Who is new to mirapex

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charlie21, Oct 20, 2006.

1. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Just want to see how many people, having heard about the breakthrough to treat FM with mirapex, are now newly on it, and how you are getting on with it. I have had wonderful results, and hoping that other people are just as lucky as I have been. Please note that mirapex is in the U.S.A. and it is called mirapexin in the u.k. I am on 0.125 mgs 3 times daily. Charlie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2006]
  2. millennia

millennia New Member

I was on mirapex a while back. I thought that it was the answers to all my prayers. I went from having so much in my legs that I would almost vomit, to having almost none. I didn't have many side effects, but I did have trouble brushing my teeth as it greatly increased my gag reflex.

A few months into taking it I started get very nauseous and dizzy after taking it. I swear I'm the only person who develops side effects months in to treatment! I had to stop taking it due to the side effects.

It helped me so much when I was on it. I hope that you continue to have great results with it. It seems that for those of us who can tolerate it, it is a lifesaver!
  3. outofstep

outofstep Member

Glad to hear about your success w/ Mirapax! I was actually really optimistic when I began taking it myself, but had such horrible side-effects (unrelenting nausea and dizziness) that I had to stop very early on. And the side-effects continued for awhile even after discontinuing the drug. However-it's great to know that something has worked for other people. It's another piece in the big puzzle that is CFS...
  4. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Can I ask what dose you were on please. I am finding that many people have been put on just one high dose, instead of having three baby doses and gradually increasing it if need be. I am wondering whether this is why people are not tolorating it so well and coming off it so soon. I am on the lowest dose, and I do have the dizziness, but very mild, but I can feel when I am due my next tablet an hour earlier, so they must be working. Some are only having one at bedtime, and a higher dose, but nothing for the daytime. Just a thought. Charlie
  5. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

Thanks for the thread.On monday I will find out if my pain doc will be putting me on this. Does anyone know about how expensive this is?

I will hopefully get the dose you are on Charlie. If and when I am on it I will let you know my results. Not sure how I'm going to pay for it but I want this med.

Glad to see several doing better. I hope others try again if their dose was too high.
  6. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

I think this will give you some idea of how much mirapexin with be in the U.S.A. I got these prices from one of the pharmacy discount sites. I pay once a year for a prepayment certificate, which cost me about £94.00 which is I think about $180.00 dollars your money providing you are in the U.S.A of course. You have not filled in your profile, so I cannot see where you live. I live in the U.K. It doesn't have my dose of 0.125 mgs three times daily, but mine is a very small dose, but I am sure you can ask for it. I really do believe in this stuff now, and though my dizziness is very slight, I think it is a very small trade in for what has been 7 years of pain. Would love to know how you get on. Charlie

MIRAPEX 0.25 mg 90 $90.39 In Stock
    MIRAPEX 0.25 mg 90 $120.19 In Stock
    MIRAPEX 0.25 mg 90 $129.26 In Stock
    MIRAPEX 0.5 mg 90 $173.02 In Stock
    MIRAPEX 0.5 mg 90 $225.15 In Stock
    MIRAPEX 0.5 mg 90 $248.61 In Stock
    MIRAPEX 1 mg 90 $173.02 In Stock
    MIRAPEX 1 mg 90 $225.15 In Stock
    MIRAPEX 1 mg 90 $248.61 In Stock
    MIRAPEX 1.5 mg 90 $173.02 In Stock
    MIRAPEX 1.5 mg 90 $225.15 In Stock
  7. outofstep

outofstep Member

In answer to your q I was on the lowest dosage but just could not tolerate it. Apparently nausea is a common side-effect. That's how it goes with these meds though-trial and error and not everything works for everyone. Oh well-I'll keep looking :)
  8. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Hello there, sorry Mirapexin wasn't for you, like you say we are all different. My Mirapexin will be increased tomorrow, and I don't know what to expect myself, nor the long term implications of the drug, what are we to do. Some drug will come out I think soon, purely for FM, I think it is only a matter of time. Charlie
  9. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Picked up my higher dose today. Now on 0.18 mgs. Will take my first higher dose tonight, in fact am taking it now, it is now 8.20 p.m.in the U.K. My doctor has been surprised at my results. I hope it may improve my sleep. Slept from about 10.30 p.m. to 1.03 p.m. to be precise, plus I have a full time job working 37.5 hours per week. My hubby says he doesn't know how I do it. The new herbal sleeping tablet I was given were rubbish, thankfully only one months supply. Will be trying me on zopiclone I think if they do not work. Apparently I was told by one of the doctors that I work for, I am a medical secretary by the way, and she said you can only be on zopiclone for about three weeks. I hope this isn't true, because I will be back to square one again. Glad you are still having good results. I am hoping to hear from some of the others who said they are going to try it if their doctors said they can. We need more people to trial this drug don't we, so that we know that we are not the only ones seeing an improvement. Charlie
  10. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

11. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Hello Hayley nice to hear from you again. I am only on mirapex twice a day now, 9.00 a.m and 9.00 p.m. my dose has been increased now to 0.18 mg was previously three times a day at 0.088 mg not a significant increase. The restless legs have improved a lot, leaves my legs relaxed and glowing at bedtime, but soothing. I started to have a flare at the weekend in the supermarket, and had to lean on the trolley, had problems lifting my arms up to push it, and legs ached like mad and were heavy, then the old IBS came into force, but made it just in time. You really get now warning hardly do you? The muscle spasms during the day have decreased, and I think my flares when I have woken up in the morning have recovered quicker, and not quite as severe. I am happy that the severity has decreased somewhat, anything is a bonus. On the positive side, it is still early days, and I am on nothing like your dose at the moment I don't think. Sleep is another problem, felt great last night, and had on average six hours which was nice, but in the past two weeks it has been really bad. Will be speaking to my doc tomorrow and telling him about it. He had suggested Zopiclone at one point, which I would gladly take at the moment I can tell you. How much would you say on a scale of 1-10 that you have improved. I would say about a 6 for me just now. Charlie