Who practices simple living?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SweetT, Dec 30, 2006.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I have really been on a journey for the past several years to live simply. Simple living is not just pennypinching, but rather knowing what to spend more on and eliminating the unnecessary. You need only one or 2 tvs, not 5, in your home. You need a coat that will last--------you don't want to buy them every fall. So it's okay to pay $200 for a high-quality one. However, if you can catch it for $100 on clearance, that's even better.

Basically, whatever saves time and money in the long wrong, is best for simple living.

Does anyone else try to live this way? I would think that with our illnesses we have been forced to do so.
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

No choice, but I do like to splurge every now and again and have some treats.

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes I Have Learned many many financial short cuts over the last 9 years! For example:) I Go to the grocery store once a month and buy stuff in bulk.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Have basic cable and try to stick to a very reg routine as far as my days go!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Took me along time to learn how to prevent a Flare if possible!,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,and trying to weed out the stressful people in my life,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Shopping on line saves time and gas for me. Oh well you get the scoop!.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm still learning!,,,,S
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Plus we have no choice as we have very little income. The town where we live has their own dollars and one can exchange or barter for these dollars. A few stores accept the dollars and tradespeople too.

We hardly ever buy anything new unless it is marked down from the mark down!!!

Even though we do live simply some in our town even have little cabs that hold two people or three kids they PEDAL power around town (and it is hilly here)live in homes made of straw bales etc. I mean they don't even have a radio! except aq wind up one for emergencies.

We love the computer but are not big on TV, don't have a cell phone etc. Have very few clothes but I do love my washer and dryer for sure.

Next door live a couple who say they cannot afford to buy a home yet they have a boat and five cars all in good shape (three people only drive)and I have other people with so much "stuff" it makes me reel.

So good for you. We could all do with a little less.

Love Annie Cromwell
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

right, Annie. People can afford whatever they think they can afford.

Two gals at the office. One buys clothes at the mall every weekend. "I can't afford to travel like Helen. I don't know how she does it."

And Helen is vice versa.

I live frugally. Buy clothes at the thirft shop, have a 19 year old car, no cable tv, no dining out, no movies or theater. But I still have more material goods and money than most people in the world.
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

....pretty much. Too many things can clutter up our lives.

Have you read "Not Buying That" by someone whose name I can't remember? lol

7. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi SweetT,

I can't seem to do otherwise after raising 4 children and having had close to 40 foster children coming thru it got to be second nature to us. Every week someone needed shoes or clothing of some sort. I've always sewn most of my clothing because I enjoyed making them myself. I also did several types of needlework mostly because I could and often homemade sure beats the quality of store bought.

I highly agree with the idea that Americans tend to be very wasteful with everything they work hard to get,but throw the same things away soon after.Hubby drives a trash compactor truck and some of the stuff he's brought home still had tags attached.We do have several customers who leave things aside for him to pass on to others who need help. We've recycled more computers and small appliances than I could count but the don't become waste.
  8. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

There are a bunch of websites that give you great ideas about saving lots of money. Dining on a Dime is one...and cheapskates is another...but there was one I used a few years ago that was great.

I do not keep up to date with the "newest" of anything. We do not have flat screen tvs, nor do we have game systems, or expensive furniture...etc.

I get a thrill when I save money. The only thing that I am not as good at is banking those savings when it happens...that would really make things better for my bottom line.

Just the other day I went to my pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions and there was one that was going to cost $40...and I asked shy I had to have it. It was actually lipitor, and my cardiologist prescribed it when I was in the hospital. When I called his office to find out if I needed to take it, he told me that he had not prescribed it...so that was scarry. I shudder to think how long I might have been taking it and paying $40 per month for it!

I have also taken advantage of the drug store wars. They are advertising $30 gift cards for a new or transfered prescription. I waited until my own, favorite pharmacy said they would match all competitors offers and brought in lots of coupons.

Lets get a bunch of ideas on saving money together...it would be a great post!
  9. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Okay, for those who think soy is bad for you, your stomach might turn a little bit. But we are lactose-intolerant in my home, and while we can tolerate a tiny bit of milk in products, we cannot drink cow's milk straight. So we've been drinking soy milk. In the United States, a half-gallon of soy milk costs the same as a gallon of cow's milk. So I had been spending $12 to $18 per week on milk alone.

I decided to try a soymilk maker. You buy dry soybeans, which only cost about 79 cents per pound (and you can make 4 batches with one pound), add purified water, and in 13 minutes, you have soymilk. You then let it cool and add whatever you want. I am also going to try almond milk, but I'm the only one that likes that.

So that's an example of simple living. Yes, I paid about $130, including shipping and warranty, etc., for it. But it should pay for itself in 2 and a half months. It's worth it because it'll be money and energy(from lugging the cartons each week) saved in the long run.

Having CFS and Fibro makes me look forward to convenience gadgets and even occasional treats and splurges. But I always make sure that my bills are paid first.
  10. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I try to be simple, but mostly I'm too tired to think about it ;) And having Fibro, I do think that it's important to treat yourself with something nice every once and awhile to make life a little more bearable.
  11. mindbender

mindbender New Member

The Guy Who Wrote The Book "Not Buying That" is the same guy that wrote "Some Times I Forget"