Who likes spirulina?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

and what's a good kind of it or brand? Are other kinds of sea vegetables better?

I want to start taking it to help with my thyroid, and for all the minerals it has. I read that it works so well that it can cause hyperthyroid symptoms if too much is taken. So I'm hyped up to get some.

Also, how much are you taking, what time of day, and how do you get past that gnarly taste? And how do you feel when you take it? What differences do you notice?

Thank you. :) ((( ))) Shannon
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

and my current dose is 3g of each though not all at once. I take 3 seperate doses of spirulina at 1 gram.

I had thryoid problems (hyper and hypo), food based iodine would trigger hyperthyroid symptoms and the iodine dye used for x rays etc caused me to go into analphylactic shock.

In the past chlorella caused GI tract distress, this is not uncommon, and it made me go hyperthyroid; so you can imagine my delight at tolerating it now.

There are tablets as well as powders for both of these. You need to find sources grown in unpolluted water.

If I were starting afresh I would opt for the spirulina first, in my case I used the chlorella first to help with excreting toxins from die off. Spirulina should not cause you to go hyperthyroid but should bring about a gradual increase in energy. I always suggest starting on a very low dose of anything new, and that's what I did with both of these.

It usually takes a while to feel the benefits from these algaes. They can strengthen the immune repsonse, especially spirulina, so they should be used with care in auto immune diseases. My immune system can go into overdrive; before I started these functional foods my IS and other systems were already more stable. So far there have been no problems and I continue to progress.

If you type spirulina into the search box you will find info that's been posted here.

love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 11/26/2005]
  3. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I do have some autoimmune issues (Hashimoto's thyroditis and rheumatoid arthritis) so I wonder if something to boost my immune would be a good idea? It's kind of confusing for me. Anyone know about taking spirulina with these conditions?
  4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    This is a great post!

I just started taking spirulina a week ago. First I startd with Sun Chlorella (I take 2/3 the rcommended dose to save money) and now I have added spirulina (at 1/2 the dose).

I think what Tansy says is very wise. So far I haven't had any reactions except more energy. :) Let's see what hapens.

Oh, I take them twice a day, with breakfast and with dinner, right along with my other supplements.

Terry
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I started drinking Spirutein shakes about a year and a half ago. I think it helped alot in some ways. Alot of my brain capacity came back. The fatigue it doesn't help. I'm still tired all the time. But the muscle pain it does help. When I drink the stuff, I hardly ever need to take a pain pill. You can get it from all the major healthfood places. It comes in different flavors, but I've tried most of them and tend to stick with the plain vanilla and add a banana. I have Hashimoto's and I think the spirutein has evened it out a bit. I no longer take thyroid pills, they were making me sick. So that was one reason I went on this stuff. I'd say it made my thyroid function a bit better. I don't really notice the taste of the stuff anymore. I make it with two and a quarter scoops of the stuff, one banana, and about ten ice cubes in the blender. I think you just get used to the taste after awhile. The chocolate peanut flavor they have is also good.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/26/2005]