who knows about ANA test?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gmom605, Oct 10, 2006.

1. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

because i had some blood work done last wk and i`ll be

going for my results tomorrow and one test i know the Dr.

wanted was a ANA done ,liver,iron,too ,i know for a fact my liver was not doing well,a little to high

i do have fm real bad ,,in the morning`s i can`t get up

from the bed,and my legs unbelieveable the pain ,,,

so does anyone know of the ANA test they do what is that

for? thanks again for your time!!!!! ,,gmom,,,,

2. TerryS

TerryS Member

If I'm not mistaken, the ANA can be positive in a number of auto-immune disorders. If it is negative, I think they can safely rule out Lupus. There are other lupus tests, as well.

GOOD LUCK!

TerryS
  3. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

Bumped!!!
  4. drvbrockhurst

drvbrockhurst New Member

ANA stands for anti-nuclear antibodies. It basically means that the body is making antibodies to its own cells. It can come up positive in a few anti-immune disorders like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and has been known to show up in fibromylagia, at times. It's not really a conclusive test because it's not specific for any one disease and it's not always raised. But if it shows up, it helps for a diagnosis.
    It tends to only show up in about 50% of cases for auto-immune disorders.

Hope this helps.
  5. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

Thanks for your replys,,i`ll be going to the Dr. this

morning for my results,,,,,gmom,,,,,
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

but the doctor diagnosed me with FM. I have had other blood tests that (to me) indicate Lupus, yet - no other diagnoses yet. As mentioned, it does not totally confirm a certain auto immune diagnoses. I was told by Rheumy that some ppl. just have positive ANAs all of their life.

I would understand that, if I did not have all of the other symptoms/signs that go along with it.

Please let us know what they say.
    Hugs
    Kim
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Mine has been positive for over a year but I also have only been diagnosed with FM and I also have cloitis which I guess could possibly raise it but I am not sure. Hope we all find some answers....hugs...Mick!!