat also.
  6. bewell4

bewell4 New Member

i had resisted for ages, although i think all of my friends have done it. it seemed more pain than it was worth...well, good news! (lol) my pain was just so intense, and nothing helping, that i was finally motivated! (oh, i remember now, it was when i was 'diagnosed' with interstitial cystitis...ugh, don't get me started on that!) i went off all gluten and dairy for two weeks.

i was feeling really incredible, very bright and happy. much different from usual! oh, also, i remembered the other thing is that towards the end of the 2 weeks, i suddenly got depressed for no reason i could see. that was a big bummer and contributed to me quitting the diet. tho not the only reason.

also, i was hoping it would help my pain. it didn't, but given more time might have, or might have at least been a piece of the puzzle...

i could not* believe* how good i felt! huh..this reminds me..the brain fog was like 100 times improved!! oh my gosh! i actually *got up* in the morning, on my own (not dragging myself, but spontaneously awaking and just getting* out of bed!) before my son woke (bliss!). i actually woke up feeling clear headed!! oh, wonderful!

it was, of course, quite a lot of work to avoid wheat/dairy, but i was surprised at how easy it was too. when you know that dinner will be brown rice, chicken, and veggie..well, don't have to put so much thought and time into it! the food i was making actually was easy. i use a rice cooker and bake the chicken. very fast and simple. actually, it wasn't so much "work" as it took focus to remember to keep eating every hour or two. small meals. i have found for myself that it is clear that i eat junk (or wheat/dairy in this case) when i am so hungry that i don't care. and when i get hungry, i get really fuzzy and my standards for what to eat go waaaay down. :)

why am i not still on the diet, you ask?! lol... i was having to cook and eat every hour or 2. with all the freaking health issues i have, that meant that all my time and focus and energy was going towards that. i do have a small child; i just couldn't keep it up. i still plan to go back to it, and one thing i have stuck with is the brown rice and chicken. so i think some good came out, and i got a step closer...

p.s. i even read that sometimes they secretly (not stated on label) inject chicken with wheat!! wheat/dairy derivatives are added to tons of packaged food. almost everything. aarrggh!! :) i get organic natural chicken, so i just hope it is safe.
  7. cats3

cats3 New Member

I am allergic to a lot of foods.

Wheat,gluten,yeast,eggs,cows milk,cane sugar,almond, banana,green beans,pineapple,sweet and white potatoes and the list goes on and on.

My allergist/immunologist did a skin test and IgG ELISA test to find out what I was allergic to.