Who is on The candida diet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I want to start this diet very soon, please tell me your experiences on it and have you noticed any changes.
    thanks and love to all, Ann
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I am on the diet. I have a candida issue that was making me very ill. I addressed that first before my other CFS issues. I took diflucan and did the diet, then used supplemental antifungals with the diet and got my candida down to a managable level.

Then I had to go on antibiotics for upper resp infection and am now treating candida aggressivly once again. I take diflucan and also rotate antifungals such as pau d arco, garlic, grapefruitseed extract and uvi ursi. You have to do the diet along with antifungals, or the candida will persist.

Do you know for sure you have candida? The diet is really tough! And it takes a long time to treat candida, at least six months more likely a year. I no longer crave sweets, Halloween was a breaze, but I miss cheeseburgers and Pizza! I've lost a lot of weight and really have to work at not losing any more. Every thing I eat is very nutritious now, no processed or junk food at all.

I feel much better since treating my candida. It was one of my biggest issues. Good luck to you!!
  3. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I'd like to know how people cope with sugar cravings? My craving for CHOCOLATE has been soooo bad the last couple of weeks! But apparently with the Candida thing it is very common to crave the things that are making you will.

I am dreading sugar and chocolate cravings if I do this diet...
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The sugar cravings will pass. Give them another week or two. Pretty soon you won't even miss sugar. It's a drug that you just have to withdraw from.

I think a lot of people crave chocolate because it has a substance called phenylethylalanine in it. (That's also made when people feel "in love.") If your chocolate cravings are bad, look into an amino acid called DLPA (dl-Phenylalanine). That's a precurson to the stuff in chocolate and may help.

If you want to get rid of candida, getting off sugar is pretty mandatory. Yeast eat this like crazy.

White flour is also pretty bad, and should be at least cut way back on. It changes into to sugar pretty fast.

Fruit juices are high in sugar, and should be consumed (if at all) in moderate quantities.

However.....the strict "candida diet" seems impractical for those of us with CFS. Yeast infections are for most of us recurrent rather than one time, and being on the super-restrictive diet a high percentage of the time is just impractical. It's one thing if you're a normal person and do it once in your life, and get rid of the problem. But for many of us, the yeast is a _constant_ problem, and doing that restrictive diet is just too hard.

For example, I recently mentioned my yeast problem to someone who (20 years ago) had been on "The Diet." Later I mentioned having eaten an apple, and got this major "scolding" from her.....as if I was sabotaging myself. ("If you're trying to kill yeast, why would you want to feed yeast, blah blah blah.')

But never eating an apple (or any fruit, or any rice, or whatever) for the rest of my life just to avoid yeast is just crazy. Especially since I have 25 food allergies that restrict what I can eat further. And then recently I've been told that nuts (creates an arginine-rich environmment conductive to the growth of viruses) and soy (creates hormone imbalance) are both bad too.

Plus even if this weren't unhealthy, it's just too hard. If I'm not able to eat 1/2 the foods in the world (not to mention no processed foods), that doesn't leave me many choices. Eventually your whole life revolves around food obsession, and you can never eat out of the house.

So I think that people with chronic candida should just cut out sugar entirely, reduce significantly white flour and fruit juices, eat somewhat less white rice, and be done with it. That's doable, once you get past the sugar withdrawal. Give it just a little bit longer (at three weeks, you're almost there) and it will be fine.
  5. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Like marsupialmama I too crave sweets all the time such as chocolates..well just plain sweet, I wake up in the morning and the first thing I want to eat is something sweet and trust me I have gained weight. How about Rye bread..can I eat thing or is it considered white?

i will give this diet a try and see how it goes, thank you again for giving me information on this.

Love to all, Ann
  6. 1faith

1faith New Member

Today is my 8th day on the diet! My carb cravings were the worst on about day 6-not so bad after that. I developed worse upper resp symptoms after starting it, but don't know yet if there is a relation. I'm also taking candida cleanse herbals and probiotics.
    I don't know for a fact if candida is a problem for me, I'm just tired of feeling bad and my symptoms were consistant with candida! Like lisapetrison said, the diet is VERY restrictive. I'm following the directions in Dr Don Colberts Bible Cure for Candida booklet.
    Good Luck!!!
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Most wheat bread and (I believe) all rye bread has some white flour in it. If you do eat products with white flour, I would suggest limiting yourself to one or two small servings a day (serving equals a piece of bread or 1/2 cup spaghetti). This should be doable on a continual basis (which you really should if you have CFS), not just for the short time you're on "The Diet."
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The other thing about "The Diet" is that if you follow it too stringently, you're likely to get a big herx at the beginning. This is just as likely as if you're on herbs or Nystatin, since starving yeast creates just as many dead ones as killing them. I still think cutting out sugar completely is a must (since it's like a drug.....alcoholics don't usually do well just cutting back). But being too rigid with regard to the rest of your diet may be counterproductive at first (due to herxing) and in the long run (due to nutritional considerations and difficulties in staying on the diet), I think.
  9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Well said Lisapetrison! I quite agree with everything you said! Candida takes quite a while to get rid of, so if we were to be on the "strict" diet for 6 months to a year, we would be malnourished.

I don't white flour at all. (at least not very often). But I do eat a serving or two each day of whole grains. Oatmeal for breakfast, or ezekeil toast. I do eat one or two peices of fruit each day. I have learned to love buckwheat pancakes with butter.

Believe it or not, the sugar cravings do pass! I used to be a major chocoholic!! Now if I cheat, I would rather eat pizza or cheeseburgers! If I cheat too much, my body reacts and I get sick, so I have to be very careful.
  10. jole

jole Member

Two years ago I did the strict candida diet - it was great for the yeast problem, but I lost sooo much weight people thought I was dying. The only time I had any sympathy with this DD:)

But it was also very unhealthy in the longrun, and I gradually went back to eating everything, including all the sweets. I now need to start over, but will never do the strict diet again.

As you are saying, just the sugar, white flour and most carbs is all I'm doing this time, and we'll see what happens.

Friends -
  11. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I think I could live with that. If one more person asks when the baby is due I will NOT be responsible for my actions. She was born 8 years ago!

I know sugar and white flour are bad. But they are in a lot of things, even so called "healthy" things. All the rye bread have some wheat flour in them, and it's not always clear if it is white flour or not.

I have a bunch of allergies and things I should avoid too, in addition to the obvious. It feels like it will be too hard to have any social life with this "diet"...
  12. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

If it's not clear whether it's white flour, then its white flour. If the package doesn't say 100% whole grains, then they add white flour.

I agree that the social life is hard with this stupid diet. I always end up eating something I shouldn't when I am out socially. If I eat more than one thing I'm not supposed to, then I feel ill. Today my legs are still hurting after having a small bad of chips on Monday night. Yesterday they really hurt in addition to having a major sinus headache and runny nose. For some reason whenever I eat simple carbs, I get major muscle pain mainly in my legs.

I'm like Jole, in that I have lost a lot of weight. I look too thin and have to make sure I eat as much as I can each day. If I careful I don't lose weight, but every once in a while I lose a few pounds and then hubby makes me a huge steak for dinner! Four years ago I weighed 30 lbs more than I do now. My weight was creeping up each year as I got older. Never thought I would be worried about being too thin! Probly a few years from now, when I'm a bit pudgy again, I'll remember this time of my life and wonder!

[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2006]
  13. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I am glad you replied to my post, I really do appreciate it,
    things were said and I took to heart...I do that because I am very sensitive (my husband says I am maybe too sensitive)
    So if it's alright with you lets just forget what happen and I am sorry for my post, as I said I will be cautious before looking at a post and replying. so again thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post, take care.

love to all, Ann
  14. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I very recently found that "looking like your pregnant" may be the result of a clogged colon. I've been trying to clear out mine recently (with a mixture of psyllium-based stuff plus occasional trips to get colon hydrotherapy from a professional), and already my stomach looks flatter. I think I have a long way to go (I'm trying to do it slowly), but am encouraged.

The other thing about colon hydrotherapy is that it does an _extremely_ good job at washing away die-off (e.g. herx) symptoms. I was herxing big-time for several days, and after I got that done, it went away entirely.

I've posted on this (look also under "colonics" and "colonix" several times recently, and so you might take a look.
  15. ruti

ruti Member

I Had a successful recovery from candida - it took a long time and effort
    It is very important to get a clear diagnosis if it is candida and how much it is local or effects the whole body. There are some labs who can check it (hard to find the ones who are really capable of it). To me the best diagnosis besides the symptoms was checking a drop of blood under a microscope - also not easy to find a proffesional person who knows how to do it). I found that diet and supplements were not enough for me - I took Nistatin + pribiotics (assidofulus)+magnesium and many supplaments. all that and a strict diet cause the candida to die and while doing so it sends a huge amount of toxins to the body and many times you feel much worsh and think - this is not working - you need to know the bad reaction is part of recovery. it is very important to help the body to get rid of the toxins - a very good way to do it is to do colonics (go to someone who has this machine and knows to do it). Ruti

[ advertisement ]