Who Remembers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jan 10, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

8- track tapes , Hoolahoops, 2 wheel bikes, volkswagon Vans, Crabby Teachers with Rulers, Just waiting to bop you on the Head or Hands if and when you talked out of turn!

Afros, Bellbottoms, One Phone in the house on the Kitchen wall, also one TV in the House.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just Reminissing back to the good old days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,S
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

who had just about had it with us. He took his pointing stick and CRACK! down it came on the table. Well, it scared me so bad that I drew a big mark through my masterpiece! Doubt if they do that anymore.....
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

corporal punishment when I was a kid. I have a vague notion that it was illegal.

I remember when these things were new:

ball point pens
    pop-it beads
    long-playing records

automatic transmissions
    dome lights in the car
    turn signals

the slinky
    silly putty

Mary Tyler Moore
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm old. But, you know, I like the memories I have.

Thanks for the memories.

5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

At school we used to get strapped by a leather belt if we misbehaved.Oh boy,was that sore,getting a couple of lashes over your hands,especially on a cold Scottish morning.But this was considered so draconian that it was outlawed in 1982 in my second year at high school.
    Nowadays,its the kids that run the schools,if a teacher was to hit a kid these days,they would get the jail.How times have changed.
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

There was a sliding scale of how many lashes you received:
    If you did something not too serious you would get say,as we used to term it in Scotland:"one of the belt" or if you did something a little more serious you may have got "two of the belt" or if you did something really evil there were pupils known to get up to "6 of the belt".

Thinking back I can't believe that the authorities got away with that,I mean criminals get treated better these days.Thanks sisland,that has really got me thinking.
  7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I was born in '68 as well & remember the commodore 64.Did you ever hear of a computer called a ZX Spectrum,that was my first computer.
    Anyone remember Betamax video recorders?
  8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh,this is bringing back old memories.Never got 6 of the belt but remember getting 2 of the belt for the most heinous crime,lol,talking in class,LOL.
    Hey rock,do I have the right to make a retrospective claim against my old school,LOL????????????
  9. cobra21

cobra21 New Member

Hi, my son had a spectrum ZX. I'm sure its in the loft somewhere.

Just looked at your profile and Hubby says picture is near Braemar, but I think it's near Plockton. Please put us out of our misery if you can. Thanks.
  10. rockgor

The answer to most legal questions is: It Depends.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think it's fairly safe to say any claim you may have had is barred by the statute of limitations.

That'll be five pounds, Laddie.

11. paulmack

paulmack New Member

It's not in Scotland i'm afraid to say.It's called The Gap of Dunloe,which is a spectacular path thro Mcgillycuddy Reeks mountains,just outside Killarney in SW Ireland.
    Check my profile again & it lists all my posts there under the chitchat board & if you scroll down to 5thJan2007 you'll see a post named "New Pic Guess Where".If you click on that you'll see all the details.
    Hey rock,do you accept postal orders for the fiver,LOL
  12. rockgor

I accept everything except blame and responsibility.

But never mind. Your friendship is easily worth 5 pounds.

You ever notice about Irish songs? They are full of the names of towns and counties.
  13. sisland

sisland New Member

Hey were doin good! Thanks for participating!! Made me giggle! I'm thinking that the new stuff hit the east coast first!! LOL ,,,,,,,We Had Paddles in School (wooden Boards with holes in them ),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That could be used to reprimand us!,,,,,,,,,,As Paul was saying However many swats you got depended on the crime! (-of the Belt)

Hey i got in trouble with a social studies teacher in the 7th grade for talking out of turn! (according to him of course!) He wapped me on the Head with a ruler and told me to go to the Princepils (SP) office where i got more mouthy! And an F on my report card OMG!! first an only F!

Broke my Heart!!""""""Sob! Friday Night was Cruseing Main with 7 of your Friends in the car and 2 bottles of Boons farm Wine ! Oh Yeah and a Football Game or 2!
  14. paulmack

paulmack New Member

All legal eagles accept everything but blame & responsibility,LOL.
    Is it true you used to be on the stage,sorry I mean't to say in the courtroom,& I was wondering if this is where you get your enthusiasm for the theatre,LOL.
    Irish songs,gee there's one about Athenry,Galway Bay,Christmas in Killarney,County of Armagh,I'll need to get my thinking cap(or tammy,LOL) on & think of some more.
  15. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm old too!! born in 57 Wow! can't believe it! Party lines were exciteing where i grew up! Due to the fact that they had 5 lines going to one! and they were all my aunts and uncles!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We all lived in the same area!,,,,,,,,,,,Hillbilly Heaven Lol,,,,,,,,thanks for the memory of Go-Go boots! and Lincoln logs! (i had thoes!),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rock and everyone remember the Carol Burnett show? with Dick-Van Dyke ,,,, and Tim Conway and Harvey Corman???? I think that was his last Name,,,,,,
  16. rockgor

Burnette Show. I'm so old I remember what she looked like BPS. (Before Plastic Surgery.)

Harvey Korman was originally named Harvey Wallbanger. He had to change it for professional reasons.

I'm so old I remember Big Little Books. (Worth big bucks now. Fifty bucks for one in good condition.) And pickup sticks. And Lincoln Logs. And a new board game called Clue.

And Howdie Doodey. And Clarabelle the Clown who became Cpt. Kangaroo. And the cartoon Crusader Rabbit which was the forerunner to Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I remember when radios and phonographs were furniture. I knew a couple w/ an early tv. It was narrow, about 4 feet high, made of wood, and had a screen about 6 inches by 6 inches. Cost about a month's salary.

You could buy a magnifying screen to put in front of your tv screen. Or, in the days before color tv, you could buy a color screen tht you mounted in front of the tv. The top was blue, the bottom was green and the middle was red.

Perfect for watching a blue sky, a fire engine, and green grass. Not much good for anything else tho.

I remember tv commericals that were not on film. The announcer held up a can of something and said, "Buy this."

I remember soap operas that were on for 15 min. a day, five days a week. There were only two basic plots: an out of wedlock baby and someone had amnesia.

Things moved so slowly you could go away for a year of college, come home, and your mother could get you all caught up on the plot while you drank a cup of coffee.

My Dad had a restaurant in the 40s. A meal cost 35 cents. Coffee was 5 cents a cup, unlimited refills. A bottle (not a can) of soda cost a nickle. If you wanted to take it home there was a 2 cent deposit on the bottle.

There; that's my 2 cents worth.

17. sisland

sisland New Member

Rock your a walking (Sitting-Typeing- encyclopedia) LOL,,,, thanks for the memories! Remember that song by the one and only BoB Hope??,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Frank Sinatra~~~~~Dean Martin~~~Johnny Carson~~~~Bing Crosby! Jerry Lewis~~~~~~

Huckelberry Hound! The Flinstones! The Jetsons! Tom and Jerry,,,, I Miss these cartoons alot!
    We also had a Stero/phonograph made into a wood cabinet like you talk about!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Do you Have the A&W Resteurants in California? Home of the famous Rootbeer floats?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  18. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

In fact I was just thinking about lining up in school for our vaccines and our polio sugar cube too.

What the heck did they call that?

Nancy B
  19. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Does anyone remember, from the original Capt. Kangaroo show (60's) he had a funny guy on regularly called "The Banana Man?" I loved how he had bananas in all his pockets and filled up his train with them.
  20. mary124

mary124 New Member

Gumby doll---
    Sheriff John (in LA, Ca)
    McDonald's Hamburger costing 15 cents
    Dairy Queen Ice Cream - a single costs 5 cents, double 10 cents and triple 25 cents
    hoola Hoop
    Captain Kangaroo
    Candy Cigs.
    I could go on, but I won't as a lot of them are repeats. Thanks for sharing the memories.